Haslam

SnapT14

Reaction score
One of my favorite all time flies .....

This is my take on a Haslam with a few twists. The body is palmered with a natural badger hackle, the wing is mallard and I've left out the Macaw. This is for two reasons, 1 I don't like them and 2, I just can't make them look right....

This is tied on a Bartleet #8
20210501_183410.jpg

gwelsher

Reaction score
(y) (y)
Very much the way I tie it. But I do like the Macaw. The fish probably don't give a damn but I like it :)
I have also tied it with small JC cheeks which looks nice but ditto Macaw above.

iainmortimer

Reaction score

This is my take on a Haslam with a few twists. The body is palmered with a natural badger hackle, the wing is mallard and I've left out the Macaw. This is for two reasons, 1 I don't like them and 2, I just can't make them look right....

View attachment 60588

I have to agree on the macaw, it looks okay on a big 4/0 classic but I think its looks out of place on the Haslam. I like the darker colours of yorur version, could be ideal when we have the current low and clear water! Great hook choice too.

SnapT14

Reaction score
I have to agree on the macaw, it looks okay on a big 4/0 classic but I think its looks out of place on the Haslam. I like the darker colours of yorur version, could be ideal when we have the current low and clear water! Great hook choice too.
Thanks Iain, appreciate your kind words. I do like the Macaw on flies tied by other people but when i use it I always end up removing it. Agree also that the big flies look great with it, but on smaller hooks it's a real pain and as all of my flies are intended for fishing it won't be included! 😊

keithick

Reaction score

View attachment 60588
Very nice SnapT14 , i ken wot u mean about macaw its a royal pain in the hoop 🥴🥴

Andrew B

Reaction score
Haslam is a really great fly and I should have some in my fly box as I’ve seen what a great taker of salmon this fly is on the Teifi. Saw one bloke exasperated with a pool full of salmon and they were either taking short or just rolling over his flies. Old farmer comes down and comes in above the pool and takes a bright silver salmon immediately lol.
First bloke just walked off sulking and the old guy just packed up but showed me his fly box full of Haslams for salmon and Dunkelds for Sewin. Those old guys who I hardly see now, were always so good at turning up and taking a fish on an evening.

When you mention macaw, do you mean horns as I can’t place what’s missing on the wing? I’m also guessing Jay would be the original throat material?

SnapT14

Reaction score
Haslam is a really great fly and I should have some in my fly box as I’ve seen what a great taker of salmon this fly is on the Teifi. Saw one bloke exasperated with a pool full of salmon and they were either taking short or just rolling over his flies. Old farmer comes down and comes in above the pool and takes a bright silver salmon immediately lol.
First bloke just walked off sulking and the old guy just packed up but showed me his fly box full of Haslams for salmon and Dunkelds for Sewin. Those old guys who I hardly see now, were always so good at turning up and taking a fish on an evening.

When you mention macaw, do you mean horns as I can’t place what’s missing on the wing? I’m also guessing Jay would be the original throat material?
Correct and correct. Horns from a Macaw quill and Jay in the throat. I just prefer guinea fowl. I think the wing should also be hen pheasant

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Love the pattern and love your tying SnapT. It's a shame featherwings are underrated these days. Whilst I agree the more mobile the fly and materials the better in a good current a small feather wing fluttering looks as life like as any fur wing.