I want to try Guideline Rods;

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm considering the new LPXe 13 foot in 8/9 and looking for feedback on the rods, opinions actually. Must be the lockdown got to me :shocked:

Would like to hear from users please.

Ard

kimbo

Reaction score
I had one, it was the 4 piece model that superseded the 3 piece. The 3 piece was a much nicer rod I found the 4 piece a bit stiffer.
I sold it after a while and bought a loop cross which is a much better rod.
Just my opinion and everyone is different

skagitmonster

Reaction score
i was tempted by the lpxe buy bought an lxi instead , not a bad rod but a bit heavy on the tip end for me ,i also moved it on for a cross s1 12ft ,i wouldnt trade the cross for all the money in the world an absolute joy to use

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies, I'm off to bed soon here but will check back about 3 PM your time. 9 hours different we are you know......... I've been looking at Vision rods too but may stay the course with that Guideline

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Hi Alt, I had Guideline 13s but then I discovered Loomis NRX 13 8/9. As nice a rod as I've used and you can get them easily on your side of the pond.

best

happy days

Reaction score
I'm considering the new LPXe 13 foot in 8/9 and looking for feedback on the rods, opinions actually. Must be the lockdown got to me :shocked:

Would like to hear from users please.

Ard

It might be worth a call to james norris at J Norris penrith tell him you are admin on here, if he can connect you with someone on your side for a trial I am sure he will. :)

Ps the NT8 is the only rod I want to fish with now.

Last edited:

mc andy

Reaction score
The best all round guideline imo is the reaction in 13ft7 9/10#. Suitable for all line types. The lpxe isn't suitable for skagit line so much. Not currently in production but still come up on ebay occasionally. Original model being the better than the newer frs.

Cheers andy

Rennie

Reaction score
Ard, I've a boatload of rods from various manufactures. I've 3 differing Guideline models, amongst those 4 different LPXe's including the V2 4piece 13fter.
I have to say it's an absolute peach of a rod!.Lets be honest, right from the off its not a rod for Skagits and heavy tips or long heavy bellied Spey lines.But for what you on t'other side of the pond like to refer to as Scandi Heads it's about as good as it gets!.It will handle short/med headed full lines too, but its forte is always shooting heads, that's what it was designed for.Mine handles heads from Floating, Multi tip, through to sinking in single/double/triple density variations.
Its my favourite rod! amongst a considerable collection.
You will no doubt have heard of the reputation of these rods breaking?, well to an extent it was true, but bear in mind before the early versions of these rods were on the market, most of the rods would have had far more carbon in them and been far stronger because of the way we had to fish them, long heavy sinkers, heavy tubes etc etc and they needed a physical technique to get the best from them!.That technique didn't transcend well and to be honest wasn't needed, sadly some were slow to realise/accept that!.
Any way, I haven't broken a Guideline in honest use(my own negligence maybe!,doh!) but I have done 3 B+W's whilst casting!.
So, moving onward!, if you want rod for purely Shooting heads, its as good as it gets! and is capable of so much.Were you over here like you intended, you could have had the use of mine with pleasure! and still can if you re-arrange! your visit!.Honestly, its one of those rods that always feels better than you are, there's always a bit left in reserve.Mine gets used with Guideline heads(naturally, they compliment each other perfectly!) and Scandinavian Flylines heads too, handy with a 540 Rage or 510 scandi compact too, it carries a Mk2 Hardy Angel 9/10, and is a nice well balanced outfit.Mines had fish to just short of 20lb so far, never a problem.
Its a bit of a clue that I like them honestly when i've the 15ft, 16ft and 17ft too!.
Any way, hope that helps, any more words of wisdom, feel free happy to oblige any time.
Hang in there dude!,Pedro.

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well those replies add some insight and I appreciate it.

I do still have the international calling account on my mobile so I may give the people at J Norris penrith a call to see what they may be able to assist with. I know a shop down in the lower 48 that handles some European brands and will ring him up also.

Pedro,

I am about as close to a Scandinavian style fisher as they get in Alaska. I use custom made lines that I can't order from the big line sellers and I fish using that odd sinking leader system of mine. I do own 1 Skagit length head (32 foot) it too was a custom cut and integrated line. I have never used it for fishing but carry it in my boat bag as a back up spool.

Other than my honest Mid Spey lines that are 55 - 70 feet in length all my lines are 45' bellies with integrated running lines because I do not like the loop to loop heads. Those 45's will carry loads up to a 4' section of Z-15 (60 grains) and a weighted tube and turn things over very well at any range.

Now the truth....... Why do I want this rod? I recently got hold of a new Hardy Reel, the MTX 7000 7/8/9 size and being at a point in life that little things make me happy I believe that the reel matched to the new LPXe rod will have a very good look. I believe you could call someone like that a Tackle Tart.

Another aspect of this would be that I have become enamored with ultra light Spey rod reel match ups. I spent way too many years fishing with a 13'9" Hardy Salmon Fly circa 1981 serial numbers on that one..... The rod weighs somewhere around 14 ounces and the lightest reel I ever had was a St. Andrew. When the New Wide Spool Perfects were introduced I snatched one right away because I could set it for left hand retrieve. Beautiful set of rod and reel only problem was the reels weigh nearly 16 ounces. Now add in a bunch of backing and a 700 grain Ian Gordon long belly line and the rod / reel and line combination weighs around 2 1/2 pounds maybe more. I was cool with that until I got to fish with new rods belonging to clients, rods half the weight of mine and I started to upgrade about ten years ago.

I use a 14' Sage X with a Sage Spectrum Max reel on it that seems to evaporate in my hands as I fish. Remember I'm used to the old Hardy and the Sage feels as if I should have a string attached to it and on my way to someone's party as if it were balloons. I also use an 11 1/2 foot Hardy Mk II with a Swift 9500 reel that is super light and really enjoy it. All these for my Scandi long lines and what they call an underhanded casting style.

That new Hardy MTX weighs only 5.5 ounce or something in that ballpark and these Guideline rods are only slightly heavier. Add in a 550 grain Scandi long and I'm thinking it would not only look super pretty but will be super light. The dressing trims on the rods actually match the accents on the MTX reel and it can't get better than that.

The fishing is upon me and I doubt the rod can be delivered before June but I intend to get one on the way The best price I've found is 575 Euro if you know of any better pricing please speak now :)

I've cleaned and serviced my jet boat and am going to go exploring either tomorrow or the next day, still waiting for the ice berg reports to come in. There are always early salmon here just like there but finding them before they show in number can amount to working on ones tan for the day.

JoeE

Reaction score
I have a 11, 12, 14 and 15ft V3 LPXe and they are brill rods. Paired with 35g heads from any of the makers and bing it will throw them. Fished everything from Full Floats to Sink 6/7 heads with monster tubes and tiny size 18s. Faultless rods. Fish to 18lb so far and plenty of backbone

MikeCC

Reaction score
Guideline do make a nice blank, assuming you like a faster/tippier style action. Great with short heads/shooting heads. It all depends what you want the rod to do? In terms of finish, build quality and components, then Guideline are pretty much middle of the road with the Lpxe - cork is ‘average’, SIC guides etc. For the price of importing one to the States would you not be cheaper(arguably better?) buying a home grown Sage, Scott or Loomis?? Dont get me wrong, on this side of the pond, id happily fish a Guideline blank all day....great middle of the road price bracket, but on your side of the water id be buying a Sage or a Scott if the price is the same.

bluejay

Reaction score
Ditto what Rennie said.

I liked my old 12'6" 8/9 LPXe 3 pc very, very much.
There was a shop in BC that carried them last year, perhaps they still do.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guideline do make a nice blank, assuming you like a faster/tippier style action. Great with short heads/shooting heads. It all depends what you want the rod to do? In terms of finish, build quality and components, then Guideline are pretty much middle of the road with the Lpxe - cork is ‘average’, SIC guides etc. For the price of importing one to the States would you not be cheaper(arguably better?) buying a home grown Sage, Scott or Loomis?? Dont get me wrong, on this side of the pond, id happily fish a Guideline blank all day....great middle of the road price bracket, but on your side of the water id be buying a Sage or a Scott if the price is the same.

I have 3 Sage rods one is a single hand 5 one of the Foundation series I bought just to see how it felt compared to my 1994 Orvis PM-10 five weight. It's good, probably a little quicker than the PM-10 which was the Orvis flagship in 94. I'm not as refined as many people are at being able to discern subtle differences in rods, basically I make a rod do what I need, if I have to work too hard to make it work then I know it isn't for me. The other 2 Sage are a 13 1/2 foot One for 550 grain and a 14 foot X for the same grain weight. I like both of those but passed on the new Igniter.

I'll check Canada for dealers of Guideline, haven't looked there yet, thanks for that idea.

westie4566

Reaction score
Ard, I've a boatload of rods from various manufactures. I've 3 differing Guideline models, amongst those 4 different LPXe's including the V2 4piece 13fter.
I have to say it's an absolute peach of a rod!.Lets be honest, right from the off its not a rod for Skagits and heavy tips or long heavy bellied Spey lines.But for what you on t'other side of the pond like to refer to as Scandi Heads it's about as good as it gets!.It will handle short/med headed full lines too, but its forte is always shooting heads, that's what it was designed for.Mine handles heads from Floating, Multi tip, through to sinking in single/double/triple density variations.
Its my favourite rod! amongst a considerable collection.
You will no doubt have heard of the reputation of these rods breaking?, well to an extent it was true, but bear in mind before the early versions of these rods were on the market, most of the rods would have had far more carbon in them and been far stronger because of the way we had to fish them, long heavy sinkers, heavy tubes etc etc and they needed a physical technique to get the best from them!.That technique didn't transcend well and to be honest wasn't needed, sadly some were slow to realise/accept that!.
Any way, I haven't broken a Guideline in honest use(my own negligence maybe!,doh!) but I have done 3 B+W's whilst casting!.
So, moving onward!, if you want rod for purely Shooting heads, its as good as it gets! and is capable of so much.Were you over here like you intended, you could have had the use of mine with pleasure! and still can if you re-arrange! your visit!.Honestly, its one of those rods that always feels better than you are, there's always a bit left in reserve.Mine gets used with Guideline heads(naturally, they compliment each other perfectly!) and Scandinavian Flylines heads too, handy with a 540 Rage or 510 scandi compact too, it carries a Mk2 Hardy Angel 9/10, and is a nice well balanced outfit.Mines had fish to just short of 20lb so far, never a problem.
Its a bit of a clue that I like them honestly when i've the 15ft, 16ft and 17ft too!.
Any way, hope that helps, any more words of wisdom, feel free happy to oblige any time.
Hang in there dude!,Pedro.

Ard

I would entirely agree with what Rennie said above. I have both the 13 and 15 they are seriously good rods. I also agree with his pairing with Rage heads - it's a match made in heaven. One of my friends tried the 540 gr on my 13' and later that evening bought TWO 13' Lpxe's. One for use and one in reserve, lol.

I did break the tip section of mine two years past Monday, but that was user error trying to land a fiesty springer at close hand and touched an overhanging branch with the rod under full compression!

I know your a fan of the Hardy Swift in 11' 6" guise - so am I and shift down from the 13' Lpxe to that during the summer months. They are clearly different beasts, however I suspect we may have similar tastes in our rods.

As Rennie said, had you made it across here I'd also have been delighted to let you have a good play with the Lpxe's.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Testing Canada proved to be the right approach, I just got off the phone with my brand new friend at Guideline Quebec and am all set :)

He'll be viewing the SFF as well as my own video so he gets a look at my mug. I already apologized for not shaving and presenting myself better on film but I'm just a fella not a celebrity so on any given day I may look as if I stepped from the band box or just returned from a 3 day binge, all bets are off.

I had planned to make a good impression on you fellows over there had the trip transformed as planned but now you'll get the 'one year older Ard' if I can put it together for next season, I'd bet on that I think.

Thanks to all of you,

Ard

westie4566

Reaction score
Testing Canada proved to be the right approach, I just got off the phone with my brand new friend at Guideline Quebec and am all set :)

He'll be viewing the SFF as well as my own video so he gets a look at my mug. I already apologized for not shaving and presenting myself better on film but I'm just a fella not a celebrity so on any given day I may look as if I stepped from the band box or just returned from a 3 day binge, all bets are off.

I had planned to make a good impression on you fellows over there had the trip transformed as planned but now you'll get the 'one year older Ard' if I can put it together for next season, I'd bet on that I think.

Thanks to all of you,

Ard

Don't worry about appearance...most of us here have lockdown hair etc., it's not a pretty look, scares children makes dogs run and howl and turns milk sour.:lol:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Soon I'll be going for my early 70's look unless I get brave and take the clippers to it :)

Rrrr

Reaction score
I find my 13ft lpxe is pretty versatile, low water and using a barrio iss line and dinking small flys about gently on long leaders. Then stick a 540 grain rage head on and itl cut through almost any wind, launch any fly you want at distance, although not exactly subtle it gets the job done.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

westie4566

Reaction score
Soon I'll be going for my early 70's look unless I get brave and take the clippers to it :)

My next 'style' is the sheep look, long and shaggy. The ewes will love it when I get back out to see them...I can hear their mournful bleating from miles away..........! They must be missing their spring shearing, never mind, all the more hair for me to get a hold of, save's them running away. :thumb:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My next 'style' is the sheep look, long and shaggy. The ewes will love it when I get back out to see them...I can hear their mournful bleating from miles away..........! They must be missing their spring shearing, never mind, all the more hair for me to get a hold of, save's them running away. :thumb:

Christ! I was hoping to get through this thread without you going on about the dam ewes.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Guideline LPXe Double Handed Fly Rods | John Norris

£391.99 = Euro 447.23 = USD 482.915 NOT SURE ABOUT SHIPPING COSTS.
Id always buy from john norris even if they arent the cheapest with the rod.
Got my 13ft lpxe for 100 quid inc overnight postage as james did a deal on it as it was second hand and he rekoned the handle was a bit ropey. It arrived and was perfect condition and nothing wrong with the handle at all

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk