Is it worth booking February fishing?

jonnycymro

Reaction score
Hi,
What’s the general consensus for pre booking early spring fishing (probably for the Dee in Feb in my case)? Is it worth booking or hedge your bets and wait until last minute?
thanks
Jonny

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Hi,
What’s the general consensus for pre booking early spring fishing (probably for the Dee in Feb in my case)? Is it worth booking or hedge your bets and wait until last minute?
thanks
Jonny
You will have your pick of pretty much all the beats in February. There’s only a handful of us daft enough to venture out in the snow. You’d be better waiting to make sure the rivers are not in the fields first

bankwheel

Reaction score
A327682F-A654-420B-AA07-A559F11DC027.jpeg
Dee fish last February

Marcus c

Reaction score
February/march can be bleak and miserable on the river bank_blue hands and frostbite on the toes_but there is the chance of some big silver in prime condition -however slim _ so my answer is a definitive _yes

jonnycymro

Reaction score
February/march can be bleak and miserable on the river bank_blue hands and frostbite on the toes_but there is the chance of some big silver in prime condition -however slim _ so my answer is a definitive _yes
So basically if I hold out until a week or so before I go in feb, i’ll still have a chance of a decent beat?

westie4566

Reaction score
I always have a few days that are annual. More often than not they don't pay of, however they are enjoyable as I'm out on the river with a couple of good pals so the craic is great.

Sometimes they do pay off and my earliest fish still sits at the 12th of February and what a memory that is.

This Feb on one of our days, 4 fish were landed from the opposite bank, so they can be there.

As with everything, you pays your money and takes your chances.

The beat I fish are very easy going and more than happy to change the day if we get flooded or grued off.
What a fish!!! That's what makes me brave the weather on Dee in Feb!

Andrew B

Reaction score
Now that’s what we talking about lol.
Not being up there it’s hard for me to comment except to say that the Dee being an early river was always known for its spring fishing from opening day? I’ve always liked looking through the fishpal stats and just going off those it seemed to me as if the Dee had some changes as to where the Spring fish were being caught?
As an example Park had such good numbers from February and then for some reason Park numbers dropped off and would I be right in saying the Middle beats fared better?
Still that fish last Feb is an absolute gem.

Hoddom

Reaction score
do it
book now and start plannin, tying GBWG and b&y tubes.
ive had some fantastic time fishing opening week on the Dee and tay. Never did anything on the tweed early though- it can get coloured easily and you are likely to have high water
The Dee stays clear in most conditions. Grue can be an issue.
I’ve only once last half a day to poor conditions in around 15 trips… the very next day I caught a 19.5lb liced springer😎. Weighed in two different weigh nets just hoping one would say 20🤡
get out fishing. Have some fun, maybe catch the fish of your life. There is nothing to beat a very early season springer. The absolute pinnacle of salmon fishing

marty31

Reaction score
do it
ive had some fantastic time fishing opening week on the Dee and tay. Never did anything on the tweed early though- it can get coloured easily and you are likely to have high water
I’ve only once last half a day to poor conditions in around 15 trips… the very next day I caught a 19.5lb liced springer😎. Weighed in two different weigh nets just hoping one would say 20🤡
get out fishing. Have some fun, maybe catch the fish of your life. There is nothing to beat a very early season springer. The absolute pinnacle of salmon fishing
Nice February salmon👍and respect to your honesty 👍very rare these days?? How many rods would have booked it in as a 20punder ??? I wonder??

jonnycymro

Reaction score
do it
Thanks Hoddom, love your positivity - I might well take your advice 👍

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
Nice February salmon👍and respect to your honesty 👍very rare these days?? How many rods would have booked it in as a 20punder ??? I wonder??

Having a stab at it l'm guessing you would have put it down as 20 🤣 cracking fish though. A prime February springer is worth a dozen back end kippers imo

Tangled

Reaction score
February? That would be Tau Kapen Lodge on the Rio Grande, Tierra del Fuego. 20lb sea trout.
It was all a dream...

marty31

Reaction score
Having a stab at it l'm guessing you would have put it down as 20 🤣 cracking fish though. A prime February springer is worth a dozen back end kippers imo
I agree with the secound bit but the first "stab" at me ? You couldn't get further from the truth?? A post of mine a couple of months ago showed a pic of a unusual tweed salmon? A 29.5 lb fish? Basically my personal hate is obviously over sized guestermated salmon ! The sort thats common on this forum, so why put snidey comments on about me? When all i was intending was to complement the captor of this magnificent fish, and complement his honesty??

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
I agree with the secound bit but the first "stab" at me ? You couldn't get further from the truth?? A post of mine a couple of months ago showed a pic of a unusual tweed salmon? A 29.5 lb fish? Basically my personal hate is obviously over sized guestermated salmon ! The sort thats common on this forum, so why put snidey comments on about me? When all i was intending was to complement the captor of this magnificent fish, and complement his honesty??
No snidey comments intended. certainly not intended. Just the way you put it with enough question Marks I was just having a wild guess that you meant that you would of put it down as a 20. I never usually believe anything that comes out of a tweed anglers mouth at the best of time 🤣, that was intended 😀