Hardy Zephrus 12'6" 7/8

ballintemple

Reaction score
I have one. A superb rod. I've used it mainly with a short spey head & tips, tho' I found I needed an 8/9 to work it comfortably.

larry_grayson

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, 3 out of 3 in favour.
The next question is which line to use, I am looking at a Rio Short Scandi VersiTip with 10' tips but I've never used one. Any suggestions?

Kin36

Reaction score
I suspect you will need the 8. The line is quite a short head. Good all rounder but delicate it is not. Great if you are fishing tips and will happily cast fast mow tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sprintavoj

Reaction score
I use a 30 gramme ESSS on mine with 10ft poly leaders and find that it works just fine. I would agree that you would feel the rod load more with a higher grain weight but, like a lot of modern rods these days, It has quite a wide grain window (you adjust your cast to suit).

I use my 13ft Loop Cross for my 8/9 (34/35gramme) set up, but I've read and spoke to other people who prefer to use 37/38gramme lines on it. It really depends on your casting style in my opinion and you can also throw in the confusion of different line manufacturers interpretations on line ratings.

I also use a rio scandi short versitip in 8 weight and this works fine.

Hope this helps, but it's only my opinion and I'm by no means a casting "Guru".

P.S. They are a lovely, well finished rod. (y)

Rennie

Reaction score
If it helps any, I have the 12ft 6 ins 7 weight Hardy Zenith, as all Hardy rods, it needs a line weight up on it's recommended rating(in this case an 8 weight!)
I use a Barrio 7/8 ISS Spey line, 510 Scandi compact, 510 Rage and 8 weight Rio SSVT. If your rod is more 8/9 the 8 weight SSVT might be a touch light?- thats certainly worth the thinking about?
One thing in the SSVT, they are a 1/2 way house between a Scagit and a Scandi line, they are certainly clumpy in their std. form and very prone to skipping anchors etc as they're a short powerful line!.You will find that if you walk the SSVT path the line will perform to its best with at least a 5ft poly. of an appropriate density on the end of any of its existing 10ft sinking tips. It will perform better still with a 10ft poly. in place!
On my Zenith I prefer the Scandi 510 compact(Airflo) when I want to use a shooting head or the Barrio ISS 7/8 when I want a full line.Both go like stink and will carry/turn over any poly. and tube combo you may well wish to use(within reason!, lead core and 4" of brake piping might be a tadge too much!).
Any way, cracking rods!, Pedro.