Hi from the Lake District

JasperB

Reaction score
Hello everyone

My wife and I have recently retired to the Lake District, in a beautiful spot on the River Kent above Kendal.
I’m new to this salmon fishing lark though I’ve fished all my life, and I’m finding it hard due to mobility issues. I cannot stand for long periods and I cannot even think about wading.
Any advice would be gratefully received, as would any correspondence with mobility-impaired anglers.
Tight lines
Jasper B

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Dear Jasper,

welcome to the Forum where you will find all manner of wit, wisdom and all else besides. Always keep a sense of humour and a thick skin, but remember that in salmon fishing there's no such thing as a stupid question. No one has all the answers, and we're all still learning.

I don't have mobility problems (beyond advancing age), but it seems that your disability sets some challenges but these aren't insuperable.
  • If standing is a problem (rather than standing still, if you get my meaning), it would be helpful to have some kind of easily transported support, akin to a more stable shooting stick or easily portable chair, which would allow you to rest and cast. A friend whose hips failed, fished for two seasons on the Tweed using a portable garden chair, which he would moved by 6-8 feet down the bank after a few casts. He successfully caught dozens of salmon from his chair.
  • Smaller rivers require less effort in casting. Single handed fly rods can be used relatively easily from a chair.
  • Spinning rather than fly casting may be an easier solution. You would need to find a small to medium-sized river that permitted spinning, or indeed, worming and prawning.
  • You may need someone with you to help when you catch a salmon, especially in the final stages of landing it.
  • There are plenty of places where you can fish for salmon that don't require wading.

JasperB

Reaction score
Thank you for your very prompt and helpful reply.
I have already put a “park bench” on the bank of our mill pond on the Kent and I use that a lot, though not for fly casting. I caught a brownie and a rainbow from here a few days ago so I’m feeling very positive.
I believe salmon are now being caught upstream of Kendal so they should be here soon tho in what numbers remains to be seen.
best regards
Jasper

Attachments

• DBE2CB98-07BA-4D07-BF3C-0C44D63D269F.jpeg
    DBE2CB98-07BA-4D07-BF3C-0C44D63D269F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
  • 08DB76E0-127F-4C0B-A24E-D98EBA785CA1.jpeg
    08DB76E0-127F-4C0B-A24E-D98EBA785CA1.jpeg
    424.3 KB · Views: 56

davidelemes888.

Reaction score
Hello everyone

My wife and I have recently retired to the Lake District, in a beautiful spot on the River Kent above Kendal.
I’m new to this salmon fishing lark though I’ve fished all my life, and I’m finding it hard due to mobility issues. I cannot stand for long periods and I cannot even think about wading.
Any advice would be gratefully received, as would any correspondence with mobility-impaired anglers.
Tight lines
Jasper B
Dont know what the Kents like these days but when I lived local methop-grange grange over sands 1990 salmon were plentiful used to watch them coming fresh off the tide.Newby bridge might be a better option its flat fish near the car

JasperB

Reaction score
Thanks for your response which is much appreciated.
I’ve joined the Burneside Angling Association so have access to quite a length of river outside our own estate plus a couple of tarns on the fells.
JasperB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasperB

Reaction score
Well, I must be doing something right. Caught this lovely fish last month but forgot to post about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk