Isar River - Munich

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking a little info on the above. I'm just back after a few days in Munich at the Springfest. We absolutely love the place and it's quickly becoming our annual lads get away.

The last couple of years we've done a bit more exploring rather than drinking and we just happened to walk over a bridge on our walkabout to find another new Weiss Drinking venue, sorry tourist attraction, when i obviously delayed the non anglers to stop and take a look into the crystal clear alpine waters below...

I didn't really expect to see anything, who does these days but very quickly I picked out 3 rather large Trout. Laying up either side of the bridge 1 upstream with 2 downstream in the run on the right pictured below..... it got me thinking about another trip with rods instead of Lederhosen packed in the cases..

Has any one any experience of fishing in this area, I'm aware I can get a 3 month tourist permit and there's a test to sit in Germany before anglers can go fishing, that's not a bad idea either to be honest :tongue: Accommodation isn't an issue either, so if anyone can supply any info on beats tactics or contacts it would be appreciated.. thanks In advance :cool:

20190511_132006.jpg

20190511_132053.jpg

20190511_132117.jpg

Attachments

• 20190510_200331.jpg
    20190510_200331.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 519
Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
It‘s a great piece of water there but very hard to get a permit.

Id a feeling it wouldn't be easy... Centre of Munich, 3 big trout and no one fishing didn't say public to me :lol:.. but it's a big system so anywhere within an hour or 2 could be an idea though if it's worth a throw

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
There are danube salmon, the huchen , as well. Very huge fish...

Aren't they are very few spread over a huge system?

I remember reading about a reintroduction programme on the Rhine with the aim of returning Salmon to the Alps.. It seemed like a massive operation at the time with a lot of obstacles to over come but they did have success.

lax0341

Reaction score
There are some salmon returning to the Rhine in these days. But not too much. The huchen - or danube salmon - is another species. Just travelling in the river itself and not from the river into the salt and back. But these are very huge fish. Extremely difficult to catch.

Last edited:

Iolar

Reaction score
Hi FP,
I live in Munich and my local club, Isarfischer, has a lease on these waters. Day tickets are practically impossible to get. There are other trout and grayling waters closer to the alps, like the Loisach, where B&Bs provide permits to guests. Tourists don’t have to do a test, the local town hall issues a temporary fishing license (Touristenfischerschein).
There are also some great trout rivers within 2 hours of Munich in Austria, although the day tickets can be expensive.

wormo

Reaction score
I visit Starnberg to see an old friend where we go fishing, but we never manage to get on any of the rivers , we settled on the lake fishing for coarse species especially the renken which looks like a powan type fish

Last edited: