How far up the River Tweed can salmon reach?

Marterius

Reaction score
I have spent a good part of the afternoon trying to find out how far up the Tweed salmon can swim, but no such luck. Can someone here please help me out? Approximately, how far up the River Tweed can salmon travel until they reach a final obstacle? I understand there are tributaries, but let's say in the part still named "River Tweed".

I ask because I should like to make a comparison with the River Lagan here in Sweden, which is long since ruined by hydroelectric dams but which is about the same size as the Tweed and where tons of salmon were caught in the 19th century.

Kind regards,
Martin

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I've got footage of spawning salmon on the tweed and you could virtually step over it 👍

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
There are no obstacles preventing salmon moving up into the upper reaches of the Tweed. Given suitable water flows, they spawn right up to the very top of the river. As Lamson says, right up to where it is so narrow you could step over it in places.
So effectively, you could say that salmon can travel the full 97miles or 156km of the river. However, the final mile or two might be too narrow to attract them to travel that far.

Last edited:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The distances that salmon run in some other English rivers far exceed the Tweed.

River Severn >200 miles
Swale 160 miles
Ure 137 miles

Distance isn’t much of a challenge for salmon: it’s weight of flow, gradient and obstacles that make the difference. Compared to some of the big Canadian east coast rivers the British rivers are pretty trivial. The Norwegian rivers are tough but mostly quite short.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Indeed so at the end of their journey, apart from those that turn right along the way.
Fish going up the Wye or the Severn could end up spawning just a few miles apart.
Not that far from Teifi fish either.
A wet part of the world the Cambrian Mountains.

Will I am

Reaction score
I have spent a good part of the afternoon trying to find out how far up the Tweed salmon can swim, but no such luck. Can someone here please help me out? Approximately, how far up the River Tweed can salmon travel until they reach a final obstacle? I understand there are tributaries, but let's say in the part still named "River Tweed".

I ask because I should like to make a comparison with the River Lagan here in Sweden, which is long since ruined by hydroelectric dams but which is about the same size as the Tweed and where tons of salmon were caught in the 19th century.

Kind regards,
Martin
Fish spawn from top to bottom on river tweed since they took high water netting station off from 1987 they don't move when water is 14 feet get washed down back to see then come back up they are hardy creatures

Marterius

Reaction score
Thank you very much everyone! I am so sorry I forgot about my question and left you without a reply. I really appreciate the answers, this is great to know and indeed helpful.

Regards,
Martin

meyre

Reaction score
Interesting question re Scotland's 2nd largest river.... doubtless those salmon that were bred up by Moffat will go there. Yet in the late C19th no one bothered fishing much above Peebles, the top 25 miles being thought of as trout water and such few salmon encountered were of 'no account for the table, serious angling - that is, angling which it would be worth to rent at a good round sum - can hardly be said to commence before Ashiestiel Bridge is reached, some twelve miles below Peebles. Augustus Grimble 'Salmon Rivers of Scotland 1899' .