Hardy Ultralite NSX DH

Rockpool

Reaction score
Anyone tried one of these yet ?
Interested to hear how they compare the the Zephrus and Zenith.

Denho486

Reaction score
I bought the 13.6 and 14.6 here in Sweden late October replacing my zephrus counterparts.

Just had time for a quick test before the snow and ice arrived for this winter.

In my eyes both the Zenith and Zephrus were underclassed rods the 14.6 was more of a true 10 weight and the 13.6 a true 9 weight.

However the same lines felt heavy on the nsx ultralite rods. My 37 gram head which I used on the zephrus 13.6 felt to heavy on the 13.6 nsx rod, but was spot on with the 14.6 instead.

I believe Hardy even wrote recommended head weights on the blanks as lower then what they had on the Zephrus rods.

But I have to do more testing come spring.

Best regards :)

Rockpool

Reaction score
I bought the 13.6 and 14.6 here in Sweden late October replacing my zephrus counterparts.

Just had time for a quick test before the snow and ice arrived for this winter.

In my eyes both the Zenith and Zephrus were underclassed rods the 14.6 was more of a true 10 weight and the 13.6 a true 9 weight.

However the same lines felt heavy on the nsx ultralite rods. My 37 gram head which I used on the zephrus 13.6 felt to heavy on the 13.6 nsx rod, but was spot on with the 14.6 instead.

I believe Hardy even wrote recommended head weights on the blanks as lower then what they had on the Zephrus rods.

But I have to do more testing come spring.

Best regards :)
This line weight chart from a dealer’s website aligns with your experience. So they seem to be the actual weight of the stated rating rather than one weight up like the Zephrus and Zenith.
Are you able to say how they compare with their predecessors from your brief testing session?

Last edited:

Denho486

Reaction score
This line weight chart from a dealer’s website aligns with your experience. So they seem to be the actual weight of the stated rating rather than one weight up like the Zephrus and Zenith.
Are you able to say how they compare with their predecessors from your brief testing session?
Yeah its the first Hardy rods I own that actually is classed correctly. It made me thinking why Hardy did this now and not on the Zenith or Zephrus rods.

Anyway from the quick testing I made I could tell these rods are very very light in hand, creates lots of line speed when you match it with a fitting head in the right weight. I also tried some heads which was to heavy as I said. The rod could handle them for sure but I think they lost their touch a little bit then.

Very easy casting like all other Hardy rods ive had and outstanding craftsmanship best in class with my opinion.

37 grams 11 meter long nam shooting head was perfect on the 14.6, And I am sure the step down head on 32 grams 10.5 meter is equally perfect for the 13.6 rod.

Rockpool

Reaction score
Yeah its the first Hardy rods I own that actually is classed correctly. It made me thinking why Hardy did this now and not on the Zenith or Zephrus rods.

Anyway from the quick testing I made I could tell these rods are very very light in hand, creates lots of line speed when you match it with a fitting head in the right weight. I also tried some heads which was to heavy as I said. The rod could handle them for sure but I think they lost their touch a little bit then.

Very easy casting like all other Hardy rods ive had and outstanding craftsmanship best in class with my opinion.

37 grams 11 meter long nam shooting head was perfect on the 14.6, And I am sure the step down head on 32 grams 10.5 meter is equally perfect for the 13.6 rod.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Would you say they are more like the Zephrus or the Zenith?

Denho486

Reaction score
Thanks, that's very helpful. Would you say they are more like the Zephrus or the Zenith?
Neither since both the Zenith and Zephrus are underclassed according to me if you took a Zenith or Zephrus 13.6 and matched it with a 8 weight head on around 32 or 33 grams the rod was a stiff stick couldnt feel it load whats so ever, you needed a 9 weight head on 37 grams for it to come alive.

Zeniths were true sinking line rods lots of power but less feel pretty stiff top section of the rod, the Zephrus took it down a notch still a cracking sinking line rod but not the same as Zenith. Zephrus have a little softer top section which made the rod more delicate and more easy casting.

I havent casted the NSX enough to make any call on which rod i think its more like, from wobbling the rod indoors I would say its not as stiff in the top section as the Zenith, from what i remember the Zenith where very stiff rods. But the NSX feels more sturdy in the bend then the Zephrus rods.

NEbody

Reaction score

Why should the NSX be like either? It’s worth noting that Hardy have also quietly dropped the Demon range. I think the Demons worked better with the lines they were rated for than the heavier lines that the Zenith seemed to need.

Rockpool

Reaction score
Neither since both the Zenith and Zephrus are underclassed according to me if you took a Zenith or Zephrus 13.6 and matched it with a 8 weight head on around 32 or 33 grams the rod was a stiff stick couldnt feel it load whats so ever, you needed a 9 weight head on 37 grams for it to come alive.

Zeniths were true sinking line rods lots of power but less feel pretty stiff top section of the rod, the Zephrus took it down a notch still a cracking sinking line rod but not the same as Zenith. Zephrus have a little softer top section which made the rod more delicate and more easy casting.

I havent casted the NSX enough to make any call on which rod i think its more like, from wobbling the rod indoors I would say its not as stiff in the top section as the Zenith, from what i remember the Zenith where very stiff rods. But the NSX feels more sturdy in the bend then the Zephrus rods.
Thanks very much. I'll stop pestering you with questions now !