How do you like your Bann Specials?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. I've never fished the black or dark claret version as it has never been an option in the shops. Another advantage of self tying 😄. I've heard the black tail can fish well on peat stained spate rivers
When you consider the number of flies with black wings or black hackle in them I think the silhouette plays a big part. Same as trout fishing in mucky/coloured water.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Brilliant woodsy mate, I know every time I fished the special and took a fish on it,and I used that flea 5 days out of 6 on the tail fly,it had the orange on the shank and had the jungle cock,so I’m not a fly tier woodsy so I guess that’s how the guy ( Bert Atkinson) made them,a real nice man and boy could he fish.He owned the local tackle shop in Garvagh,just south of coleraine in N Ireland,and it was a Brilliant fly on the Agivey river. He also invented the Apache fly. So every time I would use it too,I go for the original Bann with jungle cock,it’s a fly I’ve caught salmon on, in 3 different countries,I think because it just works brilliant. Brilliant thread again woodsy mate.👍... jimmythefish.cart

Woodsy

Reaction score
Brilliant woodsy mate, I know every time I fished the special and took a fish on it,and I used that flea 5 days out of 6 on the tail fly,it had the orange on the shank and had the jungle cock,so I’m not a fly tier woodsy so I guess that’s how the guy ( Bert Atkinson) made them,a real nice man and boy could he fish.He owned the local tackle shop in Garvagh,just south of coleraine in N Ireland,and it was a Brilliant fly on the Agivey river. He also invented the Apache fly. So every time I would use it too,I go for the original Bann with jungle cock,it’s a fly I’ve caught salmon on, in 3 different countries,I think because it just works brilliant. Brilliant thread again woodsy mate.👍... jimmythefish.cart
Thanks Jimmy, I would hazard a guess to say it is likely the most fished Irish shrimp over here and the original is definitely my favourite 🎣

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Absolutely woodsy,the bann special is literally everywhere all over Ireland,back in the day,I’d walk along the river bank and see the guys heading home with there salmon,big Blue gill tags had to be put on the fish then,they might even still do so , and before I’d asked them what fly they used,they’d say” lifted thon boy on the special “, back then my highlight of my fishing career was when I was asked to be a judge in the 2002 Home international between,IRELAND,ENGLAND,SCOTLAND AND WALES. On the morning of The competition you wanted to see the bann’s flying out of the tackle boxes, NOT JUST IRELAND,the whole FOUR of em lol 😆. I’d say as a quick guess I’ve about 15 I could put my hand on right now in my fly box,and every one ,sent over for me and tied In Ireland. It’s unbelievable how many fellas I know here in Scotland send to Ireland for there fly’s. I myself get my fly’s tied for me by a chap in Bishop Auckland as well in England,and also buy a load of Scotland fly’s too+ Tam ties his own fly’s and gives me some,I’ve noticed this too just of last year( SO REMEMBER THIS LADS) just how many of the boys were lifting fish on YELLOW FLYS. I Took a 6 lb grilse on a plain yellow fly size 10 with a gold body on a silver hook,and this grilse suddenly attacks it, As the water was really clear I could see this boy zoom through the water for it,just gulped it straight down,then when he felt the resistance all hell broke loose,I told the boys on the river and shows them the fly,after that it was catching plenty,so I’ll be giving that a go again this July,what not give it a go lads...... jimmy ...

Woodsy

Reaction score
Absolutely woodsy,the bann special is literally everywhere all over Ireland,back in the day,I’d walk along the river bank and see the guys heading home with there salmon,big Blue gill tags had to be put on the fish then,they might even still do so , and before I’d asked them what fly they used,they’d say” lifted thon boy on the special “, back then my highlight of my fishing career was when I was asked to be a judge in the 2002 Home international between,IRELAND,ENGLAND,SCOTLAND AND WALES. On the morning of The competition you wanted to see the bann’s flying out of the tackle boxes, NOT JUST IRELAND,the whole FOUR of em lol 😆. I’d say as a quick guess I’ve about 15 I could put my hand on right now in my fly box,and every one ,sent over for me and tied In Ireland. It’s unbelievable how many fellas I know here in Scotland send to Ireland for there fly’s. I myself get my fly’s tied for me by a chap in Bishop Auckland as well in England,and also buy a load of Scotland fly’s too+ Tam ties his own fly’s and gives me some,I’ve noticed this too just of last year( SO REMEMBER THIS LADS) just how many of the boys were lifting fish on YELLOW FLYS. I Took a 6 lb grilse on a plain yellow fly size 10 with a gold body on a silver hook,and this grilse suddenly attacks it, As the water was really clear I could see this boy zoom through the water for it,just gulped it straight down,then when he felt the resistance all hell broke loose,I told the boys on the river and shows them the fly,after that it was catching plenty,so I’ll be giving that a go again this July,what not give it a go lads...... jimmy ...
The yellow shrimp is another popular fly here, though I haven't had any success myself on it...yet! Its the same as the Bann Special just a yellow hackle instead of the hot orange.

Yellow shrimps from a few months back
1615552928523.png

Woodsy

Reaction score
Another couple of scruffy dark claret tailed bann specials with black tipped badger on size 14s. Keeping it nice and streamline with no JC or fur.

Have time tomorrow to tie another couple and that should be the bann specials for the season sorted 🤞
IMG_20210313_190353397.jpg

Woodsy

Reaction score
Ended up with quite severe pain in my wrist (possible gout 😞) on monday so wasn't able to do much for a few days. Finally completed the set with varnishing a few dark tailed size 12s I tied on Sunday. Here is the completed set, can't wait to loose them in a tree 😆
20210320_082626.jpg

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Magnificent set of fly’s mucker,simply brilliant, I always seem to get em on the BS that had the jungle cock for some apparent reason mate,my buddy over in coleraine was wonderful at tying them woodsy and would put the JC on em to look like eyes,his name was Alan Mcafferty,and boy could Alan tie fly’s,he also took time to learn me on the riverbank one early morning,how to add a dropper line to the cast,he showed me to cut two foot of line,just lay it on top,of the cast ,make a loop and put it through the loop 4 times, pull tight,and cut the bottom dropper off,to leave the one that bends outwards on. Now I can add a dropper to a line If needed in seconds. Seen that guy take loads of salmon on the flying C,but mainly on his own tied fly’s. The Irish lads have magnificent skill sets when it comes to salmon fishing,and I fish like the Irish boys do here in Scotland. Tam fishes the traditional Scottish way,and at the end of the day,Honestly! ! !. We end up with the SAME amount of fish,just a slightly different method,but yeah mate,it’s got to be one of the first 2 fly’s I put on at the start of the season 👍

Woodsy

Reaction score
Magnificent set of fly’s mucker,simply brilliant, I always seem to get em on the BS that had the jungle cock for some apparent reason mate,my buddy over in coleraine was wonderful at tying them woodsy and would put the JC on em to look like eyes,his name was Alan Mcafferty,and boy could Alan tie fly’s,he also took time to learn me on the riverbank one early morning,how to add a dropper line to the cast,he showed me to cut two foot of line,just lay it on top,of the cast ,make a loop and put it through the loop 4 times, pull tight,and cut the bottom dropper off,to leave the one that bends outwards on. Now I can add a dropper to a line If needed in seconds. Seen that guy take loads of salmon on the flying C,but mainly on his own tied fly’s. The Irish lads have magnificent skill sets when it comes to salmon fishing,and I fish like the Irish boys do here in Scotland. Tam fishes the traditional Scottish way,and at the end of the day,Honestly! ! !. We end up with the SAME amount of fish,just a slightly different method,but yeah mate,it’s got to be one of the first 2 fly’s I put on at the start of the season 👍
Thanks Jimmy, one of my favourites also and I make the dropper with the same knot