Henriks Arctic Shadow and Gaspe Shadow

britfisher

Reaction score
Anybody have the dressings for either of the above flies - as shown on the Salmologic website? In particular I am keen to know if the Gaspe Shadow is tied with a fully synthetic wing, as the commentary suggests that the fly does not absorb water.

Bf

britfisher

Reaction score
Henriks Flies

No wonder the guy catches so many fish - he's the only one using these super-effective, top secret flies.

Unless of course the members of the church of the bent handle know the dressings but have been sworn to secrecy.........!

Bf

speers

Reaction score
i have the tying ingredients for these flies as he posted a article on them and why they are so good in chasing silver. I have the copie somewhere in the house, ill have to dig it out.
i remember him going on about the shadow resembling a small fish prey species.

Reaction score
i have the tying ingredients for these flies as he posted a article on them and why they are so good in chasing silver. I have the copie somewhere in the house, ill have to dig it out.
i remember him going on about the shadow resembling a small fish prey species.

Please put it up on forum :):)

britfisher

Reaction score
Secret flies

Looks like Henrik sent a man 'round to ensure there were no security leaks!

britfisher

Reaction score
Henriks flies

To be serious for a moment: I have had a look through the back issues available on the Chasing Silver website and, although there are a number of articles by Henrik, I can't find any which specifically mention fishing with Sunray style patterns. Maybe it was a different magazine?

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
i'd have said by looking that the Arctic shadow has a silver body probably just an ally tube left bare, a wing of yellow polar bear some crystal flash then black goat on top of this, some slim grizzly hen feathers for the sides and a sparse hackle of blue guinea fowl and a black head to finish.

The gaspe looks like a silver braid body, a wing made up of orange arctic fox with black arctic fox on top then some peacock hearl and crystal flash, a set of JC eyes, a black head and finished.

Obviously you would need to take the proportions off the photos.

For the record I wouldn't say these flies are anything special and would seriously doubt they would suddenly increase your catches.

britfisher

Reaction score
Salmologic flies - the tubes they're tied on

If you look closely, you'll see both sets of flies are tied on a shrimp tube, they just vary the colour with the fly. Interestingly the Salmologic flies don't vary the size of the tube as the large and medium flies are tied on the same size of tube. Anyone recognise the make of tube?

I have both the Eumer and Phoenix shrimp tubes but the ones in the photos are slimmer and have a longer front section for tying the wing.

speers

Reaction score
just to keep this thread live , i have found the article, i will post some pictures when i have a moment this afternoon, interestingly i found the very first published trout and salmon number 1 volume 1 july 1955 amongst years worth of trout and salmon, so i will post some pictures of articles I took last night.

speers

Reaction score
unfortunately there was no fly recipe for the tying in the article , but the article is very informative , there is actually a better article with fly recipes for seatrout further on in the chasing silver issue.
ive tried to take reasonably close up pictures of the flies so hopefully you can work it out yourself.

britfisher

Reaction score
Arctic Shadow and Gaspe Shadow

I can confirm that the tubes used are the Eumer Brass Micro Crayfish tubes. 10 x 3mm for the Gaspe Shadow, 17 x 3 for the Arctic Shadow. The Gaspe Shadow is tied with fox fur - this is confirmed by info from the shop at Camp Bonaventure which stocks these flies. I still think the Arctic Shadow is tied with synthetics as this would explain much of the blurb (looks bigger than it is etc). I think the overwing is SF Fibre, but I have no idea what synthetic fibre the underwing could be. Maybe one of our saltwater brethren could make an educated guess?

Salmologic UK

Reaction score
hi britfisher

The artic shadow fly is made up of Polar Bear and the two grizzle saddle cheeks.
I have been fishing it quite a bit here in Ireland, especially the orange and brown variation, it suits our peaty waters really well.

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
hi britfisher

The artic shadow fly is made up of Polar Bear and the two grizzle saddle cheeks.
I have been fishing it quite a bit here in Ireland, especially the orange and brown variation, it suits our peaty waters really well.

The man was told this WEEKS ago. Happens my name is Scott not Henrik so it fell on deaf ears.

britfisher

Reaction score
It's taken a while.....

hi britfisher

If only you'd responded sooner........ Have to say I have always thought that polar bear absorbed water, but your message at least explains why the orange version in the mouth of that kipper on the website looks suitably wetted!