High banks

TONY73

Reaction score
Hi , fishing a beat today on Deveron and found some of the banks real high to cast off , wading wasn’t an option as it was really deep plus fish lie hard into bank on ur side.
Anchoring the line becomes difficult as ur so high up , any recommendations for these conditions
Cheers T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 945

I used to fish a similar water. Basically I used to do a bit of a roll cast with virtually no lift at the start. Try to form the d loop in front of you (if that makes sense) Not the most elegant but it went out and having a d loop in front of you is rubbish for distance- you don’t have to cast far in those situations. Others used to snap T but I found that would catch the high bank during the forward cast

good luck!

Piker20

Reaction score
Oddly, I found a single hander overlined rolled out better than my DH for high banks.
If I've only got the DH i let a decent over hang of running line and as T7 says, a roll cast with maybe a little haul added. Really just try to fish it under the rod tip and jig the fly about.

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Try next time casting from a kneeling position or if not possible keep the bottom hand as close to the ground as possible,when we wade deep we need more height(rod tip higher)and when we are above the water we need less height(lower rod tip)this will help put more anchor on the water,as the fish are lying on your bank a roll cast is all thats needed forming as little a d loop behind as possible

wetwader

Reaction score
Yes dustybinns,
but overhead seems to be forbidden? I still use it in exactly those situations. Short and dirty...?
Nevertheless, if forced in managing this situation underhand (obstacles, trees) a singlespey, solid anchor in front of me, a longer overhang and looong arms with looong stroke works pretty well, even for some distance and more angle — but with the right line (short, heavy rear weight)!
The less angle is needed (fish nearby), the less trouble.

Rennie

Reaction score
One of my most productive pools on my fishing has a very steep high banking,covered in foliage and set back from the waters edge.
The only way to cover the water is with an overhead cast.I tend to use a switch rod and rage specifically as it's easy to pick up and off the water and hit the mark in a single overhead punt.I find keep the line moving on the dangle, if its allowed to rest then things get a lot harder.!
Casting is the easy bit,hooking a fish means a long walk to get to a spot to deal with a fish!.
Best of luck,Pedro.

D

Deleted member 21259

Set up on a standard Spey cast to get the line straight in front of you then just overhead cast it providing you have enough room behind you to do this. If not then Perrypoke it. The suggestions of rolling it out are all well and good but you cannot change direction with a roll cast.

Petekd

Reaction score
Had to do a lot of bank fishing this year due to water levels, Perry poke as previously mentioned works miles better than anything else for me in these situations. Loads of ways to improvise it to suit.