Hydro Plans on the Foyle

Jockiescott

Reaction score
That's a problem yes but wind farms alone aren't the problem.. the draining of natural wet lands for EU money and then the forestry will have a far bigger impact on water getting to the system quicker than a few wind farm sites..

It all add ups and I agree the river just doesn't hold water any more but its not the sole fault of a few windmill sites...

The government doesn't care about anything green. Unless its money. Which is why anything with s grant gets pushed through

But the places I am talking about with dry burns don't have forestry.

I am talking about specific areas, not in general.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
They will definitely impact the area that they're built on, to suggest otherwise is foolish but they aren't the sole cause of why 6ft of water disappears in 24 hrs either... thats my point.. all being equal we could live with a wind farm or 2 if the rest wasn't so bad

Jockiescott

Reaction score
They will definitely impact the area that they're built on, to suggest otherwise is foolish but they aren't the sole cause of why 6ft of water disappears in 24 hrs either... thats my point.. all being equal we could live with a wind farm or 2 if the rest wasn't so bad

It's obvious we're never going to agree on this. The government push for green energy is having detrimental effects on the environment.

The harm done by drainage could be easily rectified. The harm done by windfarms is irreparable.

Black Dyson

Reaction score
Nail on the head. There was a certain party I won't name (but they won the West Tyrone seat again this year) who were big up the hydro scheme and saw ££££ signs in their eyes. It absolutely sickens me every election time to see anglers sharing them on Facebook and still being gullible enough to vote for this party who wants to sell out their own community and environment for profit. And now they have the absolute cheek to protest the diabolical Dalradian. Absolute hypocrites.
Dalradian want to do the same thing. Destroy our environment and shift on their money back to Canada and give our local community the middle finger!

You’re 100% about Dalradian. I believe it has split the local community into those that believe in fairy Godmothers and those who understand how the real world works. If Dalradian is allowed to proceed, they will destroy the Owenkillew and everything from the salmon to pearl mussels that live in it. Once the mine is exhausted (as eventually they all are), they will f**k off back to Canada and leave us with the mess. Knowing our local politicians, I am fearful. Most of them aren’t that bright and lose all sense of morality once the smell of money creeps into the air. I really hope the more sensible locals manage to stop this environmental vandalism and someone in power has the foresight to support them. It’s depressing when you ponder the fact that NI is led by a small town solicitor and accounting technician that got into local politics. Neither is of the calibre that would impress on the mainland. Both are bogged down in opposing prejudices and surrounded by a civil service with mind boggling incompetence - as evidenced by the RHI debacle.

Last edited: