Jockfall in June ??

An Sionnach

Reaction score
Hi
I am hoping to go on a trip to Sweden in June/July this year but I have no idea what to expect. I would be thrilled if anyone out there with any suitable information could reply. I intend using both fly and spinner so all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks :eek:

Heero

Reaction score
My advice is: dont overlook the sauna. Being that far north, Im certain its a traditional wood burner and an absolute delight.

billy fish

Reaction score
Jockfalls

This is on the Kalix river . The pool below the falls is huge and most of the locals fish with medium to heavy spinning gear . However they fish the fly, normally big tubes, on a paternoster rig. A rotten bottom is necessary because the river bed is very rocky. There is/ or was a kiosk at the falls which sells permits . Find out when the season starts as it may be different to other parts of Scandinavia. The fish do run big . We didn't connect but we saw some "lumps" leave the pool with anglers in hopeless pursuit.

Colin.

An Sionnach

Reaction score
Advice for fishing in Sweden including Jockfall !

Am.. Thanks Heero ?? I think.. Is there a hidden meaning there suggesting I may be better off warming my backside, sipping whiskey instead of casting :confused::p

Thanks Billyfish, just wondering what types of rod and reel and line should I use for spinning ? Would a 6000 reel be too weak??
Thanks for replying !

Last edited:

Heero

Reaction score
No double meaning, just saying that if you're willing to brave the shock of a bunch of naked Scandos and quite possibly some Finns, to boot, there is no better tonic after a hard day's fishing than a proper sauna. :p

S

Sink23

I don't think they hold the Sauna World Championship in Finland anymore after the death of a contestant in 2010!!!

billy fish

Reaction score
Fishing in Sweden

Am.. Thanks Heero ?? I think.. Is there a hidden meaning there suggesting I may be better off warming my backside, sipping whiskey instead of casting :confused::p

Thanks Billyfish, just wondering what types of rod and reel and line should I use for spinning ? Would a 6000 reel be too weak??
Thanks for replying !

You are not far from the Tornio. They have good runs of fish. We fished from the Finish side some years ago but the river was very wide and daunting in size. We had a couple by harling . We heard from meeting travelling anglers that the upper reaches , where it was smaller , had very good fishing.
On the way up to our cabin we saw an angler walking up from his boat carrying a large bag. Obviously a fish we asked to see it. He tipped out a 20 kilo Baltic salmon as if it were common. My mate then asked "just the one ?". This was totally lost on the Fin , but gave us a chuckle.
Colin.

An Sionnach

Reaction score
:D WOW

What spinning reel would you need to hold them monsters ? I seriously need to get something strong enough. I also need a rod strong enough.
Anyone willing to offer advice :confused:

Cheers !

An Sionnach

Reaction score
Anyone actually caught these big fish with spinning equipment out there ? I just want to know what rod and reel combo you would suggest. Need a reel to hold 300 metres of 65lb power pro. Ideally something useful on home waters but if it's not to be then so be it.
Where are the spin anglers ?:confused: