Intruder patterns for Spring Salmon

K28

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm starting to get my fly box in order for the start of the season. I notice a lot more availability of intruder patterns lately. Are many using them in the UK and Ireland. I know they certainly catch the angler with their trendy colours but do they catch fish n our waters. Many thanks in advance

dustybinns

Reaction score
Intruders

F80F57D3-89F5-4960-B421-1AFFBCC8EFA7.jpg. Put this pink one on out off interested last week of the season (November on the Nith)so will be giving them a swing this spring for sure.

Piker20

Reaction score
I have a few intruders from some US and Canada guys. They should catch but so far I've only had seatrout with them.

auldsalmon

Reaction score
;) i did well on them last year had five fish and lost one due to it rubbing the line on rocks .i was well pleased with the hook ups on the single hooks ,Will be using single hooks on tubes as well free swinging . Hope i get one or two this year :p:p:p:p

sewinfly

Reaction score
A fresh Sewin about 3.5 Ib a bit blurred as it raining a bit but they do work.
Will be tying some small Willie Gunns up and Tosh.

Woodmill May 17th 2017.jpg

Sewinfly

dustybinns

Reaction score
Intruders

Piker that was the first time I put one on but not surprised really,I have caught more sea trout on big tubes i.e. 2” and above than I have salmon.When I do get the privilege to hook a salmon these days it’s normally on mini tubes even in fairly big water,yet back in the day you would never see anybody fish with flies so small for salmon,well at least on the Nith.I think if you fished intruders for salmon all season you would do just as well,are you brave enough that is the question.They certainly work in the Pacific Northwest,I can vouch for that along with many off the forum.I might tie up some different sizes this winter and give it a go next season,if it doesn’t work nothing lost really ,and I might have bumper year on the sea trout ?. Cheers John.

dustybinns

Reaction score
;) i did well on them last year had five fish and lost one due to it rubbing the line on rocks .i was well pleased with the hook ups on the single hooks ,Will be using single hooks on tubes as well free swinging . Hope i get one or two this year :p:p:p:p
Well done auldsalmon,I fish nothing else but singles these days,better hold for me anyhow. Cheers John

AlanT

Reaction score
I tied one up for this months competition. I quite like the look of it.
I tied it smaller than it looks in the photo, maybe around 30mm overall as I intend to try it soon for early season ST that come into local river in the next month or so.

20180107_200625.jpg

AlanT

Reaction score
Should say I'm going to tie a small set of minature intruders to try this year. Never overley liked the pattern until I tied one up. They just look good and feel good in the hand, so high hopes.
The shank of the one above is a snipped off low water salmon double, probably a size 10, keeps it quite compact.

Last edited:

Piker20

Reaction score
Piker that was the first time I put one on but not surprised really,I have caught more sea trout on big tubes i.e. 2” and above than I have salmon.When I do get the privilege to hook a salmon these days it’s normally on mini tubes even in fairly big water,yet back in the day you would never see anybody fish with flies so small for salmon,well at least on the Nith.I think if you fished intruders for salmon all season you would do just as well,are you brave enough that is the question.They certainly work in the Pacific Northwest,I can vouch for that along with many off the forum.I might tie up some different sizes this winter and give it a go next season,if it doesn’t work nothing lost really ,and I might have bumper year on the sea trout ?. Cheers John.
Yes, i noticed a much better stamp of seatrout on a big intruder compared to any other flies and even spinning. Best was a 6lber

K28

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback folks, I've a few ordered similar to Alan T's image as well as black and yellow on t tubes and shanks. I'm hoping they'll fish as well as they look

Soundmixer

Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing and have tied up Intruder style flies on 2" alloy tubes, 3" plastic tubes, Waddingtons (with wire loop) and cut down streamer shanks.
The streamer shanks work really well - dumbell eyes and a wee loop of nylon just ahead of the rear station so that the nylon runs through the front eye, through the loop and knotted to the small single, which is held on by a small silicone tube to the rear of the shank.
Ostrich and Rhea provide the shape with dubbing ball of Ice Dub and some deer hair to keep the shape. Composite loops with seals fur or marabou are great too. It has taken me a lot of experimenting to get the proportions and techniques right but I has been a load of fun trying.
Colours? I have gone a bit nuts on pink, with blue / silver taking second place and Willy Gunn variations taking third.
I'll try and post some photos if I get time. They are scruffy but look good in the water so I am hoping the fish won't mind.
Bring on the new season!

Euan

Soundmixer

Reaction score
Euan you won't catch anything with those man:D so if you like send them over and i'll dispose of them for you;) They look good.
Euan, How much do you reckon one costs to make? just curious

later

Mick

Mick,
The marabou, deer hair etc I already had from trout flies, so the main expense was the Ostrich and the Rhea which aren't really that bad. Rhea is around £9 a packet, ostrich around £4. Sean Stanton at Welcome / FrancNSnaelda.com will sort you out with all you need. They are not cheap and would probably be around £3-4 each.
I would recommend a good dubbing spinner to make the composite loops - the OPST one is £20 which is more than I wanted to pay for a bolt with a hook on it so I made my own with a bolt and a hook!
SAM_8256.jpg
We have a drill press at work and I had some spare hooks in a cable rod kit so it was pretty easy, but £20 doesn't seem that bad if you don't have the tools.
When I started tying doubles and singles the initial outlay was expensive and it was not that different when I started making intruders, BUT once you have the basics the cost settles down.
Tubes are easier to tie but I do like tying on shanks.
What I will say is that they take a while to tie but that time is actually quite therapeutic. Check out all the OP Skagit videos on Youtube and anything by Ed Ward or Jerry French. Also listen to the April Vokey two part interview with Jerry French about Intruders and the birth of the skagit line - utterly fascinating.

Euan

Piker20

Reaction score
Check out some of the videos April Vokey does of intruders. Some have them in a tank showing well the movement they give.

Birkin

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend an up eye hook for intruders?
Daiichi do a Intruder Trailer Hook which is not to heavy for Atlantic Salmon.
I use Owner SSW All Purpose bait hooks model 5315-091 for Pacific salmon for the trailer hook and to tie fly's like Comets. Size is either 2 or 4 and debarbed.
This one is tied on a Waddington Shank with the Stinger tied on a snap link. IMG_0729.jpg

Last edited:

Piker20

Reaction score
Daft question but do you catch many fish on these type of flies in the UK?

Ive done well on seatrout and bigger rainbows. A guy on YouTube uses them for ferox.

Many versions you now see online are not intruder flies as Ed Ward intended. His original design created a light fly, capable of casting on a #5 or #6 line that sank quickly but created the illusion of bulk and size in the water. Rhea was used because the fibres are so fine you can fit lots in without loosing cast ability or sink rate. When dry Eds flies have a distinct front and back (sometimes middle). The front fibres when dry stick out from the fly. The cheaper versions using marabou and ostrich and other fibres will not work quite as well as the original intention and are in my mind variations of a streamer instead of intruders.

Last edited: