Hardy Zephrus 13'6 #8/9

Henke

Reaction score
Hello
Hopefully some of you know this rod well - I need some advice regarding lines.... From what I have found out so far (have not tried the rod yet) the rod is a bit underclassed. So 8/9 - is more a 9/10 in numbers..?
Normally to me 8/9 will be in the range 30-35 grams. But from what I have seen so far - 35-40 gram is mentioned for this rod (heads in the range 11-12m).
I guess that the Hardy Rocket in 8/9 would suit the rod (otherwise it will be strange…) but again a 8/9 rocket is close to Guideline 9/10... !.. :)

Any thoughts ?

I would appreciate your practical remarks on what works for you? (as an example: Rio Versitip #9, Nextcast 9/10 ….and/or..?)

flytay

Reaction score
Henke,

You are correct. I think this rod needs 38 grams to get the best out of it unless you are an expert caster. I use mine with a Rio AFS head 38 grams or a Rio Versitip 9/10 and it flies.

Hope that helps.

Steve

tynelobster

Reaction score
Hello
Hopefully some of you know this rod well - I need some advice regarding lines.... From what I have found out so far (have not tried the rod yet) the rod is a bit underclassed. So 8/9 - is more a 9/10 in numbers..?
Normally to me 8/9 will be in the range 30-35 grams. But from what I have seen so far - 35-40 gram is mentioned for this rod (heads in the range 11-12m).
I guess that the Hardy Rocket in 8/9 would suit the rod (otherwise it will be strange…) but again a 8/9 rocket is close to Guideline 9/10... !.. :)

Any thoughts ?

I would appreciate your practical remarks on what works for you? (as an example: Rio Versitip #9, Nextcast 9/10 ….and/or..?)
Depends very much on your ability and style of casting - if possible try different lines on it yourself and see what suits you best before you buy.

Gordon a

Reaction score
Gaelforce equaliser spey line 54ft 38 grams, rio scandi shooting head 37.6 gram and airflo rage 570grain /37gram, all work very well on this rod

Method man

Reaction score
I used the Gaelforce EIH 10# @ 39g & it flew off it but I prefer the 54’ Gaelforce short head Spey line & @ 38g. It just suits me better
I also use the barrio iss 9/10 Spey line which is really nice to fish with.
I much prefer a Spey line to a shooting head but that’s just me......
It’s a very powerful rod & I enjoy fishing it but don’t get as much use of it as I’d like due the rivers I fish.

Kin36

Reaction score
Interesting I have used with AFS 8/9 and it went very well. I really like this rod and suspect it might be more versatile than I thought. Will have a go with some gaelforce spey lines next month. One of the good things about the forum is picking up from others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Salmonkid

Reaction score
Hi there. I would definitely look at the Rio Skagit Max 650grain, I used this line on the rod and it is absolutely effortless. Great distance and brilliant turnover of heavier tips and flies.

Ke65082

Reaction score
Hello

Any thoughts ?

hello you will need to go a 9/10 works way better a line size up, if you get a Rio afs outbound in 38grams which equates to 580 grains it casts beautifully their very line fussy rods most of the new sintrix dh rods.👍