How was your season ?

budge

Reaction score
Well that's a funny old season over with ! My best one to date.
I made the decision last year to spend this season solely salmon fishing without distractions from my coarse match fishing. Limited to my local river Ribble due to covid .
Ended season with 11 fish including 2 late springers all on fly. Two biggest were 36 inch long. Lost another 8 that were on for a while but came off for no apparent reason. This including the last fish I hooked earlier this month which I played for a good ten minutes and was a good fish that came out the water and spat the fly out.
My season just fizzled out mid month really with constant high water that always seemed to coincide with my days off work.
I learned a lot and made some new friends on the bank and enjoyed every minute of it. Roll on next season

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

riffled hitch

Reaction score
My season was brilliant. I am alive and kicking and managed a few fish too which is a bonus after 2 months of not casting a line, just thankful to be out in the fresh air and treat any fish I catch as a bonus

Tangled

Reaction score
Disastrous, bought a new rod at the beginning of the year, haven't yet taken the plastic wrapper off the cork..

budge

Reaction score
I was expecting a deluge of great catches that put my meagre results in the shade ? I've read a few reports of personal bests this year. Maybe more due to lack of effort than lack of fish ? Personally I've put more time in on the river this year once lockdown was lifted , it's the one thing that's kept my head straight. Not sure what the winter and new restrictions will bring ? Let's hope we can get some normality back next year.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Had a good season all things considerd.
Broke my personal best fish on the fly 3 times and had some good sport.
Also had some good laughs on the river and some great days out.
Lost a good few fish this year for no real reason i can think of but it just pushed me to fish for longer to get fish to stick.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

ibm59

Reaction score
Didn’t so much as wet a line in anger.

Last edited:

jimmythefish

Reaction score
My season on a personal level was fantastic my first salmon on the fly (full season fly only) a new pb. Also a new pb sea trout also fly caught in the 14lbs+ class. Learnt alot already looking forward to the next. Congratulations on those fish they are real nice specimens well done budge!!
Nothing comes close fishing solely for the salmon just on the fly, believe me I’ve had a go at the course fishing,and started out after the trout,then onto those trout ponds at £20 for 2 fish etc, but nothing, and I mean nothing comes close to heading out alone to the river bank dead early in the morning,casting that flea and feel thon big huge pull on the line. That’s why the salmon is called the king of all fish ?. There were mornings there in July and August I was out,it seemed liked hours,then went down to the supermarket and found it almost empty as it was only half eight, then days,weeks,even months without a pull,but I and many others still battered on,then one day I got a pull,then another and another then a fish, so that’s the way of it for most I’d guess in my humble opinion,what makes it for me is getting up really really early,sometimes it’s hard,it’s so easy to say I’ll lie for another hour,but get up and go ,and you’ll see the foxes,hawks,big fish rising when all the worlds asleep ?. So well done mate,I new a 100% you’d do well. Now aim to double that next year,as you’ll know better fly’s,technique, nice salmon lies.+ experience, so how many of the lads on here will say,even those great fishing guys who had a bad year,and not there fault,will say ROLL ON NEXT YEAR.????

Middle Bay

Reaction score
My season was good when it got going. Three months lost to virus restrictions which included trips to the Tay, Spey, Rutland and Sutherland, made me appreciate it when I did get out on the water. Ended with 4 salmon/grilse best 15 pounds and 41 sea trout/finnock best 3 pounds. Also some nice browns and rainbows mostly on the dries. I did miss meeting friends, some I'll not see again. Already looking forward to next year.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Terrible season. Didn’t buy a rod license until September which was the first time I got out down to Wales for a week. Record floods sent the fish into the hills, with none running thereafter. Salmon fishing is now a spring and summer past time imo.

long Preston

Reaction score
had three seatrout off the Ribble during the day-which considering my effort wasn't too bad-only saw 1 salmon show which is pretty consistent with hthe last 5 seasons.
didnt fish as much on the tyne due to excessive workload, co running a shoot and covid. managed 5 salmon to 18lb and 7 seatrout-the latter was a poor return from one of the best runs of quality seatrout I have seen in 12 seasons. my average was 4.55lb -nothing bigger than 6 and smaller than 3lb-so yes most of them were a similar size. saw some beezers landed between7 and 13lb. hopefully fish more next year

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Nothing comes close fishing solely for the salmon just on the fly, believe me I’ve had a go at the course fishing,and started out after the trout,then onto those trout ponds at £20 for 2 fish etc, but nothing, and I mean nothing comes close to heading out alone to the river bank dead early in the morning,casting that flea and feel thon big huge pull on the line. That’s why the salmon is called the king of all fish ?. There were mornings there in July and August I was out,it seemed liked hours,then went down to the supermarket and found it almost empty as it was only half eight, then days,weeks,even months without a pull,but I and many others still battered on,then one day I got a pull,then another and another then a fish, so that’s the way of it for most I’d guess in my humble opinion,what makes it for me is getting up really really early,sometimes it’s hard,it’s so easy to say I’ll lie for another hour,but get up and go ,and you’ll see the foxes,hawks,big fish rising when all the worlds asleep ?. So well done mate,I new a 100% you’d do well. Now aim to double that next year,as you’ll know better fly’s,technique, nice salmon lies.+ experience, so how many of the lads on here will say,even those great fishing guys who had a bad year,and not there fault,will say ROLL ON NEXT YEAR.????
Love that mate cheers, its absolutely magic sitting on the river bank before the world has awakened, and that salmon, when I set the hook exploded out the water (fresh hen approx 10lbs) my reel went zinnnnnnng......EPIC

Bruino

Reaction score
Had an absolutely fantastic season, first one where I have gotten into double figure numbers caught, with 2 big back end lumps. Most satisfactory pursuit was working with member Rush to clean up our favourite run clearing out submerged branches which made wading and casting dangerous and trimming back vegetation and branches which payed dividends for both of us.

JoeE

Reaction score
Had a brilliant year my self with some new rivers throw into the mix but the back end kinna flized out for me in the end up. Kinna feel a sense of disappointment but then have to remind myself about the great year I actually did have

SP8

Reaction score
Well I had an amazing season really. I only fished 5 days for salmon and caught 4 fish which for me is an unbelievable success rate. Two in ten minutes on Ribble in late August and two last Thursday on upper Tweed. It's almost rekindled my enthusiasm for salmon fishing but I expect it will be back to the usual struggle next year.

SP8

NEbody

Reaction score
I’m happy with my season. My local fishing, on the Coquet, suffered from a lack of water from mid March until late August but has fished well once it got going. My highlight was an away day the Ure, courtesy of MCXfisher, which gave me my first Yorkshire salmon and was followed by him catching his first Coquet salmon on the return fixture.

ibm59

Reaction score
Seems to be popular acceptance that catches of black and red back end fish are an acceptible indication of a decent season:

Seems to me that many need to differentiate between personal
achievements, and the nieceties of what should and what should not be done

Quite frankly , many of the trophy shots posted recently should be consigned to wherever.
Appalling

If anything , there’re a perfect example as to why some shouldn’t be allowed out on their own.

keirstream

Reaction score
Had an absolutely fantastic season, first one where I have gotten into double figure numbers caught, with 2 big back end lumps. Most satisfactory pursuit was working with member Rush to clean up our favourite run clearing out submerged branches which made wading and casting dangerous and trimming back vegetation and branches which payed dividends for both of us.

Did RUSH steal the apples off the trees before you pruned the branches.?:D:D