Interesting.

ibm59

Reaction score
Turn the sound off.
It's just an irritation.

Loxie

Reaction score
That is a cracking illustration of the difference between casting and fishing. With all that splooshing about you wouldn't be doing much fishing on a still looking pool.

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
That is a cracking illustration of the difference between casting and fishing. With all that splooshing about you wouldn't be doing much fishing on a still looking pool.

Reminds me of a contributor who displayed his casting skills on a trout pond.

paddymc

Reaction score
Dont find that impressive at all , lifting a floater off the water and casting it out in the same direction :confused:

Here he is with the 15' Method

Sure you could do better with your own two Jimmy ;)

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to follow him down a clear water pool, or indeed any pool. It rather reminds me of when a mate of mine, who happens to be a guide/ instructor, had a lifeboat launched for him while bass fishing. The extravagance of his casting action was mistaken for distress!!

Safranfoer

Reaction score

When you talk about sploshing, do you mean when he's tearing the line off the water before he casts, rather than peeling it?

Because to my novice eyes, it looks like nice casting other than this, and I'd appreciate more technical pointers.

paddymc

Reaction score
When you talk about sploshing, do you mean when he's tearing the line off the water before he casts, rather than peeling it?

Because to my novice eyes, it looks like nice casting other than this, and I'd appreciate more technical pointers.

Like !

Springer

Reaction score
Looks like the claws are out tonight guys ;)

This guy is just playing around by the look of it, the first clip appears to be in the time leading up to an exam. He is doing a few jump rolls just to keep himself in the groove, you see this all the time during assessment weekends. It might be a pick up and lay down of a floater but he is doing it nicely, the snake roll back to the same place is not so clever as the anchor is nowhere near, a trait of doing a snake like that.

From the videos shown he certainly has a good level of control which is nice to see. Some of the not so nice stuff could well just be him relaxing, I wouldn't judge him on this as none of it will be how he fishes or how he most likely performed in an assessment. You can tell a lot about a caster by his rhythm and how relaxed they look with the rod, this guy looks ok to me from what I can see.

He already holds a decent standard of accreditation so he must be quite good.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Oh! It's the fact he's repeatedly casting that is splashy! I seeeee.

I didn't watch it thinking he was trying to catch a fish. Looked like casting practice.

paddymc

Reaction score
Turn the sound off.
It's just an irritation.

Not wanting to go off topic, but, how do I get the video to embed like this ? :confused:

I have tried inserting the link via the movie icon but can't seem to get it to work :eek:

ibm59

Reaction score
Not wanting to go off topic, but, how do I get the video to embed like this ? :confused:

I have tried inserting the link via the movie icon but can't seem to get it to work :eek:

Just tried to upload and post a screenshot to show you how , but the new photo software keeps telling me it's an invalid file:confused:

Essentially all you do is copy the address , paste it into the wee ladder thingy , and then delete the "s" at the end of the https part of the address before posting.

Last edited:

paddymc

Reaction score
Just tried to upload and post a screenshot to show you how , but the new photo software keeps telling me it's an invalid file:confused:

Essentially all you do is copy the address , paste it into the wee ladder thingy , and then delete the "s" at the end of the https part of the address before posting.

Hmmmmm

I have done that, but still won't embed :confused:

I wonder is it an iPad thingy ????

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Just wondering Brian, what did you find interesting in the clip? Just interesting to watch?

ibm59

Reaction score
Just interesting to watch?

Aye , just that.
And the fact that he seems to be using a full line as opposed to one of the more popular heads.

I found some of the reaction to it quite amusing though.:D

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
Aye , just that.
And the fact that he seems to be using a full line as opposed to one of the more popular heads.

I found some of the reaction to it quite amusing though.:D

Looking back on this thread I guess that might be me. Sorry I was a bit grumpy. I guess some people just cast for sport these days. I get it he wasn't actually fishing but I've never seen much point in developing casting styles that have little or no application in real fishing. Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Tidy in what he is doing but it's hardly mind blowing. Would rather see him in a fishing situation casting a decent length line. YouTube is saturated with these vids picking up a floating line and casting it back to where it came from. Let's see some shooting line going out on some moving water?!

ibm59

Reaction score
Looking back on this thread I guess that might be me. Sorry I was a bit grumpy.

I take it that you wouldn't be happy following Mr Toft down a pool then , Loxie?
Just as noisy at times , and even more so at others.

ps I do know where you're coming from on this.;)

Regards.
Grumpy
Largs.:)

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
Actually, now I think about it I don't like following anyone down a pool!