Iain bain specials

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi all, still been tying away. First attempts at tying some iain bain specials. I watch his videos whenever they come up and got the pattern for this from there. Plus I used this forum to see how others have tied them.

Quite pleased with them but finding it hard to keep the heads small. Basically there is quite a bit of material tied in at the head area....red dyed pheasant tippet, grey squirrel, crystal hair, black squirrel, blue hackle throat and jungle cock. Obviously the squirrel is bulking things right up. The other bit I'm finding tricky is getting the yellow goose biots to sit upright and not flip over on the shank. Anyway, here is a pic....

20210320_122712.jpg

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Crackers jamie 👍. Substitute the black squirrel for black Arctic runner it helps keeps the bulk down a little 👍
Absolutely not wrong with your heads 👌 a nice shape to them and varnished very neatly 👍

westie4566

Reaction score
Spot on with those!!! Get them in the water (y)

Know what you mean up front as there is a LOT going on there. Your heads are great though so stop fretting!:p

Took me many attempts to get even one I was happy with.

(Have a look at the originators video on these...your heads put his to shame)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
As already said I think you’ve done a brilliant job on them. If you really can’t face them being in your box then send them my way because they will be put front and centre...😉

Andrew B

Reaction score
Lol same sentiments as above. Absolutely nothing wrong with those flies and remember that these flies are for fishing and durability.
I’ve followed Iain’s videos for years. He’d be the first to tell you, he’s no great Spey caster but he tracks and fishes his flies as well as anyone imo.

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
They look superb, I agree with your thoughts on the amount of materials towards the head. I have tried tying the gp tippets in mid hook so I have a front and rear body, a little more fiddling but saves on Bulk in the head area.

Finglas

Reaction score
Crackers jamie 👍. Substitute the black squirrel for black Arctic runner it helps keeps the bulk down a little 👍
Absolutely not wrong with your heads 👌 a nice shape to them and varnished very neatly 👍

Thanks Arnold. I'll definitely try the arctic runner and see how it looks and ties in.

Finglas

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words. I'm definitely happy with them and will fish them, probably on a dropper. The fly tying seems to make me quite pernickety with proportions and sizing but end of the day I caught the odd fish on flies I tied myself when I was about 14 so they can't be that fussy haha!

cullet

Reaction score
Spot on with those!!! Get them in the water (y)

Know what you mean up front as there is a LOT going on there. Your heads are great though so stop fretting!:p

Took me many attempts to get even one I was happy with.

(Have a look at the originators video on these...your heads put his to shame)
Couldn't agree with you more westie,lve watched him tying his specials, there's no holding back with the varnish. May be it's what the fish like.lol