Hello from a very wet Teesside

rawson

Reaction score
Hi newbie here a little bit about myself.
Coarse fished as a kid in the Tees and Swale and various small ponds. Stopped when starting work and did a little stillwater trout fly fishing. Moved away from that to persue other outdoor interests. But have this 'bucket list' item to Salmon fish and so here I am.
Called in to House of Hardy in Alnwick during a weekend stayaway with friends last year and got chatting to a very helpful guy in the shop about this 'bucket list' item. He took me outside with some of the latest gear and had a few casts whilst we chatted. He explained about the good fishing to be had on the North Tyne and on returning to the shop produced a book with a list of names and numbers. This will get you access to water with a tutor/ghillie for very reasonable rates will all gear supplied except the chest waders. Amazing value it is too, so mid September, I will have my first ever day Salmon fishing.
Excited, you bet I am!
P.S I've posted a question on tackle choice so help me if you can, thanks.

Reactions: wgs

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Rawson,
welcome to the Forum where you'll find all manner of wit, wisdom and everything else besides. It helps to have a sense of humour and a thick skin, but hiding in here is an immense body of experience and knowledge that will accelerate your learning. Always remember that in salmon fishing there's no such thing as a stupid question. In that regard the Forum has a very good search facility that allows you to mine some of the gold nuggets from the past and to explore the responses to common questions.
You've taken a very good first step with seeking professional tuition. keep it up because such learning, especially in casting, will hugely increase you enjoyment and progress.
If you want some basic tips and winter reading, Just One Week is written specifically for novices in the world of fishing for salmon with the fly. There are 107 chapters and a summary index.
Tight lines!

rawson

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, winter reading I like :) I purchased a heavy tome written by Hugh Falkus as a youngster titled Salmon Fishing, hopefully some of it will come back to me with a few more reads! Also Days and Nights of Game Fishing by W.E.Currie captivated me.

ArchieL

Reaction score
MCX Thread Just one week and all other posts from Michael are excellent reading and full of information.

rawson

Reaction score
MCX Thread Just one week and all other posts from Michael are excellent reading and full of information.
Yes, I picked up on his replies to threads and link to this. Will look forward to reading this.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Welcome bud. I love teeside and the folks of Newcastle, very nice people, that was where I went to work on my very first job as a 15 year old. Folk down there were and are ,extremely good folk and kind to a wee boy from Scotland. Any help you need give me a bell 🔔 brother......jimmythefish.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Rawson,
welcome to the Forum where you'll find all manner of wit, wisdom and everything else besides. It helps to have a sense of humour and a thick skin, but hiding in here is an immense body of experience and knowledge that will accelerate your learning. Always remember that in salmon fishing there's no such thing as a stupid question. In that regard the Forum has a very good search facility that allows you to mine some of the gold nuggets from the past and to explore the responses to common questions.
You've taken a very good first step with seeking professional tuition. keep it up because such learning, especially in casting, will hugely increase you enjoyment and progress.
If you want some basic tips and winter reading, Just One Week is written specifically for novices in the world of fishing for salmon with the fly. There are 107 chapters and a summary index.
Tight lines!
Brilliantly put Michael, well done 👍 that guy.

rawson

Reaction score
Stop it lads, I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling! lol
Seriously though, this is a very good forum and am enjoying dipping in quite a lot.

cgaines10

Reaction score
Welcome, I'm from Middlesbrough too. It's a cracking forum with plenty of activity and people are always willing to chip in. The Tyne's a cracking river & I hope you see some sport. Who have you booked with? Don't forget the Tees & the Wear too 🤞 🎣

rawson

Reaction score
Hi CG, I have a day with Johnny Wealleans on the North Tyne at Barrasford. I was given his number from the shop at House of Hardy after chatting with them about a days fishing for a newbie, all gear supplied. So I've purchased some chest waders and I'm raring to go. I'm really keen to get into this obviously so casting lessons tackle and fishings will have to come following my forray into this sport in a week or so's time.

cgaines10

Reaction score
Brilliant, I hope it goes well for. If you need any help or tips just get in touch.

cgaines10

Reaction score
Thanks, i will certainly do that. How is the best way to do that?
Apologies for the delay, as I wasn't tagged in on your reply I must have missed it. You can either ask on here openly or direct message me, which ever suits (y).