How to Carry Scandinavian Patterns

Geordieboy

Reaction score
20210407_165151.jpg

Hi everyone. So, I've tied about 40 scandinavian style flies and put them in Frodins wallet. Thing is, when you take them out, they are all crushed and flattened and the lovely drop form you spent ages perfecting has been squashed.
How do we all carry our scandi flies?
Cheers

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
I've come full circle with mine after trying virtually everything. Jumbo straws are probably the best but just too fiddly for me. I'm back on the Frodin wallet now, the flies do look a bit flat when they come out but they soon fluff up in the water. Main thing is they don't rattle about and get damaged in there.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Umpqua tackle sellers offer these 5" X 3" 5 compartment boxes. Fresh flies look as if not many will fit but I can stuff about 8 in each compartment. I don't fret about folding the hair because they come perfect once in the water. Smallest I have is a 3 X 4 box that I use as the king salmon fly holder. I get by with just one of those boxes a spool of tippet and a pack of hooks so I fish light.

30 years ago I carried everything except a jack and spare tire.

Mattytree

Reaction score
The Umpqua tackle sellers offer these 5" X 3" 5 compartment boxes. Fresh flies look as if not many will fit but I can stuff about 8 in each compartment. I don't fret about folding the hair because they come perfect once in the water. Smallest I have is a 3 X 4 box that I use as the king salmon fly holder. I get by with just one of those boxes a spool of tippet and a pack of hooks so I fish light.

30 years ago I carried everything except a jack and spare tire.
Using these too at the minute , yes you can carry a lot more Flys in the Frodin wallet but they get crushed and damaged I’d rather have 10 boxes of these and take the boxes for the river conditions when needed.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Fantastic. Where do I get these Jumbo Steaws from?
Thanks for that

I've found 9mm bore size, are these the ones?
I ordered on ebay without the size given. They are about 11mm slightly bigger than I would have liked. The 9mm would be perfect. The end needs to be pinched flat and lightly flamed and held while cooling. The flattened end pinches the fly head and prevents it slipping out. Tube boxes well packed are good say for nayat or marble fox wings but will destroy the tips of monkey wings in my experience.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Double the price you would expect without a doubt, I won't be buying mugs, T Shirts or signed books from the site anytime soon. The small fly wallet however at €12.70 has five compartments each holding 20 large salmon flies compactly is no more expensive than other options. The fly tying material storage packs are fairly expensive if you consider how little manufacturing is involved, however for me they are a better option than more cumbersome drawer sets that take up so much more room. The man knows how to capitalise on a good idea.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Snowbee do a wallet that works as well as the Frodin one and is a lot cheaper.
Was just looking on their website and they have a saltwater fly wallet case for £18 or so with spare inserts available. They don't say how much the spare inserts are but if they are robust enough for stand alone use, they could be a cheaper option.

Scierra

Reaction score
If you tie your own flies ,or spend a fortune on Frodin flies I certainly would not store them in a Frodin plastic wallet? they will get flattened,
Leather wallets went out with the Ark in the 1970's, Plastic wallets now. as if there ain't enough floating around
I hook up all my tubes in an etha foam ,fly box , see pic below
I take care of all my flies , you have to manage them , not just hoike them in a box and get tangled up and out of shape

box 5.jpeg

Last edited:

Handel

Reaction score
Was just looking on their website and they have a saltwater fly wallet case for £18 or so with spare inserts available. They don't say how much the spare inserts are but if they are robust enough for stand alone use, they could be a cheaper option.
I can't keep up with these companies. I bought two last year which were not described as for saltwater, wouldn't take spare inserts, but I reckon the two wallets cost £18 together.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Using these too at the minute , yes you can carry a lot more Flys in the Frodin wallet but they get crushed and damaged I’d rather have 10 boxes of these and take the boxes for the river conditions when needed.

Hi Matty,

I got over the crushed fly thing when I went to these hair wing tubes. Prior to the tubes I tied on hooks and used 5 Wheatley clip boxes, the old thin models but they still amounted to a load if you carried a few. The little Umpqua boxes will get me through whatever comes throughout the season. After all the years of fishing for these kings I arrived at the conclusion that I need only 2 distinct color flies. That makes it quite simple to have what I need.

Generally they grab the regular year after year and if I were to change to something different I'd be left to wonder that had I made the cast with the regular fly would the fish have taken it as well .............. I'm a stubborn sort, when there are fish in the river I reflect on the fact that I've caught on the same thing for many years and so I tie it on. Often the fly I tie on will be the same fly I caught the last fish on last year and generally it will catch the first this year. That would explain why you don't see me posting new flies tied throughout the winter ;) During last years fishing I did not lose a single fly. I did have a couple that were shredded and one that the plastic tube was broken, both those conditions were caused by the fish grabbing onto the same fly day after day. Once one of the flies gets broken or torn apart too badly I do change but sometimes I stay the course until they lose interest. I'm holding onto all the flies I tied for fishing in your country in hopes that next year travel will be back to normal :)

ballintemple

Reaction score
I use the Snowbee wallet for large patterns & I find it very useful. I used boxes before but the wallet is more compact & carries more. Mind you, the flies are mostly my own tyings & so probably look better after being roughed up.I found the pictured smaller wallet, roughly 6"x4" in GAC and its better for smaller patterns. They were on offer and very cheap.

3138EEC1-3C2E-455D-B370-53614F8BBFBE.jpegFD16023B-CC8A-40CA-AA11-E52E3A7FB03A.jpeg

Mattytree

Reaction score
Hi Matty,

I got over the crushed fly thing when I went to these hair wing tubes. Prior to the tubes I tied on hooks and used 5 Wheatley clip boxes, the old thin models but they still amounted to a load if you carried a few. The little Umpqua boxes will get me through whatever comes throughout the season. After all the years of fishing for these kings I arrived at the conclusion that I need only 2 distinct color flies. That makes it quite simple to have what I need.

Generally they grab the regular year after year and if I were to change to something different I'd be left to wonder that had I made the cast with the regular fly would the fish have taken it as well .............. I'm a stubborn sort, when there are fish in the river I reflect on the fact that I've caught on the same thing for many years and so I tie it on. Often the fly I tie on will be the same fly I caught the last fish on last year and generally it will catch the first this year. That would explain why you don't see me posting new flies tied throughout the winter ;) During last years fishing I did not lose a single fly. I did have a couple that were shredded and one that the plastic tube was broken, both those conditions were caused by the fish grabbing onto the same fly day after day. Once one of the flies gets broken or torn apart too badly I do change but sometimes I stay the course until they lose interest. I'm holding onto all the flies I tied for fishing in your country in hopes that next year travel will be back to normal :)
I tend to loose too many in trees over deep holes in the opposite bank , usually my favourite ones!

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I use the Snowbee wallet for large patterns & I find it very useful. I used boxes before but the wallet is more compact & carries more. Mind you, the flies are mostly my own tyings & so probably look better after being roughed up.I found the pictured smaller wallet, roughly 6"x4" in GAC and its better for smaller patterns. They were on offer and very cheap.

View attachment 59682View attachment 59683
They now do a Saltwater/Pike fly wallet. It actually looks like itll do the business, with some jumbo straws in it

Tonyc

Reaction score
I ordered on ebay without the size given. They are about 11mm slightly bigger than I would have liked. The 9mm would be perfect. The end needs to be pinched flat and lightly flamed and held while cooling. The flattened end pinches the fly head and prevents it slipping out. Tube boxes well packed are good say for nayat or marble fox wings but will destroy the tips of monkey wings in my experience.
I used the heat seal element of my vacuum sealer for about 4 seconds, did 4 straws at a time. I got either 3 tubes per straw to take normal tubes and cut the straw in half for S. Shadows and other streamers.

I ordered 20 of the 8" x 9mm straws for less than £4 and got 10 long holders and 45 shorter ones. Item number 313324680189 on thebay