January Fly Swap

Sawyer

Reaction score
IMG_1660.jpg
10 of these leaving shortly, always struggled with heads on tubes as I don't tie too many.

Last edited:

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Yellow Shrimp

Gary
Thanks for organising this - it is great excuse to do a bit of work on the tying desk

Went for something bright and showy for the spring. This is one of my go to patterns for a springer. It is from Peter O' Reilly's book Trout and Salmon Flies of Ireland. It is a great book for what are now more traditional flies and is very well illustrated with photos of all the patterns.

I am always surprised by how showy the badger hackle on this fly is in the water.

You would think after 50 years of tying for myself I could get a consistent finish on 10 flies - not a chance.

I will put them in the post on Monday.
Brian

Yellow Shrimp.JPG

Canewizard

Reaction score
There's quite a few retailers, but most only have a small stock. ADH fishing has a good stock, but they can't have everything, so sometimes I have to look for UK/US alternatives.
Tying probably ain't as popular as in other places. After all we're restricted to trout fishing, because we messed up our riversystems a while ago.
But still, many Germans travel the world in pursuit of the silver tourist.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
A bit like SlaneyBS, many years of tying (mostly badly) and I couldn't tie 2 flies the same if my life depended on it;). I've had a couple of cases of Giganticus Headitis and one repair required. 10 reasons why I'll never be a pro. Huge respect for those that are and can turn out this lot in just over an hour.

That said, they don't look bad now the heads are finished. I'll post this weekend Gary

Attachments

• Totm.jpg
    Totm.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 186

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I've hit 'the wall'. :eek:

6 done with one almost done until I spat the dummy out of pram and didn't finish it. Ended up tying 2 shrimp flies instead.

I'll get them finished over the weekend and in the post next week. :eek:

billy fish

Reaction score
Fly swap

I hit the wall after two. Not best pleased with them but I think I've worked out what I'm doing wrong. I will try to bash them out on Sunday.

IMG_1789.jpg

colin.

Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I thought it was only me who struggled to turn out 10 flies ;);)

I did 10 bodies with tags one weekend and then cracked the 10 flies on a Saturday night. Eat your heart out Keith Richards. I had a 'moment' when the (heavily waxed) thread slipped and a whole head came unraveled.

Everyone's flies look good to me and I'm looking forward to giving them a swim.

Canewizard

Reaction score
The materials finally arrived... Will start tying on Tue. when I'm back home.
IMG_20170122_122959079.jpg
IMG_20170122_123030359.jpg

Greetings from the hatchery

Steve

Sawyer

Reaction score
Mine have gone out tonight, will be there tomorrow.
In advance thanks for organising the swap.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Managed to get mine finished there now. I will get them posted tomorrow.

GaryD

Reaction score
Looks like we may be a wee bit late again, still not finished mine either and got my tax return to do :(, but if everyone can get them posted by the weekend/start of next week should get them returned by end of next week.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Mine are done as per picture but keep forgetting to take them to work so I can nip to post office. Will get them off by Friday Gary

Canewizard

Reaction score
Alright gentlemen,

I can't make a decision, so I'm offering a choice. Here's two similar patterns I tied. Just drop me a pm which one you like better and I'll tie accordingly.

IMG_20170127_214345664.jpg
IMG_20170127_210028869_HDR.jpg

Cheers,

Steve

P.s.: I'll get them finished by monday, post em on tuesday ;)
And a big thank you to Mr. Welsher for helping me and bringing in his expertise

Last edited: