John Norris Ni1 DH rod

kingfisher

Reaction score
After having a rethink on rods I had I decided to add a small 12’ rod to my armoury.
I have a couple of switch rods for lighter work but felt I needed a 12’ for the smaller rivers I see my self fishing now and in the future.

As my bank account wouldn’t stretch to a high end Sage or loop etc, the above JN Ni1 range looked good on paper. I plumped for the 12’ 7-8 weight with the following spec on it.

3A quality cork handle with rubberised ends for added durability
Switch rod has a 2in bottom handle
Lightweight, down locking aluminium reel seat
Stripping guides designed to prevent excessive tangling
Extra-large tip ring to better handle loop to loop connections
Delivered in a lightweight cordura tube with cloth rod bag
Stunning charcoal finish

On receipt I gave it the customery wiggle waggle test and it felt lovely.
light in the hand and felt stiff as these small Scandi designed rods generally are. The Cork isn’t triple AAA, as there was too much filler within to call it that, but not enough to give it a second thought.
The reel seat was nicely made and anodised with the unmissable small logo of Guideline whom make this and the blanks. I’d go further and say going by the whipping and general quality look of it that the whole rod is made by them.
So far very impressed and yesterday I paired it up with the JN Ni1 7-8 SH. Again well made by the looks of it.

Yesterday i I had the opportunity to fish with it on the South Esk, and I can say what a wee peach of a rod. It was well balanced and that stiffness gave way to power when needed. It could cast effortlessly and even I got on great with it. Light enough that you didn’t feel as if you’d been fishing all day with it. Friends with me also gave very favourable feedback after trying it out.

I can’t say enough how great this rod is for the cash involved £190 and if I was to tape over the JN name on the butt, I would bet my bottom dollar no one would guess its a cheap rod from JN instead thinking it’s from a more expensive and big named manufacturer.
Goes without saying anyone looking for a small rod and doesn’t mind the name on the rod should seriously consider this rod for all it costs and you won’t be disappointed.

Rrrr

Reaction score
To be honest even the pricey guideline rods seem to have alot of filler in the handles and the jn norris rod is made by them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

allysshrimp

Reaction score
First thing I did yesterday, was grab the rod off Kenny and give it a cast. :D
I didn't need much time with it to make my mind up, half a dozen casts or so was enough for me.
It's a beautifully finished, feels great in the hand and a bargain at the price.
Cover the dacals up and you would think you had a top end rod in your hand. Had I been in the market for a rod in this range, I would have one o these in an instant.

T7

Reaction score
They don’t seem to have them in larger sizes. I’d be tempted by a 14-15 footer as I have plenty of smaller rods and not much call for them

kingfisher

Reaction score
This may be the start of going up in size depending on reviews and demand. Tbh most are getting rid of big rods nowadays unless your mostly on the big rivers the majority of your fishing.
I have a 14’-9” Guideline LeCie And hardly get the opportunity to use it nowadays.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks for your review of this rod.

I am on the lookout for a 12ft double hander myself and had seen this rod but was unsure about it.

Going by your comments and others on this thread, I may have one for next season. :)

ibm59

Reaction score
First thing I did yesterday, was grab the rod off Kenny and give it a cast. :D
I didn't need much time with it to make my mind up, half a dozen casts or so was enough for me.
It's a beautifully finished, feels great in the hand and a bargain at the price.
Cover the dacals up and you would think you had a top end rod in your hand. Had I been in the market for a rod in this range, I would have one o these in an instant.
Seconded , Bill.
Nice , user friendly , rod, even in the dreadful conditions that we suffered yesterday.

wetwader

Reaction score
They don’t seem to have them in larger sizes. I’d be tempted by a 14-15 footer as I have plenty of smaller rods and not much call for them
I would be wondering, if it’s not the same, at least close in material, taper and performance to the Elevate series.
They are now discontinued by Guideline also and available in 13‘7 #9/10 and 14’8 #10/11.

wetwader

Reaction score
Hello Kingfisher,
thank you for your review.
I was casting the Guideline Elevate in 12’ #7/8. A very nice rod for the price. I am not sure if it’s the same.
But may I ask you what line you use on your rod?
Thank you in advance.

And tight lines with your new rod!

kingfisher

Reaction score
I used the John Norris Ni1 7/8 floating Shooting Head.
At first I thought it a tad heavy for the rod but friends said it was bang on and it felt it matched better the more I used it
At £19.99 for the SH it was a bargain too

wetwader

Reaction score
I used the John Norris Ni1 7/8 floating Shooting Head.
At first I thought it a tad heavy for the rod but friends said it was bang on and it felt it matched better the more I used it
At £19.99 for the SH it was a bargain too
Thank you. That’s a head of 33 Gramm. From description they say it can cast any sinktip. I guess they are talking about Polyleader?
But anyhow, a real bargain. It looks like Airflo production.
How can they offer it for those prices...

Last edited:

kingfisher

Reaction score
Not so much how can they (JN) offer these prices in quality like that but how much we get ripped off when paying for a butt name change!

lefthandup

Reaction score
If they did a travel rod I'd be on this .
Also a 13 ft rod would be a goer for me too.

Looks a nice rod.

lefthandup

Reaction score
4 pc Colin and thus quite a small tube
Is that a 12 ft rod Kenny ?
If I'm headed back to BC next year I'd ideally like a 13 ft rod to partner the 13,9 shakey...a 12 may be on the small side for those rivers...I've plenty of time though.
I'll maybe get a cast if your ever down my way next season.

kingfisher

Reaction score
Yes it’s a 12’ Colin.
if you want a shot of it or can borrow one from a tackle shop nearby
its a powerful wee rod and I think you’d be pleasantly surprised!

northernchris

Reaction score
Thank you. That’s a head of 33 Gramm. From description they say it can cast any sinktip. I guess they are talking about Polyleader?
But anyhow, a real bargain. It looks like Airflo production.
How can they offer it for those prices...
It's a Airflo Rage but darker Blue in colour, as made by BVG Airflo. Been running 1 on my 12'6" Method #7, it will cast most tips with ease. Fantastic value at £20