Intruder patterns for Spring Salmon

Birkin

Reaction score
Ive done well on seatrout and bigger rainbows. A guy on YouTube uses them for ferox.

Many versions you now see online are not intruder flies as Ed Ward intended. His original design created a light fly, capable of casting on a #5 or #6 line that sank quickly but created the illusion of bulk and size in the water. Rhea was used because the fibres are so fine you can fit lots in without loosing cast ability or sink rate. When dry Eds flies have a distinct front and back (sometimes middle). The front fibres when dry stick out from the fly. The cheaper versions using marabou and ostrich and other fibres will not work quite as well as the original intention and are in my mind variations of a streamer instead of intruders.
Very true Piker20. I call my versions Semi Intruders as I only tie with Marabou at the front of the fly. This is because of the huge lose of flies on the rivers I fish in BC and cuts down on the expense of tying the more intricate true Intruder patterns. I find it not to make much difference as long as you can get the movement in the water. This can be improved by tying in a ball of Fritz or similar behind the head before tying in the Marabou.
I get a lot of designs for my BC flies from the site link shown and find a guy called Jay Nicholas very informative.
Caddis Fly Angling Shop
- YouTube

I have tied flies for the UK and just use the more traditional colours like Orange, Yellow and Black (Willie Gunn).

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Daft question but do you catch many fish on these type of flies in the UK?

Yes mate.
The ones in the pic are for when the river is up a bit in the spring,i us bigger and smaller ones for different water heights and colour throughout the year.

Soundmixer

Reaction score
Check out some of the videos April Vokey does of intruders. Some have them in a tank showing well the movement they give.

April also does a really neat stacker system.
Aprils Stacker tubes.jpg
You basically tie a tube with a front or rear station and then stack the tubes together on your nylon to form the larger fly.
I have tied some tungsten cones on tube liners so I can add weight when I want to.
Really clever lassie :)

Euan

GeeBee

Reaction score
I caught a nice grilse in September on the Irish, Blackwater on a single stage blue and black intruder.

I use it for Steelhead here in the States. its a copy of a fly by Trevor Covich of OPST. I use OPST shanks and Daiichi 2553 Intruder Trailer red Hooks in #2.

for the wire I use Senyo Trailer.

The fly is tyed using composite loops of artic fox, ice dubbing, drabs or lady Amherst, black marabou and finished with grizzly hackle.

google to see Trevor's and Jerry French's videos.

for this coming year, I've also tied it in orange & black, red & black and chartreuse & black.

after catching Salmon over the years on Clouser minnows, Dee Monkeys and now an Intruder, I'm convinced that any fly that fishes well or has its own intrinsic movement, will catch any game fish.

i'll post a pic later ;)

sneakypeter

Reaction score
If you look at these intruders, they are not vastly different to Scandia/Frodin style flys, a bit of bulky movement, developed on opposite sides of the Atlantic, and for different species, but all salmonoids. I tried some more west coast USA/ Canada colour variations last season with very positive results, the best by far, blue/yellow and pink, try it!!!
peter

phatagrova

Reaction score
IMG_5126.jpg

Hers a box full Ive been using both home and abroad , the blue and black ones have been the most successful on Irish waters1229.jpg1241.jpg

Last edited:

GeeBee

Reaction score
here is the fly i use :

large.IMG_1343.JPG.01d1007e817cd3ece5c56e0075747e26.jpg

and the results

Ireland:

large.IMG_1299.JPG.dcb368924e170c45b407fc99a736ce6d.jpg

Washington Steelhead (one of three that day) :

photo-1690.jpg

when you think that Salmon feed on Artic Squid, Herring and Artic Shrimp, all of which reach 7" long, "large" flyes with movement are ideal representations.

likewise the Monkeys represent sandeels which reach a similar size.

Tartan Crocodile

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I dont care if these ghastly creations sometimes work . I personally would never fish with one .

Same as I wouldnt wear a shell suit with a pair of black leather shoes or go to a supermarket in my pyjamas .

It takes all folk in life to make the world go round - some are clever and some are very daft .

You'll catch more salmon and seat troot in UK waters on Wullie Gunns, Ally Shrimps and Stoats Tails.

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I dont care if these ghastly creations sometimes work . I personally would never fish with one .

Same as I wouldnt wear a shell suit with a pair of black leather shoes or go to a supermarket in my pyjamas .

It takes all folk in life to make the world go round - some are clever and some are very daft .

You'll catch more salmon and seat troot in UK waters on Wullie Gunns, Ally Shrimps and Stoats Tails.

No doubt at some time in the past someone called the Wullie Gunn a ghastly creation.

Big Ben

Reaction score

Not if everyone's catching on intruders they wont :)

Tartan Crocodile

Banned
Reaction score
No doubt at some time in the past someone called the Wullie Gunn a ghastly creation.

I doubt it although with some of the creations we see nowadays passed off as "Wullie Gunns" all because they have , orange , yellow and black in the dressing them maybe you could be right ? :eek:

phatagrova

Reaction score

For me personally , I had tied a few patterns for a trip to BC , and was testing them in Ireland to see how the swam , guess what i hooked a springer , I enjoyed the challenge of using new materials, and patterns that i had created at the vice, Catching a fish by these patterns has become a slight obsession , and more rewarding if I'm lucky to get a fish
A Franc n Snelda is the latest pattern that everyone swears by , and getting results , whys that?
Look at the Parks Shrimp & Calvins , by Ross McDonald , two class patterns that aren't old in the armoury of salmon flies that you wouldn't be without.
But if its movement your after and you fish the right type of soft water , Intruder patterns are lethal.

Tartan Crocodile

Banned
Reaction score
For me personally , I had tied a few patterns for a trip to BC , and was testing them in Ireland to see how the swam , guess what i hooked a springer , I enjoyed the challenge of using new materials, and patterns that i had created at the vice, Catching a fish by these patterns has become a slight obsession , and more rewarding if I'm lucky to get a fish
A Franc n Snelda is the latest pattern that everyone swears by , and getting results , whys that?
Look at the Parks Shrimp & Calvins , by Ross McDonald , two class patterns that aren't old in the armoury of salmon flies that you wouldn't be without.
But if its movement your after and you fish the right type of soft water , Intruder patterns are lethal.

I wouldnt let a Franc n Snelda grace my box either and fill another mans fantasy that he created the next best thing to catch a fairly basic needs predatory fish .

If I had to resort to fishing with these type of flies or lures then I would stick on a proper lure -
like black flying c .
Folk that kid their selves on they are fly fishing with these mad inventions are just spinning with a fly rod .

Regarding Park Shrimps and calvins ...... I dont rate McDonalds creations over the trusted General Practitioner .

Brigsambo

Reaction score
If you want a laugh go into EBay and type in Wully Gunn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
I wouldnt let a Franc n Snelda grace my box either and fill another mans fantasy that he created the next best thing to catch a fairly basic needs predatory fish .

If I had to resort to fishing with these type of flies or lures then I would stick on a proper lure -
like black flying c .
Folk that kid their selves on they are fly fishing with these mad inventions are just spinning with a fly rod .

Regarding Park Shrimps and calvins ...... I dont rate McDonalds creations over the trusted General Practitioner .

So would you class Traditional patterns as lures?, as they do not represent anything natural.
The likes of this was used on hooks up to 6/0,s back in the day.

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/newsletters/baron_2.jpg

Ypres

Reaction score
Personally I like to attempt to tie and fish with most styles and size of flies although I am naturally drawn to the more traditional because I am a conservative kind of guy. However I would never criticise another's choice of fly or style of fishing clothing.
As regards intruders, Parks, Calvin Shrimps etc. I think we are heading back into a Victorian kind of mindset and tying fancier and more complex flies with more and more varied materials in them simply because they are available. Although I have no doubt that professional tyers and retailers may like 'fancy' flies as I suspect there is a greater profit margin. Any way each to his own and tight lines to everyone.

Tartan Crocodile

Banned
Reaction score
So would you class Traditional patterns as lures?, as they do not represent anything natural.
The likes of this was used on hooks up to 6/0,s back in the day.

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/newsletters/baron_2.jpg

I never said natural . I was relating to common sense and practicality and all that is required in essence to catch a salmon - a well dressed wullie gunn tube or munro killer fly ticks every box for me .

Traditional patterns from the right olden days were over cooked as well but at least they looked like a proper well tied fly and not some hideous hens 4rse that a rainbow trout fisher would be proud of fishing .

If they said rainbow trout blobs were the next best thing to catch a salmon no doubt the same brigade would be filling their boxes with them as well . :rolleyes:

GeeBee

Reaction score
what natural baits are willie gunns mimicking ?

my intruders are mimicking artic squid or artic shrimp more closely than a willie gunn.

of course you could catch Salmon on willie gunns, stoats tails etc. but with fish scarce thesedays, and the cost of fishing ever rising, why not use the most appropriate and imitative patterns like intruders ?

its silly not using the best tools available - or maybe we need to go back to 16ft Greenheart rods and wooden reels :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tartan Crocodile

Banned
Reaction score
what natural baits are willie gunns mimicking ?

my intruders are mimicking artic squid or artic shrimp more closely than a willie gunn.

of course you could catch Salmon on willie gunns, stoats tails etc. but with fish scarce thesedays, and the cost of fishing ever rising, why not use the most appropriate and imitative patterns like intruders ?

its silly not using the best tools available - or maybe we need to go back to 16ft Greenheart rods and wooden reels :rolleyes:

So what you are saying now is that Pink intruder flys are the best tools available ? Why no just go the full road and lash 6 inches of pink pipe cleaner on to a big single hook and call it an intruder worm fly ? Better still get two 4 inch bits of pink pipe cleaner on to the same hook but paint the ends of the pipe cleaner purplish and there's yer two black headed worms set up ?

If your allowed to fish with these daft intruder flys due to them being imitative then why have folk taken such an interest in banning the worm or prawn or spinner ? Its all very easy for the "each to their own" brigade to allow the use of these big gaudy contraptions spun off the end of a fly rod if they are the ones doing it - but I bet the same lot of guys would be horrified if a young boy or old man spun a flying c up through the pool that they were raking with these intruder lures .

Each to their own should mean exactly that and if folk can pretend that they are fly fishing using these things on the end of a fly rod then I should be able to fish a worm or at the very least a well made worm or prawn representation off the end of a fly rod ......... Each to their own or just when it suits ?

Last edited:

Big Ben

Reaction score
I have fished extensively with both and can confirm 100% they fish exactly the same in other words you cant tell what you have on the end. Its just a fly.

Tartan Crocodile

Banned
Reaction score
Remember they things Kelty Killers or Flying Bucks ? I wonder what they would be classed as nowadays ? I reckon a light enough one of these could be launch off a 750 skagit ?

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Remember they things Kelty Killers or Flying Bucks ? I wonder what they would be classed as nowadays ? I reckon a light enough one of these could be launch off a 750 skagit ?

For the record I've a mate who's launched a toby off his Skagit set-up (he's a much better caster than me mind).

Gents; why don't we return this thread into something useful about Intruder Patterns rather than a pointless debate about each person's personal limits on the ethics of lure / fly types? :confused::D

Last edited:

Tartan Crocodile

Banned
Reaction score
For the record I've a mate who's launched a toby off his Skagit set-up (he's a much better caster than me mind).

Gents; why don't we return this thread into something useful about Intruder Patterns rather than a pointless debate about each person's personal limits on the ethics of lure / fly types? :confused::D

Whats wrong with some healthy debate ? I'm saying that if these things are allowed to be fished especially on famous salmon rivers then it should be ok for everything to be fished . You cant have things masquarading as flies and guys kidding themselves on they are fly fishing when they are not if spinning , worming and shrimps are banned .

I went to the bother of highlighting in bold for your benefit as well ;)