Is junglecock important?

Lamson v10

Reaction score
But just imagine how much better it would look with good old fashioned, varnished, red thread. 😏

Your right jockiescott probably would look betterπŸ‘ it's one 3 flys I've ever tyed with floss at both ends , but it has taken fish πŸ‘. I do like a varnished red thread head

_20210301_172906.JPG

_20180322_173111.JPG

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Your right jockiescott probably would look betterπŸ‘ it's one 3 flys I've ever tyed with floss at both ends , but it has taken fish πŸ‘. I do like a varnished red thread head

View attachment 65679
View attachment 65680

Those are fantastic but the wee flamethrowery version is Superb!!! 😍

I'll be tying one of those in the not too distant future. πŸ‘

Your tying is sorely missed on the forum sir! πŸ™

Andrew B

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm getting back into fly tying and wondering weather or not to buy some junglecock , what do 0eople think is it essential in salmon flies? I know all flies that have worked for me this year didn't have junglecock, Willie gun , octopus, arctic shrimp.
It is for me, gives me confidence which is half the battle. It’s not essential to catch fish but it is beautiful stuff to use and imo it does stand out in the water.
Little known fact, Victorian Salmon fly fisherman wanted the pale/white looking nails for their flies.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Little known fact, Victorian Salmon fly fisherman wanted the pale/white looking nails for their flies.
I am quite happy using the lighter coloured JC. It generally is cheaper than now standard darker colour which is an added attraction.

This whitish small cape with small eyes is a good example. It was priced at Β£25 in the Galway fair in 2019 - which was an absolute bargain. I haven't used it yet
jc2.jpg

The same applies to capes that have slightly elongated, smaller or otherwise less than perfectly shaped eyes. This one, also from Galway in 2019 was priced at Β£40 from Cookshill as compared to larger more perfect capes at Β£80 to Β£100.
JC1.jpg

it has produced 150 usable eyes plus another 85 which I treated with floogoo. The eyes are not perhaps as strong as a high end cape but they worked fine.
In today's market both of these would be more expensive but much much better value than some of the stuff on Ebay today. The trick is to buy a cape that produces eyes in the size that you tie rather than one with perfect eyes in all sizes.
What I can't understand is why people buy capes like this on Ebay today at Β£51 unless they tie trout flies that use splits as gills. it would be completely useless for salmon flies of any kind.
jc 3.jpg

Andrew B

Reaction score
I am quite happy using the lighter coloured JC. It generally is cheaper than now standard darker colour which is an added attraction.

This whitish small cape with small eyes is a good example. It was priced at Β£25 in the Galway fair in 2019 - which was an absolute bargain. I haven't used it yet
View attachment 65692

The same applies to capes that have slightly elongated, smaller or otherwise less than perfectly shaped eyes. This one, also from Galway in 2019 was priced at Β£40 from Cookshill as compared to larger more perfect capes at Β£80 to Β£100.
View attachment 65693
it has produced 150 usable eyes plus another 85 which I treated with floogoo. The eyes are not perhaps as strong as a high end cape but they worked fine.
In today's market both of these would be more expensive but much much better value than some of the stuff on Ebay today. The trick is to buy a cape that produces eyes in the size that you tie rather than one with perfect eyes in all sizes.
What I can't understand is why people buy capes like this on Ebay today at Β£51 unless they tie trout flies that use splits as gills. it would be completely useless for salmon flies of any kind.
View attachment 65694
You did right to snap em up.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I wish I'd have had the foresight to buy a few ti leave past over the years. I always just bought them as I needed, then used them to death and then bought a new one. It's a bit more costly doing that now.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
How classy are those? Just returned from Wales and the fishing was super tough and the only fly I caught on was like the above.

Thank you very much Andrew πŸ‘ the executioner is a great pattern for the sea-trouts but takes a salmon or two , I did pass a few of my flamethrower type executioner's on to a few mate's who have had good success with it πŸ‘

Andrew B

Reaction score
Thank you very much Andrew πŸ‘ the executioner is a great pattern for the sea-trouts but takes a salmon or two , I did pass a few of my flamethrower type executioner's on to a few mate's who have had good success with it πŸ‘
Yeah I’m just drawn to all those kinda of flies. Was it you who did the Nighthawk? As that pattern is sick.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I'm only messing Arnold. Great to see some of your flies again, all be it historic.

Fab flies all around.

I hope you don't just like them for the junglecock πŸ™„πŸ˜ think I've all but exhausted the back catalog nathan πŸ₯΄

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just received a text message with image of a cape bought by a young protΓ©gΓ©e here in Alaska. All split far as I could tell from the image. Rather than scold him for not consulting with me before handing over $88.00 I'll wait until we get together to see if the nails can be healed using feather tough which is a clear latex compound I've been using since 1981.

Many poor quality capes being proffered as useable these days. No problems if they are dirt cheap but once approaching $100.00 I expect at least a few good show quality nails. When it comes to split nails I'm sure you all know there are those which are repairable and those that are not, order with caution always.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Just received a text message with image of a cape bought by a young protΓ©gΓ©e here in Alaska. All split far as I could tell from the image. Rather than scold him for not consulting with me before handing over $88.00 I'll wait until we get together to see if the nails can be healed using feather tough which is a clear latex compound I've been using since 1981.

had to google what that was. looks an interesting product though! Shame it doesn't seem available in the UK, as would be interesting to compare results with putting a bit of sally hansens on em...

Question: If JC is more for the angler than the fish, could you remove the JC from most/all patterns you tie and still fish them?

I have a fairly limited repertoire of flies that I tie, cascades, WGs, iain bain specials, stoats tails and newly, kinermony killers. The only ones I've always put JC on are the IBS's and KK's. I've plucked the JC off a KK once after one side got battered by a fish or a rock (I'll never know) and thought it looked strange? Not sure if it's because I've only ever seen it with JC on, but looked off πŸ˜…