Helmsdale opening 2019

fly guy

Reaction score
The first river to open on the 11th January 2019 and as far as I know the usual free days apply as in previous years. If the weather is kind then always the chance of bar of silver.
Your chance to give the local economy a big boost if staying for a few days. Be quick as accommodation is limited in Helmsdale.
Who is going??

fly guy

Reaction score
New rules for Helmsdale Town Association water.

New conservation measures are being brought in for the Town Assoc water to bring it in line with the rest of the river.
No fish to be retained prior to 1st June.
From the 1st June local permit holders may retain ONE grilse or salmon below 12lb per week. Any fish over 12lb must be released.
As regards visiting anglers, all day tickets will be 100% catch and release.
Weekly tickets will be allowed to retain ONE grilse or salmon up to 12lb. All other fish to be released.
TWO sea trout can be retained per day although fish below 1lb and over 4lb must be released

Last edited:

orchy1999

Reaction score
New conservation measures are being brought in for the Town Assoc water to bring it in line with the rest of the river.
From the 1st June local permit holders may retain ONE grilse or salmon below 12lb per week. Any fish over 12lb must be released.
Weekly tickets will be allowed to retain ONE grilse or salmon up to 12lb. All other fish to be released.
TWO sea trout can be retained per day although fish below 1lb and over 4lb must be released.
Night fishing will not be allowed between 12 midnight and 6am

What's the ruling on if a fish is badly bleeding before the 1st of June? as I will be up fishing in May,if its the same as CAT 3 rivers, I will playing bad golf elsewhere.

Piker20

Reaction score
Been very mild again so far. River could be a little higher. Will be interesting to see what comes out. I would expect the town water to fish well if we don't see a rise.

fly guy

Reaction score
If the river is on the low side below 1'-6" head up to beat 6 below the Kildonan Falls. Tail of the Manse Pool or Church Streams could produce the "goods".
Beats 1 and 2 the deeper pools could also be good and as Piker stated in his post the town stretch could also be good.
Good luck to everyone who is going for a cast:thumb:

Piker20

Reaction score
This bloody wind needs to stop though. What's the forecast for next week?

zebraness

Reaction score
53F41077-7BC3-48FB-BE26-8EFF221F5F80.png
This bloody wind needs to stop though. What's the forecast for next week?

Well it it couldn’t be blowing much harder than it was the day for sure..

looking positive

january fly caught springer potential ?.

- ok so I got the wrong kildonan but forecast is similar - tight lines to all making the pilgrammage
z

Last edited:

zebraness

Reaction score
View attachment 34471

River height still holding and rain predicted for Saturday too:thumb:

Positively tropical over in stornoway today / I can’t remeber a more settled frost free 6 weeks ahead of opening - hopefully the springers think it’s april!
tight lines to the Aberdeen pro team ? and all others attending.
z.

riffled hitch

Reaction score
Tight lines to all who grace the
helmsdale's banks today.

Will Andy Sutherland do it again???

I may even attempt a few days later in the week weather dependant

JJ

Reaction score
God I wish I was there
First time for years I’ve missed it
Our Mandy had a bad fall there last year, missed it all as she was airlifted to aberdeen!
Tight lines one and all at a very special place JJ

hairyscotsman

Reaction score
TWO sea trout can be retained per day although fish below 1lb and over 4lb must be released.
Night fishing will not be allowed between 12 midnight and 6am

Whilst i have no issue with the new conservation measures re killing fish in the high summer the best of the grilse fishing is 3.30 am to 6 am....im assuming this will come under night fishing ? I know a few local anglers and visiting anglers like myself who will not be impressed in the slightest if this is indeed the case.

Piker20

Reaction score
Yep, the rules will be no fishing before 6am.
How those rules are policed is yet to be seen.

hairyscotsman

Reaction score
Yep, the rules will be no fishing before 6am.
How those rules are policed is yet to be seen.

Apparently the no night fishing is on the beats only. Still allowed on Association water.
Season tickets are not showing any time restrictions as far as I am led to believe.

Piker20

Reaction score
Ah that's OK. Knowing a couple of the gillies I suspect there will be some faulty timepieces on the bests too.

mows

Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kLp29lhwqJA

I ve been surprised by the lack of interest and information on the start of the helmsdale season this year.

I thought it was perhaps, just another symptom of the forums demise and the closing of Rons shop.

Looking at the opening first cast, it looked like not a lot there.

Maybe more a reflection of how long it took to land the first Springer last year.

There doesn't seem to be much interest on the Tay start either.

Cheers

Mows

Piker20

Reaction score
Definitely fewer people turning up this year. The pubs and B&Bs are normally fully booked but are feeling the lack of interest this time. Think there are fewer people bothering as the chance of fish is so low.

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kLp29lhwqJA

I ve been surprised by the lack of interest and information on the start of the helmsdale season this year.

I thought it was perhaps, just another symptom of the forums demise and the closing of Rons shop.

Looking at the opening first cast, it looked like not a lot there.

Maybe more a reflection of how long it took to land the first Springer last year.

There doesn't seem to be much interest on the Tay start either.

Cheers

Mows

To be fair that's not really an accurate representation of attendees as the minute they go down the steps to perform the first cast the rest of the anglers assembled will be off like a brides nightie up the strath :)