Iceland Rivers 2019

sgellert

Reaction score
Alright, I like this one!
Added peacock herl to the back, as recommended here https://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/hka-sunraybismo
IMG_20200709_085253.jpg

Piscean

Reaction score
Just finished 3 days staying at West Ranga lodge, it was generally agreed catches were slightly below average for pre peak season which is mid July to mid August. I landed 9 salmon and lost probably 20 fish, I also caught a couple of sewin and trout. My first time in Iceland and it was a fantastic experience, the guides, lodge, food all superb. A guide is pretty much essential unless you’ve been a couple of times. I would definitely hire a guide because new runs of fish come through once or twice a day and the guides all communicate with each other as to where fish are showing and when they would be expected to come through the different beats. Lots of guys catching over 5 fish a day.
Now the nitty gritty- £1,100 per day full board and guide, I’ve started saving for next year.

sgellert

Reaction score
Sound great, makes me even more excited about East Ranga 11th of August :)
What was the average size of the salmon ?
And which flies did you have most success with ?

sgellert

Reaction score
I actually have a bit of monkey lying around, would it be better than goat for the Sunrays ?
I've been saving it for a special occasion, this might be as a good at time as any.

fixedspool

Reaction score
I actually have a bit of monkey lying around, would it be better than goat for the Sunrays ?
I've been saving it for a special occasion, this might be as a good at time as any.
You seriously reckon the fish can tell. Really!!

sgellert

Reaction score
You seriously reckon the fish can tell. Really!!
Not really, no, but I bought it "by accident" earlier this year, and might as well use it for the sunrays.
And to me it looks a little more neat than goat.
If all that mattered to salmon fishermen was "do you think the fish can tell", that would reduce the forum activity and fly discussions to pretty much zero.