hardy zane no 3

onelastcast

Reaction score
anyone familiar with the hardy zane no3 -not the titanium one-is it a good reliable reel ,Ive had mixed reports on some of the other far east made hardy reels thanks onelastcast

DEEROD

Reaction score
I had one , excellent reel . Bit tricky to change spare spools !! The no 3 is a bit on the big side , no 2 would be better suited to any fishing in the uk.

Dee

fishing_spirit

Reaction score
ive got the no 1 zane and
used it all last season on my single hander but
when i got it out to use this season
i was pulling line off the reel and there was no click
although when reeling in i could hear a click
so took it back to the shop and guess what
it had to go back to hardy

i'm either very unlucky with hardy reel's or they just aren't as good as they once were. Ive sent back a 11/12 angel 2 three time's before getting
a new one ive sent back my demon reel and didn't even have that a full season and now the zane. To be honest if anyone asked me
advice on a reel i wouldn't be pointing in the direction of any hardy reel that's for sure.

fishpond

Reaction score
Hi OLC,

I have a #3 and it's great good drag, lovely click, solid and strking without being bling - no issues so far for me and just good reports (including from folk who do far more fishing than me) until the post from FS. I know they have had issues with the korean MkII cascapedia and the word on the web was that the MkIII had been upgraded to use the same bearing as the Zane - maybe urban fishing rumours but hopefully FS's reel was an isolated case - not least as I have one for sale!

Richard

Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I had one , excellent reel . Bit tricky to change spare spools !! The no 3 is a bit on the big side , no 2 would be better suited to any fishing in the uk.

Dee

Aye,

The spool is fiddly enough. I looked at taking it off and erred on the side of caution :eek:

They are heavy reels though and the 2 is about as big as i would go as well for a 14 or 15ft rod.

I've the 0 and 1. The 0 was got for a single hander but doesnt balance it and the 1 goes on a 12ft 6 Lpxe no problems at all. The 0 might be better suited to a switch rod or similar.

bender

Reaction score
They are heavy reels though and the 2 is about as big as i would go as well for a 14 or 15ft rod.

Perhaps you mean light. Zane 3 is lightest reel with strong brake for its capacity . Zane problem is too wide spool which might cause problems if you don't help line spooling evenly when fish has taken a lot of line out.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I mean heavy.

I used a Konic 3.5 most of the year and switched to the Zane 0 near the end. Big difference in weight and balance on the same rod.

nomlas

Banned
Reaction score
As someone told me earlier today "different strokes for different folks" :D

For me they are light but it all depends on what you are used to and the setup you use!

Zane Size 0 8.29oz WF7+150 #6/7
Zane Size 1 9.24oz WF8+200 #8/9
Zane Size 2 9.73oz WF10+300 #9/10
Zane Size 3 10.33oz WF12+400 #11/12

Nomlas

silverleaper

Reaction score
Zane

Purchased a No 2 on advice of Forum, best reel I have ever had very reliable with a fantastic clutch that will handle all that its had to do, perhaps its a little heavy but not that you notice after casting a short time, No 2 is large enough for a 15ft rod.

jimthefish

Reaction score
I had one , excellent reel . Bit tricky to change spare spools !! The no 3 is a bit on the big side , no 2 would be better suited to any fishing in the uk
Dee
This is your answer posted back in 2011. I originally owned both the Zane 2 & 3. I sold the no3 model and still fish with the no 2 to this day. One of my favourite reels and it balances rods up to 15ft.

mc andy

Reaction score

This is a no3 on a 13ft7". Guideline reaction. I don't agree with others advice of it being heavy or that a no2 is better suited to a 15ft. But we are all different.

Tim1984

Reaction score
Would you say it’s too bulky the 3? I have an skb fly reel and thinking of purchasing the zane 3 as the skb on strip down looks like it will cripple under strain with plastic bearing racers.

mc andy

Reaction score
They are wider than other reels, but if you like them you just stick it on and get on with it personally. Photo next to anither 10/11# reel guideline watergrip

IMG_20200509_113159.jpg

IMG_20200509_113212.jpg

jimthefish

Reaction score
Would you say it’s too bulky the 3? I have an skb fly reel and thinking of purchasing the zane 3 as the skb on strip down looks like it will cripple under strain with plastic bearing racers.

There is no 100% correct answer here but having fished with both, I am giving impartial advice and for me I 100% prefer the No2 model for salmon fishing.

My Zane no2 coped impeccably with this 38 pdr. It was hooked while wading and took some phenomenally long runs in shallowish water. At no time did I feel undergunned. It was on a 14ft Swift but it balances beautifully on my 15 ftrs too.

One point to consider here is that the Zane has long since been discontinued so it might not be that easy getting hold of them. If you can't source a No2 model then by all means get the 3. Super reels which I can't recommend highly enough.

Last edited:

gaula

Reaction score
Iv'e been using my Zane No2 for the past 6 years on my various 15ft & 14ft6 rods, without
any problems,
regarding removing the spool, for maintenance, again I find it quite straightforward if you take
your time. I find the drag excellent,

hope this helps.

Balticer

Reaction score
I got zane no 0. Very reliable and nice looking reel. The only thing to complain is spool changing. It is hard to do it on the water. You need coin to dismantle the bolt and then take off few parts. It is easy to drop something.
I have one spool, size no 0 in mint condition for sale if anyone is interested let me know by PM

Loyalist84

Reaction score
One of the fellows I fish with uses a Zane No. 3 on his 10wt single hander, he prefers it over reels worth 10x the money.

Seetrouter

Reaction score
zane no 2 on 15fter, great reels , wish I kept them .....

Attachments

• 480AF18F-17D7-4AA4-9549-45CB678D5D12.jpeg
    480AF18F-17D7-4AA4-9549-45CB678D5D12.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77