John Andrews

flyman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was watching the U Tube video of the Helmdale opening day.And noticed near the start what looked like John Andrews standing in the background.There has not been much output from John in recent years,when you think back he was quite a prolific Writer and Videomaker on salmon topics .Anybody else spot him.

flyman

Last edited:

goosander

Reaction score
Was wondering if he was still on the go.
It was my son Barry that was in the Game Fishers Year aged ten. Intresting to note the changes in outlook among the fishers now and thirty years ago.

simon grace

Reaction score
Yes..He's on the scene and I find this thread really quite strange as I was on the phone to him earlier today:eek:. I fished and ghillied with John for years on the Tay in the Aberfeldy area.He's alive and well and running a Sporting Agency up in Caithness...;)

Last edited:

ibm59

Reaction score
" Here's a handy stone ":D

I liked John's stuff , and I'm glad to hear that he's still on the go.:)

Anyone else remember the big , back end , Earn fish that ran him ragged ?

Last edited:

simon grace

Reaction score
" Here's a handy stone ":D

I liked John's stuff , and I'm glad to hear that he's still on the go.:)

Anyone else remember the big , back end , Earn fish that ran him ragged ?
The one where he slammed the rod down on the rocks and nearly stood on it so he could hand tail it out?? :eek::eek:

Last edited:

Bluepearl

Reaction score
Used to have a few of his videos good to watch, still remember the sound of the line shooting through the rings of that big rod. Videos got passed around wonder where they ended up.

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
Springers on North-Esk

Remember him looking at the Morphie Aquarium,three toppers on the bank one with a hole in the belly from a seal.Also fishing on the islands with his kilt on blowing a hooley.

ibm59

Reaction score
The one where he slammed the rod down on the rocks and nearly stood on it so he could hand tail it out??
Lowish backend water , and the fish almost took him round the " wrong " side of a shingle island briefly snagging the line in the process ??
Wee Partridge treble fly ?

I still smile when I think about it:D

Bluepearl

Reaction score
Lowish backend water , and the fish almost took him round the " wrong " side of a shingle island briefly snagging the line in the process ??
Wee Partridge treble fly ?

I still smile when I think about it:D
Where about on the Earn was that guys ?

simon grace

Reaction score
Thanks Simon, I suppose that'll be private.

I think its a syndicate that have the beat or at least it was then and John was a member.I went along for the ride as I had a day off that day with no rods booked.
To be honest I've never seen as many large fish in a river.Nearly every fish you saw that day either on the bank or in the river was 20lb+ & there were plenty of them too.That was in the late 80s.I wonder how the Earn looks now??

Last edited:

gotoneon

Reaction score
I know John has his critics BUT I love the vids he did. So honest and not edited like the modern stuff.
so you get things like "heres a handy stone" as IBM said and Blupearl pointing out the "its a bit red but will smoke well".
Couple of my other favs were when young Barry (gooseys boy) hooked into a fish on Earn, "well there you are young Barrys got one on and I was just about to fish here!"
My favourite was when he was on the Helmsdale and it was blowin a hoolie in spring. It looked horrific and he come out with the line we have used on numerous occasions "This is for real men.
All the talk of Baggots rawners etc etc is shown up well on the Spey when John thinks the fish his mate catches at Tulchan I think, is a rawner and they open it up to find two wee roes hence the fish was just a bit dark. Again no editing to make him look good.
Loved all his vids. Great stuff. I dare him to make another one and show a fish being chapped etc etc :D:D:D:p

Mickfish

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed all of John's videos' at a time when I was absolutely so nuts about salmon fishing that I simply could not get enough of the sort of coverage coming from people like Falkus, Ogelsby and John.

In one video he was fishing the Inver with a 12' single handed rod made, as John said, by Malcolm Grey of Alnwick - i.e. in the days when Greys was still independent.

Falkus used a section of John's filming on the Earn to point out the deficiencies of overhead casting at the start of his own video on Speycasting - John was a very capable overhead caster it seemed but if I remember rightly he had turned to Speycasting in his last video??

When John covered all the seasons he finished on the a section of the River Lune and caught a few red fish which he returned ("never let it be said that I raped an English river"- I've often wondered where that was. Someone told me it was the Rigmaden beat?

I'm delighted that he is alive and well as his video's gave me so much pleasure. Will get them down from the loft tonight and give them an airing.

Mick

Last edited:

twentypunner

Reaction score
Video

Mickfish
The bit in the video that said the English river was the Lune! This was actually on a beat of the lower Derwent with John Nolan.They said it was the Lune because the owners did'nt want any publicity.I know the beat very well.At the time the video was circulating i realised this & mentioned it to John Nolan.He told me that was the reason.Also enjoyed the video's,Classic!!
Neil

Last edited:

helmsdale

Reaction score
He had a good contact in Gerald Panchaud who owned Tulcan and Amhuinnsuidhe Castle fishings at the time. I enjoyed the videos and hope to convert them to DVD soon. I am surprised he is not selling them in DVD format. Fishing Amhuinnsuidhe Castle is now £29.5K per week for 12 rods. I am not sure the fishing is as good as it was. But then, that is the state of salmon fishing these days.:(

orchy1999

Reaction score
Aye Ron cracking films:D watched them a hunner times in years gone past. I am sure i saw one of his films last week in the GAC in DVD format oops sorry mate:p Honest i was only doing a reccy for some mate of mine:rolleyes: as we all know you are the man for the best deals in the UK:D:D

gotoneon

Reaction score
He had a good contact in Gerald Panchaud who owned Tulcan and Amhuinnsuidhe Castle fishings at the time. I enjoyed the videos and hope to convert them to DVD soon. I am surprised he is not selling them in DVD format. Fishing Amhuinnsuidhe Castle is now £29.5K per week for 12 rods. I am not sure the fishing is as good as it was. But then, that is the state of salmon fishing these days.:(

Aye Ron but tha'll be the accomodation as well . . . . :eek::eek::eek::D:D;)