How to make a Fly Reel

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
Unless Im missing something when you turn the brass tensioner screw clockwise it will be locked in the brass screw housing, anti-clockwise it will come out of the reel cage. I also cant see a means of retaining the thread in the reel cage?

The hole in the reel frame in not threaded and free to turn and I turned a groove near the end of the tension screw that is held in place by a small clasp. When you turn the screw it stays in position and the aluminium shoe moves up and down.

As they say, a picture paints a thousand words :) and I hope this one helps.

I still have a little bit of tweaking to do with the spring which I quickly made out of some piano wire that was bent round some 4 inch nails hammered into a bock of wood :eek: but that will have to wait until I come back from work in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Neil

Springer

Reaction score
Yes, it makes perfect sense Neil and is nothing less than I would expect from you. The shoulder isnt apparent from the pics.

So in effect the brass retainer removes the need to secure the tensioner rod anywhere else and the hole in the reel cage serves as a very basic bearing.

Have you copied this from somewhere or it it your own design?

luney

Reaction score
Pure Class

I want one! :eek:

Sod all this large-arbour, disc drag nonsense! :D

You and me both, Welsh Dee:D
What a feeling that would be, fishing with that reel knowing there is not another like it in the world. Amazing, fantastic thread thanks BZ

Orca

Reaction score
Excellent work Blue Zulu, your gifted man, when are you going into production? I would say alot of guys here would love one, keep up the good work

STAN. B.

Reaction score
possibly, one of the best posts i have ever seen on any forum. absolutely first class blue zulu:):) i wud love to own something like that, hand made and totally unique!!

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
Back home from work and not much more to do to finish my reel. I am not too keen to have any bare brass on show on the outside of the reel as I think the gold clashes with the black and silver. I have decided to nickel plate the rim tension adjuster and the reel foot screws. I have gone for a matt finish rather than the normal shiny finish as I think it matches the aluminium better.

After a scrub with a toothbrush and detergent I wrapped some fine copper wire around the groove in the thread and lowered it into some nitric acid based de-oxidiser and de-smutting solution for 30 seconds.

After a rinse in some de-ionized water I am ready to lower it into my DIY plating tank containing nickel electrolyte heated to about 30deg with nickel anodes running off a twelve volt battery.

I never used any brightening solution and found that twenty minutes was enough to give a nice matt finish.

I think this should match the aluminium nicely.

Not much more to do, so hopefully I should get it finished after the weekend.

To be continued…….

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
Anodising

Instead of a highly polished finish I prefer a matt finish to the aluminium which I achieved by using a scotchbrite pad for the final polish. Prior to anodising I gave everything a good scrub with detergent and rinsed thoroughly.

Each component gets attached to some aluminium wire then the first step of the anodising process is to dip them into some sodium hydroxide de-oxidising solution. Remember these any nasty chemicals so please do not try this at home unless you know what you are doing and remember to wear protective clothing, rubber gloves and face protection and work in a well ventilated area.

Here you can see the solution at work. The longer the item is left in the solution then the more matt the surface becomes

Rinse in de-ionised water then dip in nitric acid based de-oxidiser and de-smutting solution

Another rinse in de-ionised water then into the anodising bath containing sulphuric acid and powered by a 12Volt battery

Bubbling away nicely

After about twenty minutes remove and thoroughly rise in water. If the items were to be dyed then that would be done next followed by boiling in a sealer to fix the colour.

After re-assembly and some final adjustments it is ready to put a line on it and go fishing.

I am away back to work in the morning but looking forward to getting out and trying my new reel when I return.

I would also just like to say thanks to everyone who has commented on my work and apologies for not replying individually.

Cheers
Neil

PAC

Reaction score
Looks like a truly beautiful reel.

Thank you so much for sharing - it has been very very interesting.

Best of luck with fishing with it - I hope it treats you well.

Tyke777

Reaction score
What a great thread - I have been watching this project from when you first started, what a wonderful piece of unique engineering.
You have a great talent and it is obvious that you enjoy your work. I hope that the reel is lucky for you first time out, keep us all informed. ;)

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
Genius, highly entertaining read.
We need to get all of your posts into one uninterrupted thread so thats its easier for everyone to see this amazing project.
Well done that man.