Hardy Perfects

chriswjx

Reaction score
So I know Hardy reels go for a fair bit, and even the vintage ones keep a decent value. But is this fella pushing it here? 2 grand for what to me looks like a fairly worn and abused example?

Finglas

Reaction score
From the images it actually looks to be cracked and rusted. Need to have a lot of cash to drop 2k on that.

I've actually been looking at perfect reels recently. I've always liked them but if I bought one and i ended up with problems with it I'd be sick as a pig. I've had various hardy reels that have problems for no apparent reason, e.g cascapedia and angel 2. They've had to go back to hardy for repair a few times.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I did a quick check on the used gear and collectible web sites I visit and Perfects tend to run from $400-$800 on average depending on age and condition.

Rrrr

Reaction score
For 2k you would think they would clean and grease the inner workings.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Richardgw

Reaction score
Agree he is taking the pi** &/or trying to find some gullible purchaser with more sense than money.

The 'rod in hand' logo reels do sell at a premium particularly the smaller trout versions, but they need to be in good condition.

chriswjx

Reaction score
I did a quick check on the used gear and collectible web sites I visit and Perfects tend to run from $400-$800 on average depending on age and condition.

I've failed to find one on UK eBay that sold for more than £500. In fairness, most/all looked like they may have been a slightly later vintage, but certainly my initial reaction when I saw it was that this fella's having a laugh... Glad to see I wasn't overreacting

Scierra

Reaction score
So I know Hardy reels go for a fair bit, and even the vintage ones keep a decent value. But is this fella pushing it here? 2 grand for what to me looks like a fairly worn and abused example?

some shocking repairs on the reel,, as the seller stated ? if they are repairs to the 2 fractures on the reel? makes it nye on worthless £200 at best any sucker willing to splash a bit cash

Last edited:

Spey Salar

Reaction score
Vintage Perfects are very popular in Canada and the US among spey fishers. And for that matter, so are the smaller Hardy reels. Good reels in salmon sizes from the pre-WW II period will easily bring US $1000 or more. If you're lucky, you might pick one up for a bit less. Of course as with all things, condition is everything--the better the reel the more it will bring. And features like line guards, or not, will affect the price. As will different check mechanisms--Dup. Mk. II, 1906, 1912 etc. The 1912 checks are generally the most coveted.

The reel illustrated is NOT an example of what I'm talking about.......

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would never even consider that. Perhaps the seller thinks that because it's 4 1/2 inch it is rare? 4 1/2 are not common but neither is asking 2K for such a specimen.

I have had several (5) of the reissue wide spool perfects and the only warning I'll put forth is that you should carry spare springs.

Finglas

Reaction score
I would never even consider that. Perhaps the seller thinks that because it's 4 1/2 inch it is rare? 4 1/2 are not common but neither is asking 2K for such a specimen.

I have had several (5) of the reissue wide spool perfects and the only warning I'll put forth is that you should carry spare springs.

By reissue does that mean today's modern versions? I'm interested in one but I've had duff hardy reels before and it's a lot of money to splash if they are going to be problem prone!

Thank you

chriswjx

Reaction score

TayRaider

Reaction score

Scierra

Reaction score

WillowMan

Reaction score
That reel is a pile of crap!
It has more issues than is worth fixing.
If it was in good/mint condition then it would be worth 2k as it is a Brass Faced Perfect in a very desirable 4 1/2 inch size.
I have a mint one and they are fantastic reels.

Ke65082

Reaction score

the reel has actually 2 cracks to the frame and 1 on the spool just off centre, and it also has had the handle moved on face plate moved . caliper is very rusty looking too. not worth anything in my opinion tbh.i collect them myself.