How about this, Mods?

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
Would it be appropriate to suggest a section on this forum where members could recommend accommodation? Fishing the Dee near Drumoak last week, I stayed in a very comfortable, roomy, dog-friendly B & B last week called "Belskavie Croft" just about a mile east of Drum Castle, on the north side of the road. Super breakfast, a gentle, kindly landlady. £50. I'll be back.

We dined in "Mama Mia" in Banchory, about 30 yards from the Orvis shop towards the traffic lights. Excellent value for money.

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If there were expressed a substantial amount of interest in a sub forum focused on "Lodging and food for the Fisherman" I wouldn't know why there could not be a sub forum created.

I would think it would be good inserted into the Lounge threads, what say you?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Sounds a good idea as quite often people ask for places to stay when fishing certain beats.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was just having a look about the Lounge forum, would a sticky at the top of that forum be satisfactory?

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK then, I'll run this up the food chain and see if you can't get a separate sub forum rather than a Sticky. I can see the value in this for all of you traveling around the UK. to fish different rivers.

Of course if this gets done we'll want to keep it positive by posting about the good experiences and not as a complaints forum...………..

The things I say, you'd think I'd been around forums for years wouldn't you?

AlanT

Reaction score
I tried to start a similar thread a few years ago on pub grub recommendations. It got messy to navigate, who wants to read through dozens of pages to try and find something in the particular areayour visiting (only to find theres nothing there)

https://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/the-lounge/133114-great-pub-grub-recommendations.html?highlight=Peacock

Its still a good idea, my only suggestion is to put the area, nearest town etc in the title of each post made in the thread. Ie Invermarnoch, the title of your post could be 'Banchory'. Makes it easier to search if your looking at a particular area

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried to start a similar thread a few years ago on pub grub recommendations. It got messy to navigate, who wants to read through dozens of pages to try and find something in the particular areayour visiting (only to find theres nothing there)

https://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/the-lounge/133114-great-pub-grub-recommendations.html?highlight=Peacock

Its still a good idea, my only suggestion is to put the area, nearest town etc in the title of each post made in the thread. Ie Invermarnoch, the title of your post could be 'Banchory'. Makes it easier to search if your looking at a particular area
If we had this as a sub forum then each persons entry would be a separate topic. Once I considered the top down stack nature of a sticky thread I could see that would be a mess.

It would probably be handy to have a single 'sticky' at the top of such a forum like Posting Guidelines to try getting people to make proper titles to their threads as you have mentioned.

Another thing I can do Allen is to go to your old post and migrate it to this new list when formed. I have sent my suggestion that this sub forum be formed to other administrators so we have consensus rather than me making a unilateral move and creating the forum.

I like the idea.

gwelsher

Reaction score
Why not start a thread in each River thread and make it a sticky that way you could find recommendations relevant to the area?

ibm59

Reaction score
Why not a Cooking , Food , and Drink section as on FlyForums too ?

noeyedeer

Reaction score

A readily searchable resource is a good idea & not easily achieved on the forum format we have.

Maybe (like eg Fishpal) it could be titled by river system then beat or nearest town (given we are Salmon fishing) E.g. Tay/Perth or Tay/Dalguise etc

You can also search within the site via google of course as follows: "accommodation site:https://www.salmonfishingforum.com"

happy days

Reaction score
Whats wrong with tripadvisor etc ?

I can imagine some of the grumpys on here slagging places off, go straight to the likes of above and read the reviews.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like it or not you now have a place to post, hopefully everyone will approve.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not start a thread in each River thread and make it a sticky that way you could find recommendations relevant to the area?
Now that would take some work Gary, let's see how a sub forum gets along before I circumvent it with a hoard of sticky threads OK?

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Whats wrong with tripadvisor etc ?

I can imagine some of the grumpys on here slagging places off, go straight to the likes of above and read the reviews.
I guess if you’re looking for angler friendly (tolerant !) accom that recognises the need for a drying room, early breakfast and flask with packed lunch, trip advisor can be a bit generalistic. I would see this initiative as more of an angler specific enhancement to the available review resources.

So river or even beat specific recommendations can be handy. For those keen to point out a negative experience , including a link to tripadvisor with the thread will either root out or back up any substance to such claims.

Last edited:

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Suggestion: Would this not find a better home in eg "Favourite Rivers & Beats". Seems a bit lost in Rookies Corner, wouldn't have thought of looking in there for accom for example. :redface:

NEbody

Reaction score
I guess if you’re looking for angler friendly (tolerant !) accom that recognises the need for a drying room, early breakfast and flask with packed lunch, trip advisor can be a bit generalistic. I would see this initiative as more of an angler specific enhancement to the available review resources.

So river or even beat specific recommendations can be handy. For those keen to point out a negative experience , including a link to tripadvisor with the thread will either root out or back up any substance to such claims.
Suggestion: Would this not find a better home in eg "Favourite Rivers & Beats". Seems a bit lost in Rookies Corner, wouldn't have thought of looking in there for accom for example. :redface:
I agree: the sub forum is an excellent idea but I wouldn’t have thought of looking for it under Rookies’ Corner. Presumably, we could start threads for individual rivers within the sub forum.

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
AlanT's suggestion

Good idea, AlanT.

I don't mind how this is done but I am sure we could devise some sensible system.

Just thinking, my two days on the Dee cost £120. Then there was the gillie tip - £40. Then diesel - say £30 from Edinburgh to Drumoak and back, then evening meal, say £15. It soon mounts up. Such outlays were no problem when I was working, but now we're both pensioners trying to help our kids financially, as you do. The one place to save, it seems to me, is on accommodation. After all, most of the time there I was asleep so a luxurious bedroom is not necessary, and often such places do not allow dogs in the room. It seems to me that information about good places to stay might be rather valuable. Happy to leave it to the mods to work out how best to implement this idea.