Inlines: best value, dimensions etc.

TowySewin

Reaction score
I have been looking online at the prices of ‘Inline Lure Hooks’ to replace trebles on my bladed lures (Mepps, Flying Cs etc), spoons and minnow type lures. I have discovered that they do vary considerably in price per hook; up to 23p to 30p in some cases between makes.

Some makes are in packs of 10, or another standard number like 7. Even within one make, different sizes come in packs of different numbers. What a right old pickle.

Trying to establish the gape of some of these hooks is also not easy (new regulations). An email via Partridge website was perfectly replied to by Mark at fishingmatters.biz with an attachment of not only a .pdf containing specification of the Partridge ILS hook, but it also included info of the Cox and Rawle inline single. Well done Mark.

Mustad have not replied to an email, neither has HTO, Gamakatsu, Okuma and Owner. Does anyone know the gape of these makes in sizes 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0?

Are there other makes of interest?

I have not been able to find a quality fair test comparison online.

Which make of hooks in these sizes would you rate as ‘best value’ based on price, durability and effectiveness in the sizes mentioned?

Thank you.
Attached, Partridge, and Cox and Rawle dimensions.

Attachments

• Hook Gape Matrix 2021.pdf
    69.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

gwelsher

Reaction score
Do not forget Carp hooks. The quality and quality control control beats any "game" hook manufacturers.
All the main makes like Fox, Korda etc do various models and you can also pick up some good stuff on Ebay.
I am using size 2 and 1/0 on my Flying Cs, 2/0 on Tobys and will go to 4 and 6 on the Mepps.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
The only issue with a lot, or all carp hooks is the eye size, too small to allow free movement of a split ring, Cox and Rawle semi circles are a nice hook, but again eye size is an issue, a solution maybe to use a small lure clip, Savage Gear do some that are very small and rated at 15kg.

gwelsher

Reaction score
I have just bought some Mustad Ringed Chinu hooks and they seem just right for the job. This is a 28 gram FC for reference. The hook I have put the 7mm split ring in is the #2 hook which would suit a 15 gram and the #1/0 would be ok for a 28 gram.
I got the hooks from here

They also do a Mustad Inline hook.

FC.jpg

Red Spinner

Reaction score
Mustad Big Gun 10829NP is what Ive used for many species when I wanted a single hook.
Very strong, ultra sharp and nickel plated for longevity.

With care the hook can also be modified, such as removing the curb, turning the eye backwards to allow straight rigging with a snell and opening the eye to add a solid ring.

Highly recommended.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Mustad kaiju are great hooks and not expensive, ive got a few tobys and similar rigged with them.
Been using owners on mepps and they are great but not cheap.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

gwelsher

Reaction score
Mustad kaiju are great hooks and not expensive, ive got a few tobys and similar rigged with them.
Been using owners on mepps and they are great but not cheap.

Yes the Kaiju for inline hooks look good. The Owners price is eye watering :eek:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Yes the Kaiju for inline hooks look good. The Owners price is eye watering :eek:

Side by side theres not a huge diffrence in shape or how sharp the owners are to the kaijus. Not enough to worry about anyway.

GeeBee

Reaction score
I have VMC ILS 4x inline hooks from my time surfcasting for striped bass in the States. 4/0 &5/0. They will hold a 40lb fish easy. If you want to be 100% certain on that fish of a lifetime on a big open river, thats what i would go with despite them being 75p a hook or more.

I recently bought some 1/0 & 2/0 mustad kaiju for sea trout and salmon on small rivers, they seem pretty popular with the sea bass anglers.

Last edited: