John Norris Fly tying sale today

Woodsy

Reaction score
Got another email from John Norris today who are doing a one day sale. Part of the sale is 40% off all fly tying gear.

I managed to bag a brand new atlas anvil with pedestal and clamp for only £120...what a bargain! Osprey hooks are working out less than 50p each too :)

The code is FLY40 but you may need to be subscribed to their mailing list, I'm not too sure.

Happy bargain hunting :)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Got another email from John Norris today who are doing a one day sale. Part of the sale is 40% off all fly tying gear.

I managed to bag a brand new atlas anvil with pedestal and clamp for only £120...what a bargain! Osprey hooks are working out less than 50p each too :)

The code is FLY40 but you may need to be subscribed to their mailing list, I'm not too sure.

Might be the time to stock up on hooks and teach me to read my emails! 😂

Thanks woodsy! 👍

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Might be the time to stock up on hooks and teach me to read my emails! 😂

Thanks woodsy! 👍
Thanks but unfortunately no use to us outside of the UK as they no longer supply outside of the UK, presumably thanks to Brexit. Another market simply closed due to Boris and the problems associated with his great frictionless trade deal.
The same presumably applies in reverse for Irish and other European tackle shops selling into the UK. The only people who have really got a hang of the issues are amazon or some very large retailers.
Glasgow Angling now exclude most feathers for non uk sales and in reality, are not properly set up to supply non UK customers. My discounted hodgmans waders took a month to arrive and only then after repeatedly chasing UPS who sent me daily updates saying the parcel's status had changed and was clearing customs when in reality nothing was happening. They were only released after I sent UPS copies of the original invoice and proof of payment (twice). UPS are mean to deal with the customs clearance but clearly their systems do not unless the customer chases them. Fortunately, they were basically going to be a backup pair so I wasn't stuck.
The problem, I think was the generic declaration of fishing tackle on the package rather than declaring the contents properly.
Once restrictions go I wonder if will we see any Uk (other than Northern Irish) suppliers at Irish fly tying shows? Exhibitors, other than booksellers, unless they chance their arm on going through customs with the head down are likely to struggle with VAT, Cites certs and duties on certain goods.

Last edited:

chriswjx

Reaction score
On another note, you should have heard me this morning when I got sent this... I'd just received my £50 worth of doubles from GAC 😠

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks but unfortunately no use to us outside of the UK as they no longer supply outside of the UK, presumably thanks to Brexit. Another market simply closed due to Boris and the problems associated with his great frictionless trade deal.
The same presumably applies in reverse for Irish and other European tackle shops selling into the UK. The only people who have really got a hang of the issues are amazon or some very large retailers.
Glasgow Angling now exclude most feathers for non uk sales and in reality, are not properly set up to supply non UK customers. My discounted hodgmans waders took a month to arrive and only then after repeatedly chasing UPS who sent me daily updates saying the parcel's status had changed and was clearing customs when in reality nothing was happening. They were only released after I sent UPS copies of the original invoice and proof of payment (twice). UPS are mean to deal with the customs clearance but clearly their systems do not unless the customer chases them. Fortunately, they were basically going to be a backup pair so I wasn't stuck.
The problem, I think was the generic declaration of fishing tackle on the package rather than declaring the contents properly.
Once restrictions go I wonder if will we see any Uk (other than Northern Irish) suppliers at Irish fly tying shows? Exhibitors, other than booksellers, unless they chance their arm on going through customs with the head down are likely to struggle with VAT, Cites certs and duties on certain goods.

I wasn't aware that that was the situation for yous in the South.

Is it not more expensive for you to buy from the UK anyway? I'd have thought, with the euro and that, it would be less expensive for those in the Republic to order from the likes of Taimen in Poland or some of the French or German suppliers?

Brexit could, and should, have made Northern Ireland an extremely rich nation if we only had politicians that weren't driven by ideology. A proper staging post for moving our goods to both the UK and EU and the same with imports. Its is a severe dereliction of duty of our economy minister that she wasn't beating down doors on the UK mainland selling Northern Ireland's position of having a finger in both pies. A few of those companies that moved to France after Brexit could have come here and gave jobs to the people here. A terrible opportunity missed while our politicians bicker about nonsense.

It would appear that nothing will be the same for yous again either then. 🙁

Slaneybs

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that that was the situation for yous in the South.

Is it not more expensive for you to buy from the UK anyway? I'd have thought, with the euro and that, it would be less expensive for those in the Republic to order from the likes of Taimen in Poland or some of the French or German suppliers?

Brexit could, and should, have made Northern Ireland an extremely rich nation if we only had politicians that weren't driven by ideology. A proper staging post for moving our goods to both the UK and EU and the same with imports. Its is a severe dereliction of duty of our economy minister that she wasn't beating down doors on the UK mainland selling Northern Ireland's position of having a finger in both pies. A few of those companies that moved to France after Brexit could have come here and gave jobs to the people here. A terrible opportunity missed while our politicians bicker about nonsense.

It would appear that nothing will be the same for yous again either then. 🙁
Even allowing for sterling, pre-Brexit and keeping your eyes open, you could get good value buying from GAC or John Norris in their sales as they are volume dealers and get access to the end of line stuff which may not be widely available to others. Likewise, currency movements made Clonanav for example very competitive to UK buyers on occasion.

As you say NI should be benefiting from dual market access and it is crazy that some ministers feel it is more important to drive a wedge between NI and Europe rather than help create get jobs for thier constituents. I always thought that Cookstown sausages were better than most GB supermarket's own label stuff. It does piss me off that post Brexitwe can no longer get free samples of UK seeds in gardening magazines here anymore, but if I was based in Belfast it would drive me mad.

Positive engagement on the protocol could sort most, but not all of the issues out. Frost claiming that he didn't think the EU would actually enforce the agreement he and his colleagues negotiated fools no one and leaves you questioning if you can trust the current UK government to stick to any agreement they make and that unfortunately is the big issue stopping progress.

As far as I know, the only NI retailer trying to benefit from the new arrangements is Serious Fishing who have an EU as well as a UK site. Despite some terrible reviews here on the Forum I have found them quite good, and for example, they could supply stuff that was out of stock down here.

I have dealt with Spanish (a guideline ULS tip out of stock everywhere else) and Austrian supplier ( a "good" price if there is such a thing, on a PetitJean vice toolbar and light) but was handy to get stuff from John Norris and I miss the chance of a bargain.

ibm59

Reaction score
For all you lads on the Irish isle , ADH were excellent to deal with pre the Brexit brain fart.
Might still be.

JoeE

Reaction score
For all you lads on the Irish isle , ADH were excellent to deal with pre the Brexit brain fart.
Might still be.

They still are even to NI as well

KChrome

Reaction score

Thanks very much for the heads up Woodsy,

Managed to get my hands on some decent fly tying gear that I had been toying with for a while!

Birkin

Reaction score
Got my order in and saved a few bob.
Don’t understand the Brexit debate and costing more to order from the EU. Ordered reel from Sweden less vat on the Monday, paid the vat and duty on the Tuesday and the reel was delivered on the Wednesday afternoon and I saved £2.50.

offshore

Reaction score

You have done quite a few people a favour with this post - I have texted several after reading it and at least two have placed orders. I think we are all on the John Norris email list, but none of us had scrolled through the latest one.

Guideline tube doubles at £13.99 for 10 normally seem a bit hard to swallow (no pun intended), but the discount tempted me to stock up - amongst a few other things.

Thanks for sharing.

Woodsy

Reaction score
You have done quite a few people a favour with this post - I have texted several after reading it and at least two have placed orders. I think we are all on the John Norris email list, but none of us had scrolled through the latest one.

Guideline tube doubles at £13.99 for 10 normally seem a bit hard to swallow (no pun intended), but the discount tempted me to stock up - amongst a few other things.

Thanks for sharing.
No worries, I know a few friends that done the same. I waited until I bought the vice to ensure the stock was there before sharing 😂

Woodsy

Reaction score
Mine arrived without the clamp. It seems they are no longer part of the kit. Has yours arrived yet?
Yup and the exact same issue. Emailed them to let them know to update the website but I am not loosing sleep over it as I would probably not actually need it

DonnieH

Reaction score
Yeah probably not use it myself although mine was broken anyway. They were great and have one left they are going to send.