How to make a Fly Reel

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Blue Zulu, are you keeping a tally of how much time you've put into it so far?

It's amazing watching it take shape.

SammySalmon

Reaction score
Well Done

Skill and more, time is irrelevant in a labour of love. I'm feeling terrible that the two reels I started 14 years ago I never completed. Had the bodies & spools chromed in a company in Larkhall and never got round to fitting the spindles, feet and all the other parts. Had the chance a 5 years ago to complete them but I was always to busy. Well done so far BZ.

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for your kind comments and encouragement :)

I suppose I should have taken a more accurate measurement of the time taken so far but I reckon in the region of 50 hours to date. I have spent hundreds of additional hours sourcing tools and materials, mostly on e-bay. I am also hindering myself a bit by not using a milling machine as the setting up to change between milling and turning takes a bit of time.

I am really enjoying the project and looking forward to getting a line on it. I hope that it also gives people an insight into what is involved in making a bench made reel and hopefully encourage a few people to have a go at making their own.

Cheers
Neil

YODA

Reaction score
Amazing.........keep up the great work.............

Spinning reel next ...... invisage I do !!

Out of this world. Yoda

castor

Reaction score
Blue Zulu,

Excellent work. Are you a trained machinist or a keen amateur?

Have you have seen this thread?

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=37643&highlight=making+spey+reel

There are quite a few excellent reel makers out there. I had some Bogden copies made when living in London....they are still going strong! [I have heard somewhere that someone in the Glasgow area is making Bogdan replicas]

Good luck!

Becksbier

Reaction score
Brilliant!

Blue Zulu, I only came across this tonight & to say its brilliant is an understatement. I served my time as a Fitter/Turner in Dounreay & could relate to every step. Only thing is the last time I use a dividing head was back in 1982 (I was still an Apprentice. Honest!). Anyway, I will be following this until the end & can't wait to see the finished goods. Might even invest in a lathe & milling machine for the garage. Ha! Ha!.

SammySalmon

Reaction score
Tooling

BZ if you are looking for tooling for future projects give me a PM and I may have the bits you need. I have some end mills slot drills, drills, reamers,Lathe tools etc. No machines of my own unfortunately.

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind offer SammySalmon :) I will have a think through what gear I will need to finish the reel and let you know if I am stuck for anything. In the meantime I would love to get the contact details for the Platers in Larkhall you mentioned on another thread just in case my home anodising doesn’t go to plan.

Cheers
Neil

luney

Reaction score
A Thing OF Beauty

What a piece of kit BZ, you are a real craftsman as has been said before cant wait to see the finished article. You thought of doing commissions?

ALB luney;)

SammySalmon

Reaction score
Platers

BZ

Verichrome Plating Services
Ind Estate, Larkhall, Lanarkshire ML9 2PG

Central Belt of Scotland, South Lanarkshire
p: 01698886060

Hopefully they are still on the go.

ATB Grahame.

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
Winding Plate

I decided to make the winding plate out of Delrin to match the spool. I was a bit worried that the thin disk of Delrin would not be up to the task so I needed a way of strengthening it. I decided to make a serpentine shaped handle that would provide the strength and then the Delrin would just be a cover plate bearing no load.

Clean up some 4” Alloy and turn a small boss to secure to spindle and part as deep as possible prior to sawing off by hand

Drill and Tap

Saw by hand and face to thickness

Mark out the serpentine shape

Saw roughly to shape

File to shape

Turning and threading the counterweight before parting off and chamfering

Turn, chamfer, drill and counterbore the Delrin for the handle

Turning a flat disk of Delrin on a mandrel

Completed winding plate assembly

I’ve still got lots to do but couldn’t resist a sneak preview

To be continued.......

bullfinch

Reaction score
thing of beauty i totally agree

I'm not very good with words , i would just like to say that i think that your skills are totally amazing and i look forward to seeing the end result . would also love to hear it screaming.:)

fishing sanny

Reaction score
wonderful

abosolultely wonderful sbs
as longchuck has already said
one of the most enjoyable threads i have ever followed on the forum
many thanks for sharing it with us all
To land a salmon on your own tied fly is one thing but to have your own fly and reel and land a fish with it now thats something else
Your a very talented guy Neil, can't wait to see it finished and may it bring you great enjoyment to use
Tightlines FS

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
Check Mechanism

I am starting off with the shoe for the check spring by turning a ring of aluminium and parting off to size

Set up to cut out a groove with a flycutter

Super Glue the ring inside the reel cage and set up to drill hole for rim tension adjuster

Tapping the shoe with a 6BA Tap

A couple of hours work to make this little bit of metal!

Clean up some brass for the rim tension adjuster

Knurl (would have used a fine straight type knurl if I had one)

Turn down to size for thread

Form thread

Part off and dome head

Pawl retaining screw about to be parted off

Set up for slotting heads of screws with a slitting saw. Note the improvised use of an angle bracket to get close the headstock.

Drill, countersink and partially part a piece of silver steel to make the pawl

Mark out prior to sawing and filling to shape

Almost ready for assembly

Completed check mechanism

I still have a fair bit of work left to do but unfortunately I am off back to work for 3 weeks so I will not get anything done until after then.

To be continued…….

CB

Reaction score
Stunning work Blue Zulu!
I won't be able to replicate any of it but it's very interesting to see how it's done, thanks for taking the time to take all the pictures and put them up on the forum! :)

Springer

Reaction score
Great stuff as usual Neil.

Would I be right in assuming the check wont actually work as it stands though?

Unless Im missing something when you turn the brass tensioner screw clockwise it will be locked in the brass screw housing, anti-clockwise it will come out of the reel cage. I also cant see a means of retaining the thread in the reel cage?

I would expect to see some kind of circlip on the inside of the cage to allow the srew to remain in situ while turning and the brass thread housing to be a smooth bored with a shoulder running in it, that way the tension arm will move up and down as the screw is turned and nothing else. Is this work still to be done?

You know me well enough to know Im not nit picking, just curious at what stage your at or what other way you planning to make the check work :)