Its Madness !!

Tyke777

Reaction score
The 19th November and I have just given the lawns another topping!!! (although it is the easiest way to collect the leaves ;) )
I have just cleaned off and greased up the mower for winter storage - hopefully that's it for 2021 reference grass cutting 🤞🤞🤞

Andrew B

Reaction score
The 19th November and I have just given the lawns another topping!!! (although it is the easiest way to collect the leaves ;) )
I have just cleaned off and greased up the mower for winter storage - hopefully that's it for 2021 reference grass cutting 🤞🤞🤞
I know it’s really mild today. Don’t salmon take their cue off frosts to spawn

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I know it’s really mild today. Don’t salmon take their cue off frosts to spawn

As I said on another thread, we haven't had a frost here yet. In saying that, there's a couple of redds cut in the river. One might be a trout redd as its not very big.

Most definitely the weirdest year ever. My front garden would need cut but I refuse to dirty the mower as I cleaned it and sprayed it and had already put it away for the winter.

My parents have flowers outside in pots in full bloom.

Something a bit cooler forecast from tomorrow on here. I might get my open fire lit this weekend for only the second time this entire autumn.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Plenty of wasps buzzing around some flowering ivy the other day in a neighbouring garden!
My neighbour from hells beehive sited against my fence is still a hive (sorry) of activity unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ive only fitted 1 car battery this month. Usualy have do well with flat and knackerd batterys in november with the first few decent frosts.

Andrew B

Reaction score
14 degrees in chesire as well.
Buzzers hatching, trout rising.
A pleasant afternoon hunting rainbows.
Leaves just starting to turn on the trees.
You know that’s what I should be going out and doing re chasing rainbows. Having joined a local club with river and two moorland reservoirs I’ve literally only been four times. My reason for not going since the spring was based on how little water they had in em but I’m presuming they’ll be full now?
I can’t see me renewing it next year as I expected to really like fishing these upland stocked reservoirs but quite honestly it just didn’t light that same fire that wild fish in wild places give me.

salarchaser

Reaction score
I can’t see me renewing it next year as I expected to really like fishing these upland stocked reservoirs but quite honestly it just didn’t light that same fire that wild fish in wild places give me.
I spend as much time as I can on rivers and big wild brown trout waters (Lake Vyrnwy, Claerwen, Teifi Pools). However, these are in short supply in cheshire. The syndicate water I fish is 600yds from our small holding. I drive past it a couple times just about every day. It is too convenient to ignore. Fish it a couple times a week.
I've caught more browns than grayling and more grayling than rainbows, though rainbows are catching up.
Was nice this afternoon drifting a boat, with a team of wets casting to rising fish.

Rennie

Reaction score
Out with my Westie's this morning and one of the trees in the park had dropped the whole of it's leaves over night, despite 13deg over night temps. !. It's now absolutely covered in bright green very well formed buds!.
Still fettling the Ivy in the Garden and fed up of batting dozy wasps away!.
Pedro,

westie4566

Reaction score
Ach, I'm just looking forward to a last good forage in the woods for wild mushrooms tomorrow. This mild Autumn has been amazing for them, Taking a pal out for his first time forage and I know I'll get him a decent haul of Winter Chanterelles. The warm temps over the past couple of days may throw up some interesting specimens. According to some of the (very) old hands, 2021 has been to best season for them since 1976.

The weather's going to change for the worse tomorrow so goodbye to the shroom season. Hey ho, it's been a great one. (y)

The dehydrator is about worn out already, lol.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tyke,

That's how I gather the leaves here too. This years lawn cutting saw several interruptions in September by early snow storms. The snow melted off and I had 2 more cuttings before we hit the deep freeze.

kenny007

Reaction score
I planted bulbs about 5 weeks ago and they are shooting already. Any gardeners know if they will survive once the frosts arrive or will they go back under the soil ?

Birkin

Reaction score
Frost last night and +6c at 11.00am with a predicted high of +7c. Still got one rose bud which I'll cut and put in a jar on the table to impress the lady.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Felt like winter when trout fishing this afternoon, the wind was bitter. Had the sense to wear my thermal suit but hands and lugs were freezing

westie4566

Reaction score
I planted bulbs about 5 weeks ago and they are shooting already. Any gardeners know if they will survive once the frosts arrive or will they go back under the soil ?
Spring bulbs are pretty hardy. The new shoots may go a bit yellow but they'll be fine come the spring. I had loads well through last January then we had 2 weeks of proper cold and snow. The display was epic never the less.

Yours will be just fine. They are 'designed' for our winters.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Yesterday was the big change. Started off low teens in the early hours of the morning and 6 degrees by 4pm.

Currently 4 degrees in the 'deen.
Yep, yesterday we started at Grafham around 0900 at 10 degrees & warming with a South Westerly. We finished at 1545 @ 6 degrees and falling in a brisk west / north westerly. Just what I wanted for a day afloat 🤣.

Today, we were @ 5 degrees in the midlands. It’s November at last!