Hardy Zephrus 12’6 7/8 vs Gaelforce Equalizer ESSS 33ft ?

Henke

Reaction score
Anyone using the Zephrus and the integrated (short version) Equalizer ESSS Switch/short Spey Float combination ?

Personally I am thinking that I should choose the 8/9 version instead of 7/8….?
I handles slightly heavier lines than I thought when I bought it…

This is my references so far..
Rio Versitip short in #8 works fine….and also the LTS SCSS in 7/8 (great line by the way !).

paddymc

Reaction score
Anyone using the Zephrus and the integrated (short version) Equalizer ESSS Switch/short Spey Float combination ?

Rio Versitip short in #8 works fine….and also the LTS SCSS in 7/8 (great line by the way !).

I don’t have that line or that rod, but, I do have the Hardy Zephrus 14’6 9/10wt, and it is definitely a 10/11wt, needing a 42g head at least to be at it’s best. The Zenith range was exactly the same.

On that basis, I would definitely be going for the 8/9, but, if you have any doubt, contact James Chalmers directly and he will keep you right.

Bruino

Reaction score
I use the 8/9 30g ESSS off a hardy zenith 12ft6inch 8 weight perfect match tried the 27g just a bit light Have the Zepherus 13ft 6inch 7/8 and cast the 9/10 33g good combination

Rennie

Reaction score
I have the 12ft 6 ins. Zenith rated 7 and I'm finding 510 grain in Airflo's Rage and Scandi Compact are both perfect which equates to 33gram.I've a Barrio 7/8 ISS at 30g which go's really well too!.
Hope that helps, Pedro.

Henke

Reaction score
Thank you for your replys. I am almost sure it needs a 8/9 to be at its best......

Fons

Reaction score

I have bought that line in #7/8 for my Loop Cross ST 7124-6 and that felt much too light for my rod and is now workless after just one little test. One size heavier would have been much better. If you buy directly in UK, be aware of extra import duties in EU. I payed nearly 150 euro's for it all included : selling price, shipping costs, VAT reduction in UK, new VAT in EU, administration fees and import taxes.

Henke

Reaction score
I have bought that line in #7/8 for my Loop Cross ST 7124-6 and that felt much too light for my rod and is now workless after just one little test. One size heavier would have been much better. If you buy directly in UK, be aware of extra import duties in EU. I payed nearly 150 euro's for it all included : selling price, shipping costs, VAT reduction in UK, new VAT in EU, administration fees and import taxes.
Thanks.
Yes I am aware of the new situation regarding trade and UK. It reather stopped with the Brexit....In DK it is normally close to same price as previously - except a Duty-fee (20 GBP).

J15hy

Reaction score

I have the Zephrus 13 and 14 footers. previously the Zeniths too. Always follow the gram rating stated on the bottom section for a shooting head; its bang on. And yes they are generally a line up. I have used the 14' and it has handled the heaviest of sinking lines, the 13' generally only going to sink 3/4. Great rods!!