Irish Open Spey Comp

minitube

Reaction score
Michael O'Kane from Draperstown won the Irish Open Spey Competition in Foxford today in fairly difficult conditions. This annual competition is a part of the Riverfest festival in Foxford. Second place was Martin Kiely from Limerick, and third place was Michael Egan from Ballina.

Last edited:

minitube

Reaction score
I have to correct my post above.

So far as I can make out, and I stand to be corrected, the Irish Open Spey Competition is not now part of the River Fest Festival who seemingly are no longer funding the event.

The competition was run this year by a group of casters themselves and apparently no prize funds were provided for this competition by River Fest.

As I was working I don't know the details, or how funding for this event has seemingly ceased. I had known the Tiernan brothers were not involved in running the event this year either due to other demands as Michael and P.J. had informed me of that earlier.

I consider it a real pity that there was no prize fund for the event and remember the funding being part of the donation made by Mount Falcon when I worked there. They would have the Mount Falcon Banner at the event. Fortunately the Spey casters kept this event's continuity, and perhaps we can arrange some sponsorship or association for the future events.

I will try to find out more and I stand to be corrected should there be any misunderstanding of things, I was not there. I know it was disappointing for the competitors that there was not some competition funding for prizes.

Last edited: