Hello from Oxford

Fischmann

Reaction score
Hi all – not strictly a new member, I joined late 2019 but with all the goings on haven't been on the river or the forum.
I'm hoping to get out soon, maybe Outer Hebrides so might be looking for advice on that. I've been wasting my time each Autumn on the Fowey for the last few years, so it's high time to go where there are actually some fish!
Cheers, Dean (Fischmann)

neilt

Reaction score
Hi
Used to live near Oxford.
Not salmon but the coarse fishing on the Thames, Thame, Cherwell and various stillwaters was great. Trout in Farmoor was good too.
Each to their own, good to be out and fishing though.
Neil

Hoddom

Reaction score
Welcome. After a drought year you’ll be better off trying some where other than the western isles this year!

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dean,

What style fishing you do, single hand fly rod, 2 hand casting or other? Do you tie your flies? There's lots to talk about on this forum if you're into asking or sharing things.

Welcome,

Ard

Fischmann

Reaction score
Hi
Used to live near Oxford.
Not salmon but the coarse fishing on the Thames, Thame, Cherwell and various stillwaters was great. Trout in Farmoor was good too.
Each to their own, good to be out and fishing though.
Neil
Hi @neilt – Ah yes, thrashed around on all those rivers over the years – not so much these days though – just bought a ticket for the Littlemore AC stretch near Sandford to target the Chub on the fly. Spent a couple of seasons on Farmoor and their other lake near Hardwick, though not keen on the stocked rainbow thing any longer – also lost the taste for trout after filling the freezer so often. :)

Fischmann

Reaction score
Welcome. After a drought year you’ll be better off trying some where other than the western isles this year!
Thanks for the advice – it was just a fanciful idea, spending a few days away from civilisation and all that goes with it. I saw some stuff on youtube that looked nice. I'll look at the river reports and try and time it well. Cheers!

Last edited:

Fischmann

Reaction score
Hi Dean,

What style fishing you do, single hand fly rod, 2 hand casting or other? Do you tie your flies? There's lots to talk about on this forum if you're into asking or sharing things.

Welcome,

Ard
Hi Ard

I've done a bit of everything over the years, but mainly single-handed these days, although I did just win a nice Fulling Mill 15ft travel rod on ebay so will be keen to wield that at some point.

No fly-tying, although I will whip rings on and repair cork handles etc when necessary.

I'll definitely be looking for advice, most likely for next season now I guess

Cheers!

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Dean,

welcome to the Forum, where you'll find all manner of wit, wisdom and everything else between them. Always keep a good sense of humour and a thick skin, but remember that in salmon fishing there's no such thing as a stupid question.

It will really help to go to a salmon river with some fish in it! On those grounds you're unlikely to hit the jackpot on the west coast of Scotland. See if you can get on the Allness, just north of Inverness, which is a lovely little river well suited in most parts to a single-handed rod. There are several rods on the Forum who can give you more detailed advice on the river: Allt Graad (a local) and Kype King come to mind.

If you want some basic tips on fishing for salmon with the fly, have a look at Just One Week.