Here You Go..........

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
This one sat right where you see it for 1 hour and ten minutes before it left.

He or she had a squirrel pinned in one of the spruce trees but..... Eventually the squirrel approached and gave the owl hell for sitting there. I felt sure the fur would fly but Squirrel was allowed to run down through the woods and return home unharmed. While I was loading the picture the owl split.

Pretty sure that is the Northern Great Gray Owl but have not looked it up yet. Was chomping at the bit to post the pic :)

Then this happened.

After it flew off unseen I grabbed my camera stuck it in my pocket and went out on the deck. There I stood scanning the trees all around the property but no sign of the owl. Then I looked directly to my left and there it sat right beside the deck on a little cottonwood sapling!

Mice, it's waiting for a mouse or vole to show at the base of the retaining wall. The mice set up camp in the log wall and travel to the area below the bird feeders that are hanging from the deck. Years ago when I was the chairman of Lycoming Audubon I read plenty about owls, contrary to beliefs they rely almost entirely on mice and their relatives as their food source. This is not to say that they won't take a rabbit or squirrel but mice have been found to be the number one prey source. By the way, if you've never read Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat pick up a copy. You may be surprised to learn what the basic subsistence prey of wolves consists of as well......

Took a trip through Google to be sure, it is formally known as The Great Gray Owl and is purported to be the largest owl by length. Wiki has an interesting bit on them if you are interested :)

Oh and he's still sitting there like a statue

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Had to shoot those using my Sony Handicam because the batteries in my Nikon were dead. If it hangs around a while longer I'll take the D-80 my tripod and a 300mm Tamron and go get the real stuff :)

Still there at this time.

He's moved on, dammed point and shoot cameras have made me lazy that is why my real camera was dead :shocked:

It's a new set of batteries in it but they are a use it or lose it type thing. I'd imagine they have been at least 6 months since last given a charge. I'll boost them up and stand ready tomorrow...... Too bad actually because I have the Tamron lens, a Sigma 50mm 1:1 macro and a Sigma 10 to 22 mm I think it is and I hardly use them since getting hooked on the Olympus P&S I use. I went to the Sony which by the way holds charge forever, because it had a strong zoom.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Interestingly that same owl made this a stopping spot just last year and we watched it capture a mouse down back. Our property is of a 3 acre size so there's no telling when or where something will turn up. I keep scanning for some toilet rolls out there but so far no luck :lol:

orchy1999

Reaction score
Might be waiting on you dropping with COVID 19 looks like the birds being listening to Mr Trump:)

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
aka the orange one :lol:

At this stage in life I really want my leader to be recognizably smarter than me.

SP8

Reaction score
Interestingly that same owl made this a stopping spot just last year and we watched it capture a mouse down back. Our property is of a 3 acre size so there's no telling when or where something will turn up. I keep scanning for some toilet rolls out there but so far no luck :lol:
If you find some you'll have struck it rich for sure:D