Thanks for all the replies folks, it’s nice to know that you enjoyed following each step. I have also been updating the opening post of this thread so that you can see everything from start to finish in one complete page.
Since joining the Forum the amount of information I have gained from it is amazing and I am sure that there is not a day goes past that I don’t learn something new or get enjoyment from reading all the posts. I felt that it was only right to put something back in return and this was what I came up with.
I have to agree with the other members that have commented on this thread; it has been excellent from the start and as I said before shows the kind of skills that draw admiration and envy in equal measure. Great skills and great thread - thank you Blue Zulu.
I wish I had counted up more accurately the amount of time it took me to make the reel but I would imagine it could be approaching 100 hours A lot of this time was spent changing set ups on the lathe which could have been done separately on a separate milling machine.
With regard to cost then I suppose I was quite lucky as I had some of the materials already but you could be looking at about £100 or more if you had to buy them.
I had to do a few modifications to make the winding plate/handle/check gear assembly fit more securely as a complete unit and a bit of tweaking with the check spring. I took it out for a test run earlier on in the year but to be honest it is slightly bigger than what I need and I found it to be a bit too noisy for my liking - others have said it sounds great.
I hope to solve this problem with my latest project which has a “poachers” knob to switch on or off the check.