Hot weather - dog days???

Johnfisher

Reaction score
I am traditionally a trout fisherman and know the effect of hot bright weather for stillwater trouting. Just wondering what effect hot bright conditions have on Salmon / ST fishing?

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I am traditionally a trout fisherman and know the effect of hot bright weather for stillwater trouting. Just wondering what effect hot bright conditions have on Salmon / ST fishing?
It sucks mate
First and last light your best bet. Tiny flies and tubes fishing over fish ghat just aren’t interested or not there at all because either the river is hotter than the sea so they stay at sea or there is simply not enough water in the rivers for the salmon to run it.
Sea trout fish in blackness during the night and you will do fine in warm low conditions. The sea trout can run in a trickle of water.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Best off waiting for dark before heading out when its hot. You may get a fish but you will be pissing into the wind for the most part.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Scierra

Reaction score
River water temp at its highest in the evening , best early mornings when it has cooled a bit overnight , my last 20 fishing on in the evenings the last 2019 and 2021 seasons have resulted in bot all in the net ,so much so I need to jack it in fishing evenings in the summer months,

iainmortimer

Reaction score
My club water has just closed until cooler weather due to VERY low conditions and warm water just hy of 20 degrees. Like trout, the hotter and brighter the tougher the fishing and if the water is warm then the chances of successfully returning a fish are very much reduced.

lefthandup

Reaction score
River water temp at its highest in the evening , best early mornings when it has cooled a bit overnight , my last 20 fishing on in the evenings the last 2019 and 2021 seasons have resulted in bot all in the net ,so much so I need to jack it in fishing evenings in the summer months,
☝️....Spot on....i find the evenings pretty grim at this time of the year... Much prefer the early morning shift.

Slinky

Reaction score
Just to piggy back on this thread if I may, how about stormy conditions? I’ve a day booked on the itchen at the weekend and wondering after the extreme heat, followed by the weekends forecasted thunderstorms, am I wasting my time?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The evening shift only really works for salmon in hot weather in the UK if the water temperature is comparatively low - i.e. below 18-19C. While the water temperature can get very high in some rivers, others run naturally cooler. If the water is too warm in the evening, get up as early as the beat rules allow to take advantage of the lower water temperature. As these conditions cause oxygen levels to decline, position yourself to cover places where the water is better oxygenated, for example at the heads of pools where there is a bit of turbulence. If you sit and watch with the light behind you (but don't get sky-lined) you will see salmon moving up from their residential lies in deeper water to pick up an oxygen fix before dropping back again.

You will find this explained in more detail in Calm Reflections.

The reason I stress 'in the UK' is because in eastern Canada anglers take Atlantic salmon, often using dead drifted dry flies, in water temperatures above 20C. When some years ago I used the first sentence without the 'in the UK' qualifier, a couple of Canadian guides put me straight quickly, forcefully but very politely. In that regard I do miss the very valuable contributions that Silverleapers and his professional friends used to make to this Forum.

Loxie

Reaction score
The evening shift only really works for salmon in hot weather in the UK if the water temperature is comparatively low - i.e. below 18-19C. While the water temperature can get very high in some rivers, others run naturally cooler. If the water is too warm in the evening, get up as early as the beat rules allow to take advantage of the lower water temperature. As these conditions cause oxygen levels to decline, position yourself to cover places where the water is better oxygenated, for example at the heads of pools where there is a bit of turbulence. If you sit and watch with the light behind you (but don't get sky-lined) you will see salmon moving up from their residential lies in deeper water to pick up an oxygen fix before dropping back again.

You will find this explained in more detail in Calm Reflections.

The reason I stress 'in the UK' is because in eastern Canada anglers take Atlantic salmon, often using dead drifted dry flies, in water temperatures above 20C. When some years ago I used the first sentence without the 'in the UK' qualifier, a couple of Canadian guides put me straight quickly, forcefully but very politely. In that regard I do miss the very valuable contributions that Silverleapers and his professional friends used to make to this Forum.
I'm minded to try some dead drift dries at the moment. Where I am currently the water is off the gauge low but the here are fish, some still brand new, available. There are tricky even in the relatively cool temperatures but taking very small skated dries. Your post has encouraged me to dig out some bombers!