Hatch Finatic 9+ or 11+?

Petyot

Reaction score
The quest is still on... I asked about Danielsson vs Hardy Zane a few days ago. After further reading I have found some interest in the Hatch Finatic model. The Danielsson 7Twelve will go on my 11’3 switch rod in 8wt.

The reel would be for a spey rod, Loop Cross ST 13’6 in 9wt. I don’t know which model I should buy between the 9+ mid-arbor or the 11+ (MA or LA).

So far, I have found conflincting information...

Maybe one of you has some experience with a Hatch reel and a 13’6 spey rod in 9wt and could enlight me!

The idea for choosing a Hatch reel is that I also want to use the same reel for tarpon or permit and I know that the drag of those reel is amazing.

Thanks!

pfeul

Reaction score
I don't want to hijack your thread, but just to confuse you a little more. A Danielsson is a full cage reel as compared to the Hatch.
The full cage reel is a big advantage and prevent from the running line to be snagged in between the spool and the rim. Especially when using a mono running line.

squimp

Reaction score
I have 4x Hatch reels for saltwater - they are excellent Reels. I have 2x 7 and 2x 9.

the 9+ is a big reel. I have 10wt saltwater floaters on mine with 300m of 65lb gelspun.

The 11 is an absolute monster with weight to match. It might help balance a big old Spey rod but i use lighter 12 wt saltwater reels eg Nautilus.

jcmj

Reaction score
You will probably have seen rhutchinson19 has just moved on a Hatch 9+ in Swop Shop, so he will have experience of the reel - I am sure a PM to him may answer your questions.

D

Deleted member 21259

I have the Hatch Finatic 9+ it is such a fantastic, absolutely bulletproof reel that I almost bought the reel that Ryan was selling. The point about full cage reels not allowing line outside of the cage and snagging between the spool and rim is indeed a very valid one. I must add however this has never ever occurred on my hatch reel. I use mine with a 12ft 6" G Loomis NRX Scandi rod and a G Loomis 12ft 6 Stinger Scandi rod. I use a Vision 38g shooting head floating through to sink 7 and sometimes an Airflo Rage Compact in either floating or intermediate densities. I have never experienced any adverse issues with any of the set ups. Quite the contrary in fact. They are all an absolute joy to cast and fish with.

Petyot

Reaction score
I use mine with a 12ft 6" G Loomis NRX Scandi rod and a G Loomis 12ft 6 Stinger Scandi rod. I use a Vision 38g shooting head floating through to sink 7 and sometimes an Airflo Rage Compact in either floating or intermediate densities. I have never experienced any adverse issues with any of the set ups. Quite the contrary in fact. They are all an absolute joy to cast and fish with.

Thanks!

I don't know those rods. Are they 9wt rods?
Do you have the mid-arbor spool?

Petyot

Reaction score
You will probably have seen rhutchinson19 has just moved on a Hatch 9+ in Swop Shop, so he will have experience of the reel - I am sure a PM to him may answer your questions.

I sent him a PM and he also suggest that the 9+ will be more than enough

squimp

Reaction score
The 11+ is complete overkill for a 9 wt salmon set up. Unless you want to balance a really heavy rod.

I used my 9+ in Alaska last year (for kings) and there were several others Fishing there using the same reel. Needless to say it did The job just fine.

D

Deleted member 21259

Thanks!

I don't know those rods. Are they 9wt rods?
Do you have the mid-arbor spool?

Both of those rods are rated at 38g which effectively makes them 9 / 10 rated. You should bear in mind they are both short rods and very designed for shooting heads. The reel has loads of capacity and should easily swallow up any 9 weight line and backing that you choose to spool up on it.

nickolas

Reaction score
I don't want to hijack your thread, but just to confuse you a little more. A Danielsson is a full cage reel as compared to the Hatch.
The full cage reel is a big advantage and prevent from the running line to be snagged in between the spool and the rim. Especially when using a mono running line.
I would agree with the above advice. When you have a big tarpon on the end you don’t want any additional problems other than the norm of trying to get the thing to the boat or when your shooting a line out at the fish. Hardys fortuna takes a lot of beating for stopping power and is fully caged, I have several Hatch reels and they are good reels, I have had to send Hatch reels back to the US with drag problems. Some abels are fully caged and are bomb proof all be it the cork need a little looking after, so much to choose from.

squimp

Reaction score
I would have a Hatch before an Abel any day.

i currently own 4 Hatch reels and have had no problems with any of them (apart from a bit of corrosion on a handle bearing - sorted by Hatch FOC). I have also not had any issues with the line and the cage. ive caught plenty of tarpon, bonefish, permit and even king salmon on them.

I have owned 3x Abel reels and they were extremely temperamental - even with the correct maintenance. Furthermore when I gave up and tried to sell them it wasn’t easy.......

I have never used a Hardy reel in saltwater sizes - so I can’t comment on them.

Last edited:

Petyot

Reaction score
I would agree with the above advice. When you have a big tarpon on the end you don’t want any additional problems other than the norm of trying to get the thing to the boat or when your shooting a line out at the fish. Hardys fortuna takes a lot of beating for stopping power and is fully caged, I have several Hatch reels and they are good reels, I have had to send Hatch reels back to the US with drag problems. Some abels are fully caged and are bomb proof all be it the cork need a little looking after, so much to choose from.

I went with Hardy : two Fortuna XDS (8000 and 10000, I will resell the one I won't keep) and a Ultralite MA DD 8000. I found some very good deal for the Hardy, not so much for the Hatch.

nickolas

Reaction score
I went with Hardy : two Fortuna XDS (8000 and 10000, I will resell the one I won't keep) and a Ultralite MA DD 8000. I found some very good deal for the Hardy, not so much for the Hatch.
I think you will like the Hardy, they have huge stopping power with A large range its settings so can be set quite softly for salmon if you let the fish take the line of the real when they take, there is only one other real that has the stopping power of the fortuna and that’s the mako, but make sure you point the rod straight at the fish or you will be looking for a replacement rod. Have a great trip.

Kin36

Reaction score
I got a hatch 11+ cheap. Amazing reel but beware of shooting line disasters. Happened to me last week with fish on. Had to take reel off and sort out the mess. Got fish in . Have changed shooting line and will monitor. Full cage is better

Howie

Reaction score
The quest is still on... I asked about Danielsson vs Hardy Zane a few days ago. After further reading I have found some interest in the Hatch Finatic model. The Danielsson 7Twelve will go on my 11’3 switch rod in 8wt.

The reel would be for a spey rod, Loop Cross ST 13’6 in 9wt. I don’t know which model I should buy between the 9+ mid-arbor or the 11+ (MA or LA).

Maybe one of you has some experience with a Hatch reel and a 13’6 spey rod in 9wt and could enlight me!

The idea for choosing a Hatch reel is that I also want to use the same reel for tarpon or permit and I know that the drag of those reel is amazing.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Hi there, I have used Hatch reels for Saltwater works and never had any issues. Depending on the size of the Tarpon your after you could hedge your bets and use a 10 which is what I use for permit. Loaded with gel spun or braid.
Whether it has enough capacity for your Spey line is the issue. But certainly Hatch are rock
Solid. I used to own a Hardy Zane but sold it. It felt like a fake Rolex. I have also owned Danielsson again rock solid. So H or D just find the right weight to balance your rod and line capacity.
Cheers
Howie

Maltfish

Reaction score
You will never regret a full cage reel - depending on quality. But there is always the possibility of that agonising moment of panic when you are into a big double and suddenly the reel jams if you are not using a full cage.
As others have said with full size running lines and quality reels it is rare, but with the move to mono running lines it becomes more likely..

nickolas

Reaction score
You will never regret a full cage reel - depending on quality. But there is always the possibility of that agonising moment of panic when you are into a big double and suddenly the reel jams if you are not using a full cage.
As others have said with full size running lines and quality reels it is rare, but with the move to mono running lines it becomes more likely..
I somewhat agree with the nylon bit, had a Nautilus 12 that when used with a nylon running line you would find the nylon coming out the back of the reel, as if some magician had got hold of it, never had it with 9wt Hatch.