How do you treat your tackle on the bank?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Having joined a club with fishing on a stocked moorland lake it occurred to me that I’m really tough on my gear.
I’ve seen pics of members with their thousand pound hardy outfits and yet I can’t see how they could keep em looking new as the place is muddy, Rocky and lots of grit to get in reels.
I dunno maybe it’s me as I always went through trainers in no time, whilst others kept em like new.

There’s a great video on YouTube of a man and wife team who test Orvis rods in New Zealand and he’s got a big fish stuck in a snag. The guy just wades in and sinks his rod onto the bottom of the river, bent to the max and scraping away for fun. His point was these rods can take it but maybe it’s a different story when one doesn’t have to fork out for an Orvis Helios lol.

Anyone else that’s hard on their gear?

Hoddom

Reaction score
I use cheap kit where I know they will get hammered and save nice kit for genteel beats😀
Shakey rods and reels for the muddy slippery stuff and rough and tumble yomping across peat hag to far flung lakes. The sages and Hardy stuff on banks with sure footing
if using a boat I put the reels in a neoprene pouch when travelling up and down river. Stops them getting bounced about and damaged.
always dry kit out afterwards- strip the line and backing off the reel too to dry if I’m not going to use it for several days

Rrrr

Reaction score
Reels have gravel rash and the rod handles look scruffy due to my job and the muck that leaches out of my mitts when fishing all day.
Lines get washed by the river and my flee boxes are a mess

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
I’d like to get a nice reel, a piece of bling for the salmon outfit, trouble is give a few months and it’ll be scraped to bits lol

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Reels have gravel rash and the rod handles look scruffy due to my job and the muck that leaches out of my mitts when fishing all day.
Lines get washed by the river and my flee boxes are a mess

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
You need a rod with a full burnt handle. That way you won't see the oil from your hands mate.

Petekd

Reaction score
Double hander gets put together in February and aside from the 3-4 trips a week to the river lives halved in two, line threaded in a state of perpetual readiness in the passenger footwell in the car till October. It’s a tool, it gets treated as such and gets a good clean and a rest at the end of the season.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Trout: Generally badly, I broke my favourite 7’6” greys clean in half, while trying to hack a bush with a pruning saw. Snapped another rod getting out of the water and my crappy Snowbee reel is a disgrace.

Salmon: Ok really, apart from the 16th birthday present Magnum 240, that I left on the car roof and the old Youngs reel that has had a few trips like Homer Simpson skateboarding the canyon. I always leave the fly boxes open after a trip, there’s nothing worse than opening a box of rusty hooks.

HARDYBOY

Reaction score
I like to use nice gear for my trout fishing & have a couple of Hardy rods & reels that are still in great condition after many years of use. I always try to buy when tackle is reduced or on offer & look after it.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I try not to submerge stuff or drop it in mud but I buy to use and so reels have gravel rash, lines get cleaned and treated ant the start of the season then reel and all my odds and sods live in the car until the end. if hacking around overgrown streams I guy cheap rods that if they break don't make me cry! Fly boxes get left in the sunroom to dry if they haven't dried when left open on the way home.

In essence I care for my stuff enough to keep it working but its a tool to be used.

firefly

Reaction score
Never used a wading stick. :whistle:

P9120183.JPG

Rennie

Reaction score
I like nice kit, I work hard, I pay for it, it has to earn it's keep.I do look after my gear to a reasonable high std., things that don't perform as a rule tend not to get bought!.I don't abuse my stuff, but it should be more than capable of doing what it says on the tin!. My gear rewards me and I reward it!.
Pedro.

firefly

Reaction score
Jeez!, no wonder you contributed to the taking a "dook" thread!, lol.
Pedro.
You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, Pedro. In this case, I fished the whole stretch before I went for the fish passing behind the island. And I know the place, of course.

This gives you an idea of the beat and the scale.
P9120180.JPG

Great while you can, as Father Time creeps up you may have to change your mind, I have after a couple of unwanted swims😪
I'm not far from sixty in that picture. But I had quite a few swims too in my fishing days, I love water.

Last edited:

AlanT

Reaction score
I look after all my gear really well. I've never broken a rod in 40+ yrs of fishing. If I'm standing blethering I don't even place the butt of my rods on the ground, I rest them on the top of my boot!
I bought a very cheap Flextec rod and airflo reel for sea trout fishing on my local spate River in case it gets hashed. I've fell down bankings, caught ot on trees etc etc and everything is still in A1 condition

The downside I never really have an excuse to upgrade my gear as the old stuff is fine.

My trout rods are still sage LLs and RPLs from the late 80s early 90s. I doubt I'll ever need to buy another rod.

Nath

Reaction score
I have a collection of really nice rods, but mainly reels, some I use, some I don’t. I tend to really look after my gear and try my upmost to not get them scratched or marked. In the last few years I have tried to stop myself from putting reels down on gravel or mud to get a photo with a fish etc to prevent this