How to fly fish deep pools?

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
No NEILT I mean the Bridge Pool - Donits is upstream and much shallower.

P1000809(1).JPG

And herewith a fuishie on flee from the hogsback at the top of Bridge from the right bank you can wade in this height. It's much bigger than you think cos the rod is about 2' above the salmo.

P1000815(1).JPG

Last edited:

neilt

Reaction score

View attachment 52825

And herewith a fuishie on flee from the hogsback at the top of Bridge from the right bank you can wade in this height. It's much bigger than you think cos the rod is about 2' above the salmo.

View attachment 52826
Nigel - You’re on Ballathie/Cargill in that picture. Horseback by the cradle.
They are very deep pools, in low water the fish drop out of Islamouth (beat above the old railway bridge in your pic) and into these holding pools. From the Potshot down to the Maggot is very deep - big fish water.

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
Nigel - You’re on Ballathie/Cargill in that picture. Horseback by the cradle.
They are very deep pools, in low water the fish drop out of Islamouth (beat above the old railway bridge in your pic) and into these holding pools. From the Potshot down to the Maggot is very deep - big fish water.

Er no. I can one hundred percent assure you I am on Islamouth on that picture. The view down to the bridge would have the Islamouth hut on the lefthandside but my lens wasn't wide enough to show this. I've only fished Islamouth on about 10 occassions so don't claim to be an expert. i've fished Cargill/Ballathie about 30 times and know for certain I've always been downstream of the Bridge.

Regards

NHP

Andrew B

Reaction score
Sadly Andrew i never met the Malcolm Edwards from Aberystwyth.
Ah ok me neither. It’s funny as an English man If I could have a pound for every time I’ve heard “ don’t expect those Welsh locals to help you” and even worse I might add from a Welsh guy from Wrexham who had nothing good to say about North or south Welsh people which has always got under my skin.
Was lucky to stand next to a gent called Dai Lewis, who’s father Dai Lewis literally taught Moc Morgan to fish?

I’m gonna have to mention this on the thread where I posted about a land owner of the Dwyfor at Llanstumdy called Jan Morris and lo and behold if he/ she’s not on the BBC today reporting her death.

Tim1984

Reaction score
T Tips arghhhhhh please can someone help? I currently have a JN 600 grain NI head and use sink tip kit from a Rio skagit kit and need a kit that covers most scenarios Is there one or do you buy each individual line at £30 a pop?
thanks for all the great reply’s by the way ?

Greegs

Reaction score
T Tips arghhhhhh please can someone help? I currently have a JN 600 grain NI head and use sink tip kit from a Rio skagit kit and need a kit that covers most scenarios Is there one or do you buy each individual line at £30 a pop?
thanks for all the great reply’s by the way

Look at the Rio mow tips.
I’ve got them in medium & heavy.

Picked them up from eBay for a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilt

Reaction score
Joking aside, I’ve had success with flies on a running ledger before now. Normal worming type set up but with a buoyant fly. Very useful in deep water and tree lined rivers
Was so successful on the Lower Tay club water - it got banned.
Was bad for foul hooking though.
On T tips - google T tip or look on eBay, you can buy long level pieces cheap and make your own.
The heavier skagits turn 20ft fine.

Last edited:

phil.b

Reaction score

View attachment 52825

View attachment 52826

That’s the ash tree pool , bottom pool on islamouth,

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
That’s the ash tree pool , bottom pool on islamouth,

Depends on which bank you are on. I'm currently looking at the Islablair beat map. The Ash tree is above the Bridge Pool on the left bank. On the other side of the Bridge it is the Bridge Stream. That's always the problem with the Lower Silvery Tay big lumps of water are sub-divided into pools or casts when they are in fact just one big pool e.g Islamouth, Upper Cargill, Lower Cargill, Burnmouth, Catholes, Pitlochry Pool, Benchill, Scone Lower, Redgorten, Almondmouth (to be fair a pool and a tail of the pool above) etc.

keirross

Reaction score
How deep Tay's Linn Pool goes in a decent peak flood peering off the north side is some stuff. Is it about 65'? As per deepest, maybe Findhorn gorge? A killer deep experience was a 4' Farrar's Culligran wi boulders hoose size nuff said...

phil.b

Reaction score
Depends on which bank you are on. I'm currently looking at the Islablair beat map. The Ash tree is above the Bridge Pool on the left bank. On the other side of the Bridge it is the Bridge Stream. That's always the problem with the Lower Silvery Tay big lumps of water are sub-divided into pools or casts when they are in fact just one big pool e.g Islamouth, Upper Cargill, Lower Cargill, Burnmouth, Catholes, Pitlochry Pool, Benchill, Scone Lower, Redgorten, Almondmouth (to be fair a pool and a tail of the pool above) etc.

If you look to the left of you , you are opposite an Ash tree , so your in the Ash tree pool

Last edited:

phil.b

Reaction score
You live local, have worked on several lower river beats as well as having fished Islamouth more than the odd day?

Aye I have ,and to say the beats Nigel mentioned are just one big pool I
Would definitely disagree with that , you missed out Stobhall/ Taymount btw they are anything but they have great character and plenty of necks and tails of pools

Last edited:

marty31

Reaction score
Aye I have ,and to say the beats Nigel mentioned are just one big pool I
Would definitely disagree with that , you missed out Stobhall/ Taymount btw they are anything but they have great character and plenty of necks and tails of pools

Theres no such thing as "one big pool" they all have their own individual character and never two the same