Influence of weather

Hemmy

Reaction score
Only one fish caught on Tweed system,a few on the Dee and a few more on the mighty Tay.
Clearly the weather appears to have taken its toll last week.
From the warmth of a chair next to a coal fire in wet and miserable Lincolshire I am contemplating planning a few trips North of the Border as I am desperate
to wet a line for the first time in over two years on one of the mighty streams.
Is the current weather and future forecast up North as bad as it looks on the TV ?
This is the age old problem of having to make fishing plans in advance from hundreds of miles away .

Last edited:

Jer

Reaction score
It's pretty terrible here in Northern Ireland at the time of writing on Sunday 10th March at 12.30pm... it seems the forecasters got this one spot on (unfortunately)

Stopped me going out to do a bit of casting practice.

I do not know if you have the equivalent on the Mainland but I found this site that monitors river levels...

http://www.hydrometcloud.de/Rivers_Agency/index.jsp?menu=index

Weather is one thing... the height of the water is another! especially when you may be sitting in a car for 3/4/5 hours to get to your fishing destination!

Kind regards

Ger

keirstream

Reaction score
Only one fish caught on Tweed system,a few on the Dee and a few more on the mighty Tay.
This is the age old problem of having to make fishing plans in advance from hundreds of miles away .

In the spring, I think (and through experience also) that high winds really mess up your chances and not just from a casting point of view. I think that the fish keep their heads well down and are less likely to be interested in a flee in windy conditions.
Whether its a pressure thing I'm not sure (must check MCXs blog, he is bound to have something there) but it definitely messes them up.
Even down to not seeing a thing, like yesterday on the Spey, when fish are seen showing in days previous. It is clear to me IMHO, that if you can avoid a wild windy day and all other things being equal, there is a higher chance of success and, as a bonus, avoiding A&E with a no. 4 Ken Sawada planted in the corner of your eye.
But, in terms of weather forecasting, as my old grandpappy used to say, It'll be what It'll be.:thumb:

Rennie

Reaction score
I agree with Kierstream there, however I do feel when Salar hunkers down and won't play, you really need to wipe them very precisely on the nose.At this time of year when there isn't a lot of fish in any where, maybe they're not even showing at all, then that makes the task all the harder in feeling confident you're in the right place doing the right thing at the right time.After all we all fish in a manner most of the time more likely to attract and hook the prime candidates of the slowly running Salmon arriving in the temporary halts!.
Its hard work fishing a well sunk line/head properly all day long in an effective manner, both mentally and physically!(not saying any one doesn't do that well enough either!) throw the wind in to louse up the equation and its never a comfy. prospect!
As far as the weather itself go's, well settled is always best, it's no difference what species you angle for none like rapidly changing weather and yo yoing cold rivers, especially after that lovely warm Feb. now it's freezing March!.
Patience is a virtue(so I'm told),but when I'm fishing no matter the conditions I like to feel in with a good shout rather than simply some casting exercise and chatting up Nurses in the Emergency dept, after wards!,what's the old saying's-March winds and April showers, out like a Lion and in like a Lamb?.
Keep your patience dudes, ticking them days off the calendar,our time will come!.
Tight (and safe!) lines,Pedro.

keirstream

Reaction score
Conditions on the Dee were foul yesterday with very cold strong winds, I’m only just beginning to thaw out now :)

As was the Spey Paul.
Even getting down with a sink 2.5 in skagit and 15ft of sink 7 tip in the afternoon didn't impress anything much.
Fishing hard in winds like that with sinking lines is a very hard shift as my rib and arm muscles will testify today.:(
Never mind, my wee pal has convinced me to start again tomorrow, so 5 a.m. start for another shift on the Spey.:batty::batty:
Keep at it, we'll get 'em.:thumb::thumb:

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
As was the Spey Paul.
Even getting down with a sink 2.5 in skagit and 15ft of sink 7 tip in the afternoon didn't impress anything much.
Fishing hard in winds like that with sinking lines is a very hard shift as my rib and arm muscles will testify today.:(
Never mind, my wee pal has convinced me to start again tomorrow, so 5 a.m. start for another shift on the Spey.:batty::batty:
Keep at it, we'll get 'em.:thumb::thumb:

With hindsight I should have stayed at home and just fished the Carron as the fish appear to be in, it was nice to try a new river though

Isisalar

Reaction score
Suffered the wind on the Avon yesterday, with water meadows offering no protection at all it was difficult to say the least.
Got to say though that in the past I've found very strong winds like yesterday have been really productive conditions for Barbel, usually coincide with South Westerlies/ low pressure/ warmish temps so that probably explains it.
A friend reckons high pressure is good for Salmon while Sea Trout take best in low pressure. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

ibm59

Reaction score
Stationary high pressure tends to mean easterly winds in my neck of the woods.
Not the best conditions for any species hereabouts

Isisalar

Reaction score
"When the wind's in the North the Pike fisherman goes forth,
When the wind's in the West the fishing is best,
When the wind's in the South it blows the bait in their mouth,
When the wind's in the East it's no good for man nor beast."

A little ditty from my childhood fishing mentor.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
In the spring, I think (and through experience also) that high winds really mess up your chances and not just from a casting point of view. I think that the fish keep their heads well down and are less likely to be interested in a flee in windy conditions.
Whether its a pressure thing I'm not sure (must check MCXs blog, he is bound to have something there) but it definitely messes them up.
Even down to not seeing a thing, like yesterday on the Spey, when fish are seen showing in days previous. It is clear to me IMHO, that if you can avoid a wild windy day and all other things being equal, there is a higher chance of success and, as a bonus, avoiding A&E with a no. 4 Ken Sawada planted in the corner of your eye.
But, in terms of weather forecasting, as my old grandpappy used to say, It'll be what It'll be.:thumb:

Certainly not the case on the Thurso.
A wind is a blessing on that river. I would imagine in most slow flowing rivers the wind will be welcomed.

goosander

Reaction score
Like a wind when the summer water levels are low. Remember one hot cloudless June day with not a bit of wind. The river was completely dead. A soft downstream wind got up and there were fish showing in every pool I tried. Wind stopped and river dead again. Asked my 2 guests and they could not believe the number of fish that had been showing.
Bob.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I remember an article in T & S some time ago about "micro climates". Days which were fundamentally windy and cold but suddenly you got a spell where the wind dropped and the temperature at least appeared to rise. Perhaps only 15 minutes but so often that is when a fish is caught.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ive seen the seatrout come out of hiding when a storm cloud had passed over and its went dark almost like a false dusk.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Ive seen the seatrout come out of hinding when a storm cloud had passed over and its went dark almost like a false dusk.

There was another article (T & S again I think) about sea trout fishing in a solar eclipse. I think there were similar results, there was a definite increase in sea trout activity during the dark of the eclipse.

Rennie

Reaction score
My favourite pool on a river,during summer, low clear water, very very sunny, absolutely nothing showing all day long, stood sweating yer waders off.As soon as the sun dips behind tree's, false sunset!,ooohhh 'ello whats causing that commotion then, whats splashing about whats - - -tug tug tug, fish on, by no means an isolated occurrence, at times bet my last wee tube on it!.
Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
My favourite pool on a river,during summer, low clear water, very very sunny, absolutely nothing showing all day long, stood sweating yer waders off.As soon as the sun dips behind tree's, false sunset!,ooohhh 'ello whats causing that commotion then, whats splashing about whats - - -tug tug tug, fish on, by no means an isolated occurrence, at times bet my last wee tube on it!.
Pedro.
Seen that happen a few times late season on the coquet, soon as the sun dips behind the hills it can come alive as fish start to move.

ibm59

Reaction score
Possibly, can't remember the author. But I can think of days when it has happened for me.

Treasured T&S from many moons ago.
Currie’s article on March springers and micro climates , and a belter of an article on shrimp flies by the late lamented Peter O’Reilly.
Well worth finding a copy if you can.

1FC4E6DE-A2CE-4A20-B832-9104A5A560BF.jpeg