How was your 2021?

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Im curious to know Irish salmon fishing went this year. I only managed 2 trips this year but Id like to hear from others

Late June: Erriff for 2.5 days in low water. Managed one small grilse and lost a bigger fish under the falls in beat 9. Looking back in it I think i foul hooked it. The fight was really odd, I had no control over the fish, cant remember any head shakes, finally lost it when it caught the line under a boulder.

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 11.59.59 copy.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 12.00.25 copy.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 12.00.12 copy.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

Early August: The Blackwater finally got a spate after months of low water. I waited 3 days after the water had a rise (which was a little to late looking back). I fished around Lismore for 2.5 days, camped by the river (in heaven basically). First day I had 2 decent fish, one old 16lb. Second day I lost 3 decent fish spinning, day 3 blanked.

IMG_3671 2.jpg

barbonboy

Reaction score
WOW, the Garden Pool looks empty. Don't think I've seen it that low, for many years. Well done with the fish.

Arndilly

Reaction score
The grilse were a bit late but an sessions I had during spates in July /August were very productive. Mayo/Sligo generally

Petekd

Reaction score
Very good in general, fishing mainly on the Blackwater (Kilmurry) with an odd trip to the Moy. I haven’t really fished too much since before that proper hot spell a few weeks back. I’d a great spring with a good number of big doubles and some super days with grilse. Last season was great but I passed the total for that at end of July. Just back from my most successful visit to Sweden too chasing Baltic’s so it’s been a grand year all round. In years gone by I’d be flogging the hell out of it in the low water, this season I’m not bothered with that, if I was scratching for a fish though that might be a different story! It’s been a very different fishing year to last year. Constant reasonable water heights and a good run last year made life relatively easy, this year took a bit more figuring out on occasion and when they came on they properly came on, make hay…! 7 landed in 2 hours one evening for example, 2 mornings in July had a half dozen on each. The spring run was funny, they were there to be caught and I was lucky to get amongst them regularly but they didn’t give themselves away, there wasn’t anything too technical about it, it was more down to knowing the exact lies and being able to cover them, drop a fly in the right place and more often than not you’d a fish. Fishing larger flies than normal for the runners and tiny micros for the settled fish paid dividends. A cascade tube or a simple green butt Willie Gunn type thing on a size 14 hammered the springers. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We’ve still 4 weeks left but unless there’s a rise in water I won’t be doing too much.

S.preston

Reaction score
Had a great year on the Bandon , with 13 fish landed to 14lb although many more lost . The start was shaky with nothing in Feb then a springer hooked and lost in heavy water in March and more days went buy without meeting a fish nor any signs bar a solitary sea trout. April came and went with a few more violent shortlived runs and then May arrived and fish started to appear in numbers , the runs more frequent but alas the net still dry. June brought some high water and with it a lovely 14lb fish fresh off the tide on the fly and a few more fish followed and by August confidence was built and finished the month landing four fish on a Sunday and brought my tally to 13 . The last week has been a struggle much like early season due to the lack of water although I have had 12 hook ups but all lost , it seems the low gin clear water has fish just snatching at the flies only lightly hooked. Hopefully some more rain graces us and with that a healthy rise 🙏

goodwin8288

Reaction score
Rubbish !!!! we have not been able to come over from the uk again for the second year running for our normal fishing weeks (may and end of june) due to travel restrictions , I know some have found a way around the restrictions but we did not want to do that , you are all very lucky living over there !! maybe next year will be kinder to us hopefully.

Loxie

Reaction score
Rubbish !!!! we have not been able to come over from the uk again for the second year running for our normal fishing weeks (may and end of june) due to travel restrictions , I know some have found a way around the restrictions but we did not want to do that , you are all very lucky living over there !! maybe next year will be kinder to us hopefully.
Someone I know went over by ferry and claimed it was a necessary journey for the good of his mental health! I believe he had to expand a bit on his theory when pulled up by the Guards on the way home but got away with it.

phatagrova

Reaction score
Strange season , with so many factors affecting things , travel restrictions over the border & lack of water , plus trying to get time off work when conditions improved briefly .This year I connected with more Springers than normal on the Finn per trip, although lost a few due to single barbless hooks , It was one of the few yrs in recent times were I actually seen springers show when moving upstream , a great sight , The river had a great Spring run , my number of days fishing is very light compared to previous yrs , my tally for the year so far stands at 9 fish to the bank , considering the overall opportunity to get fishing and weather conditions , like others ill have to take it ,, Looks like the season could fizzle out , The Mourne had one flood during 1st week August , i think that was the first from early season

goodwin8288

Reaction score
Someone I know went over by ferry and claimed it was a necessary journey for the good of his mental health! I believe he had to expand a bit on his theory when pulled up by the Guards on the way home but got away with it.
Hi Andrew yes I know a few did that but when I looked into it the guidance said that you had to do a PCR test in both countries and maybe even isolate depending on your circumstances although I think none of this happened !! so I did not want to risk it with work ETC . I did manage a few trips to scotland instead in less than ideal conditions both times low water and blazing sun , I fished the upper Findhorn for a couple of days (on the estate we were staying) and then fished the association water at the bottom end for a couple more all lovely water and managed to lose a fish on each!!. And had 3 days on the Eachaig the other week and managed to get a pull of 1 fish and got half a dozen sea trout at night . I see you and your dad have managed a few fish from your local water well done!!

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Terrible!!! 😔

Lack of water was my main problem this season and then when water did come the river was extremely busy.

Season opened on April 1st and we got no water to mid May. Then basically no water again until August. There were fish in the tide waiting on water that didn't come.

We got a wee lift in early August and I managed to hook one on the surface with my small flies but it was off as quick as it was on.

We finally got a decent flood around the second week of August and I managed to land a grilse of around 6lb.

I hooked another one and lost it at the net a few days later and there has been no water since.

I love hooking fish on the surface as it is so visual. I don't really enjoy fishing deep for them and that is the traditional tactics from August on as the fish just switch off. I sorely missed not getting fishing in July. Its basically the only run we get now and when they're fresh, the fishing can be excellent.

I don't think I've spent more than 12 hours at the river all season. Poor, poor year for the type of fishing I enjoy most.

Leannan

Reaction score
Good season on the Moy so far. 27 landed to date and quite a few lost. Poor Spring with two for a fair amount of effort. Not been out in weeks but the water is looking nice after yesterday’s rain so may have a few casts tomorrow. The size was up on last year with grilse averaging over 5 pound compared to an average of 4-4.5 pound last season. Over the few seasons before that they were averaging around 3.5 pound.

PETEY

Reaction score
My salmon fishing tends to be truncated into pre booked days when work allows. This year it consisted of 5 days in total. One day in June was my annual trip to the ridge pool ( as reported on the Moy thread) where I had 5 grilse before I had to stop. I also " had the play" out of five other fish , which came off , before I reached my fifth fish landed. My next trip was 4 days to the Munster Blackwater in August. This was a long anticipated trip with 3 other anglers. My tally was 9 salmon landed ( some others on / off) with 4 landed on 2 of the four days - mostly grilse / heaviest about 8lbs. This year I got lucky with conditions and 14 salmon over 5 days.

Last edited:

Royser89

Reaction score
For me personally my season was a no go Just did not have the time and lost motivation and was on a go slow. I have 8 fish got this season and very lucky to have them. On the days I could get out I missed alot of the runs by a day or two or missed a good flood. Majority of the lads I do be in contact with and that had time for fishing are after having a exceptional season plenty of salmon got up until mid August. My thoughts of Salmon in the rivers that I fished have plenty of abundance which is a great sign for the future.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

S.preston

Reaction score
It's not over yet , landed 2 out of 3 runs yesterday !One fresh and the other a coloured hen fish .

Attachments

• 20210909_092122.jpg
    20210909_092122.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 45

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Hmmmmm

A hard season to judge with little rain and no working counter..

The only plus side is Hours fished to fished caught was actually very good, only problem was there wasn't too many hours fished for Salmon this year. The pollock and Coalies were good Craic though.

Its just a Pity we didn't water when then these guys were slipping in steady in July. As when there's water there's a few there to catch
20210910_175110.jpg

Leannan

Reaction score
Still a few fish about East Mayo. I landed two yesterday (both 3.5 Pound) and lost two others. This evening I caught a beautiful big hen fish about 15 Pound. Serious fight. Thankfully she shot off strongly as soon as I put her back in the water. I recovered about 15 minutes later but no more touches for the rest of the evening.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Still a few fish about East Mayo. I landed two yesterday (both 3.5 Pound) and lost two others. This evening I caught a beautiful big hen fish about 15 Pound. Serious fight. Thankfully she shot off strongly as soon as I put her back in the water. I recovered about 15 minutes later but no more touches for the rest of the evening.
Very nice, having some season! I was down with the family and called by on Sunday afternoon to see what was happening. Seemed extremely quiet for the conditions. Hopefully get down next weekend and it picks up 👍

nore fly

Reaction score
Had one of my best years in a long time ..I was hitting on average 2 fish every outing ....all fresh fish from June till start of September..September died a death due to low water ..very happy with my season...

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
Haven’t been able to get out much this season along with poor conditions mean a lot less fish than last season.
Have had a few, best was 17/18lbs in June.
Was out yesterday and hooked 5, landed 2 on the Suir.

lax0341

Reaction score
Very bad. Do to the Covid19 restrictions it was not possible to come over for me the second year in a row now.
Very sad. But I caught my PB zander and also catfish this year an had a very good char.