How to weld Poly Leaders

Torrish

Reaction score
Hi

I have been given some extra long Poly leaders and need to cut them back to 7' or so. After I have cut them back I don't know how to securely weld a new loop on again.. Any advice on how to weld them would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
If you have to cut then cut from the front back and tie in a seemless Riverge Ring.Pedro.

Old Nog

Reaction score
Agree with the above; Cut back from the front! Then on certain types of Poly's such as Airflo & Hardy/Grey's, take a 8-10" piece of nylon leader about 12-15lb. With the nylon, tie an 'overhand knot' around the poly about 6-8" above from where you just cut. Pull the nylon tight so that the nylon slightly 'bites' on/in to the poly coating - holding both ends on nylon in one hand and the poly in the other, pull the nylon away from the poly in a nice slow movement (not too fast) the outer coating should strip off cleanly and without damage to the the poly's core. Then just tie on a Perfection Loop on the exposed core. Note some Poly's are better coated than other - on the Rio ones for example, the coating never seems to come away cleanly from the core - Easier to just buy some new ones! They won't last for ever anyway!

Last edited:

Richardgw

Reaction score
Agree to shorten, cut from front end as other have suggested.

Then what I did with a damaged leader with success (leader still in use) was to albright knot on a short section of 20 - 25 lbs mono into which a loop was tied. This then allows any length/breaking strain of point to be added loop to loop.

Richard