Is losing your Deposit, due to cancellation, the Norm.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
On a North coast river, that Iv fished for last few years in May, Iv just had my leter, regarding cancellation, regarding current situation.
Now prior to booking, i had managed get a deal, that I only took the fishing, No Ghille, No Hotel, No food. I would of stayed in my camper, and only took fishing package.
Now we all been offered to roll over to next year, hold and hope this year opens, ( no chance for May ), or get refund withour the deposit. We have been told to claim lost deposit from insurance. ( Should they not claim from their Insurance, or from the Government compensation ??? )
Apart from the fact, that price has gone up by round £200, each year on the back of 1 tremendous season. This last money grab, has seriously brought to light some the madness round Salmon fishing on private water.
Now am I right to be annoyed by this loss of Deposit ? Is it the norm ?, as Iv heard some Tweed beats doing the same.
And is their any way fight it ?

Last edited:

tenet

Reaction score
Scotsman - a few threads on this subject (name and shame being one) but if its the same letter that i got you missed out "warmth and empathy " in allowing balance less 25% deposit to be rolled forward.🤐

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
After negotiating a good deal you are of course feeling peeved. On the other hand how about the gillie's tips, the hotel the people who depend on fishers to see them through the closed season !

Every cloud has a silver lining...……..at least one less camper van on the *loody NC500 :thumb:

M

tenet

Reaction score
After negotiating a good deal you are of course feeling peeved. On the other hand how about the gillie's tips, the hotel the people who depend on fishers to see them through the closed season !

Every cloud has a silver lining...……..at least one less camper van on the *loody NC500 :thumb:

M
If you think the hotel staff along with the ghillies are still on the books you are seriously deluded. The owners will be imposing enforced furlough and copping the 80% subsidy on salary whilst not retaining the self employed ghillies. They will also be able to claim other benefits for SME's regarding rates, taxation, deferred vat etc.

richard

Reaction score
I wouldn't like to identify/embarrass the business that posted this to it's guests, but it made me glad I hadn't paid a deposit!, I only book at the last moment.
Richard

Please bear in mind we are all in this situation together, we are trying to do our best for all our customers and staff during these unprecedented times. We are asking you to be sensitive and respectful during these times of uncertainty, we have not had a great time recently with the bad weather and road closers, now this. We are trying our very best to accommodate the needs of all our guests by putting all payments on hold and relaxing our terms and conditions to allow you to use this credit for longer than the usual period.
All foreseeable bookings will be automatically put on hold, until further notice. All payments will be held in credit for use for future bookings for this Season / 2021 Season.
We thank you for your patience and support during these challenging times.
Please Stay safe and well.

scoops

Reaction score
I wouldn't like to identify/embarrass the business that posted this to it's guests, but it made me glad I hadn't paid a deposit!, I only book at the last moment.
Richard

Please bear in mind we are all in this situation together, we are trying to do our best for all our customers and staff during these unprecedented times. We are asking you to be sensitive and respectful during these times of uncertainty, we have not had a great time recently with the bad weather and road closers, now this. We are trying our very best to accommodate the needs of all our guests by putting all payments on hold and relaxing our terms and conditions to allow you to use this credit for longer than the usual period.
All foreseeable bookings will be automatically put on hold, until further notice. All payments will be held in credit for use for future bookings for this Season / 2021 Season.
We thank you for your patience and support during these challenging times.
Please Stay safe and well.

Looks like a decent offer from them to my eyes!!

westie4566

Reaction score
Looks like a decent offer from them to my eyes!!
I'm with you on that one Scoops.

Seem's like the most reasonable response to me in these uncharted times. Pretty much what all of my lets have done, rollover until 2021.

Richard, could you tell me please what you find problematic with the above response? Even more so if you only book at the last minute whywould it even matter to you??? Sounds like you're just s'hit stirring for the sake of it to me.

Last edited: