How do you like your Bann Specials?

Woodsy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

A few weeks back I done a wee week of Wilkinsons in all kinds of variations. So I've decided to tie a mix of Bann specials over the next week or two.

So how do you like yours? Tail colour? JC? Seals fur, flash, head colour, hook type or colour etc.

I'll start with a couple done last night and heads finished today.

Tied on gold size 12 patriots. Tied with hot orange dyed GP rump and two strands of flash.

P.s I won't be able to bring myself to tying one on a tube
20210308_200511.jpg

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
Hi folks,

A few weeks back I done a wee week of Wilkinsons in all kinds of variations. So I've decided to tie a mix of Bann specials over the next week or two.

So how do you like yours? Tail colour? JC? Seals fur, flash, head colour, hook type or colour etc.

I'll start with a couple done last night and heads finished today.

Tied on gold size 12 patriots. Tied with hot orange dyed GP rump and two strands of flash.

P.s I won't be able to bring myself to tying one on a tube View attachment 58279
top drawer

Woodsy

Reaction score
Another couple with dyed tails. This was meant to be two dark claret tailed shrimps but I mixed up the prepared feathers and ended up with one dark claret and one black tail 😆 one with JC in front of the hackle and the other with none. A change in the head colour too 🎣
20210309_215839.jpg

Woodsy

Reaction score
I've never tied a globrite head on a proper Irish shrimp but did for a long tail wilky a few weeks back. Really set it off I have to admit 😄

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I've never tied a globrite head on a proper Irish shrimp but did for a long tail wilky a few weeks back. Really set it off I have to admit 😄

I tend to use 8/0 thread in fire orange or Flo red more than Globrite when I can. It's very easy to over cook the Globrite and end up with a head the size of Jupiter..

I went through a phase of using hot heads and bodies rather than jungle Cock as a trigger point. Now I'm rarely tying a fly without JC, Flo colours or not.

Always use well brushed out seals fur where I can for the body though. Just looks better than floss to me.. fish likely don't care

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I think the only fly I use Glo Brite, or fire orange, on is a Calvin's. Its the only one I think doesn't look right without it. For everything else it's red or black for me.

I do like seals fur on a Bann Special with broader tinsel than I'd use on floss bodies but that's just my personal preference.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I tend to use 8/0 thread in fire orange or Flo red more than Globrite when I can. It's very easy to over cook the Globrite and end up with a head the size of Jupiter..

I went through a phase of using hot heads and bodies rather than jungle Cock as a trigger point. Now I'm rarely tying a fly without JC, Flo colours or not.

Always use well brushed out seals fur where I can for the body though. Just looks better than floss to me.. fish likely don't care
I know what you mean with the floss heads, I used fire orange UTC for a few Calvins last year without build up.

The first two were the first time I've used seals fur in a while and I bloody hate dubbing it on 😆 used Frankie McPhillips sub for TOTM last month and it goes on a lot better

Woodsy

Reaction score
I think the only fly I use Glo Brite, or fire orange, on is a Calvin's. Its the only one I think doesn't look right without it. For everything else it's red or black for me.

I do like seals fur on a Bann Special with broader tinsel than I'd use on floss bodies but that's just my personal preference.
You may have noticed, I actually used wire on the floss bodies. I find it a lot easier to tie, cheaper, and less likely to slip

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Yeah it can slip. Which is why a touch of wax on the thread can help it grip a bit easier.. you soon get used to it and i regularly forger the wax these days.

Frankies dubbing is very good. I'd use it regular... 2 others worth looking at are Loop range and Bann Valley Flies... both synthetics as well and very easy to use.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Very nice! I find the small oval tinsel can easily disappear in the seals fur

Aye that is a problem. Small oval or wire for floss and broader tinsel for seals fur. The broader tinsel and seals fur around it looks well in the water too. Hopefully the fish think the same way. Lol.

gwelsher

Reaction score
I would fish all of those you two lads (y) (y)
I'm not a great lover of GloBrite heads on muted traditional style flies. A black or well varnished red thread head has a nice muted presence IMHO

Woodsy

Reaction score
What about this for a head then? 😂

Size 10 B175s and 3mm brass bead to get it down a little to make up for weight and C+R regs on the Finn

Another new tail colour, claret this time.

Tied with a different front hackle too, an Indian badger with black tips.

No JC...I discovered last night the original was JC free 😮
IMG_20210310_230620298~2.jpg

Woodsy

Reaction score
Another few from last night and heads finished today

Extremely unconventional...

The rear has a smidge of lite brite as they are intended for peaty water.

First time tying on Sakuma mini mantras hooks. Absolutely fantastic, very strong and very very sharp!
20210311_230727.jpg

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Another couple with dyed tails. This was meant to be two dark claret tailed shrimps but I mixed up the prepared feathers and ended up with one dark claret and one black tail 😆 one with JC in front of the hackle and the other with none. A change in the head colour too 🎣View attachment 58316

That was a good mix up with the feathers. I actually prefer the extra presence the black tail gives. It also provides a nice balance against the black of the badger hackle.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
What about this for a head then? 😂

Size 10 B175s and 3mm brass bead to get it down a little to make up for weight and C+R regs on the Finn

Another new tail colour, claret this time.

Tied with a different front hackle too, an Indian badger with black tips.

No JC...I discovered last night the original was JC free 😮
View attachment 58361
That long, sparse hackle is absolutely perfect for those. I really like that variation.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Another few from last night and heads finished today

Extremely unconventional...

The rear has a smidge of lite brite as they are intended for peaty water.

First time tying on Sakuma mini mantras hooks. Absolutely fantastic, very strong and very very sharp!
View attachment 58406

Lite brite is great used like that. I did the same for a load of Usk Grubs I tied for someone a few weeks back. I like the hint of a sparkle it brings. You don’t really see it in the flies that are in focus but it just shows a few flashes in the one at the back. Quite subtle but definitely there.

A485E03B-9AD9-4DF1-B5A5-25060B16F291.jpeg

Last edited:

Woodsy

Reaction score
Light bright is great used like that. I did the same for a load of Usk Grubs I tied for someone a few weeks back. I like the hint of a sparkle it brings. You don’t really see it in the flies that are in focus but it just shows a few flashes it the one at the back. Quite subtle but definitely there.

View attachment 58407
Lovely flies there Ian! I find it also helps dub it in with a little with synthetics

Woodsy

Reaction score
That was a good mix up with the feathers. I actually prefer the extra presence the black tail gives. It also provides a nice balance against the black of the badger hackle.
Thanks Ian. I've never fished the black or dark claret version as it has never been an option in the shops. Another advantage of self tying 😄. I've heard the black tail can fish well on peat stained spate rivers