Help with zonkas please

Hemmy

Reaction score
Have recently seen a number of cracking flies on here using zonka.
I have acquired zonka strips in various colours but it all seems to be a generous 4mm width and to my eye looks a bit big .
My questions are
1) is 4 mm too wide
And
2) if it is what is best way to cut it ?

Any help and useful tips would be much appreciated

gwelsher

Reaction score
It depends on the look of the fly that you want to create whether it is too wide.
If you want to cut it use a razor blade or very sharp Stanley knife.
Keep the strip taught and cut from the skin side with the grain of the hair.
Start with a shallow cut, using a metal ruler helps keep the cut straight, and gradually make deeper cuts until you are just cutting through the skin. After the first few cuts you can generally gently rip off the strip.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Piker20

Reaction score
If you're cutting it, make a V shape as the taper improves movement compared to a rectangle

phatagrova

Reaction score
Try and get it as narrow as possible, they absorb a lot of water and in thicker style, can become heavy to cast , skagit heads work well for throwing them, I use a proper wilkinson blade, they cut like a lance , and are perfect for getting thinner strips

mc andy

Reaction score
Here is how I prepare them. Not saying it's right:eek:

My zonker is cut between 2/3mm.

_20180318_145219.JPG

Cut to a point for tying in, and I like to cut to a point at the rear as well. One prepared for tying in.

_20180318_144458.JPG

Catch the point in at the head. Wax your thread to help get a grip.

_20180318_144656.JPG

Finished job.

_20180318_145749.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0721.JPG
    DSC_0721.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 104
D

Deleted member 21259

A slightly related matter is that when you tie in the zonker strip for a wing they can become extremely floppy when saturated with water. This can result in the strip fouling the hook point or points as or just after it has been cast. It might be an idea to incorporate a sparse underwing of bucktail or calf tail to offer the rabbit fur some support. My ex missus said I was the veritable king of floppiness but that had nothing to do with fly fishing.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
On my trout lures I tie in a loop of stiff mono 15-30Lb at the bend to support the zonker strip when wet. More important when using longer strips.

Been experimenting (like others ) with doubles/singles and up to this length should probably fish ok without extra support, but much more and a tail or mono loop would help.

Last edited: